Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HIDROGEN -

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pedro Jatob polycounter lvl 8
Hello guys, i recently finished working on my post grade project called "HIDROGEN".

The project was done individually, all models were created by me using Zbrush / 3dsmax. For the renders was used Marmoset Toolbag. For retopology and textures bake I`ve used Topogun.

You can check out more images in my portfolio. Its still under construction, but I`ll manage that soon.

This project is based on a development of an artbook for a game called: “HIDROGEN: A galactic Odyssey” which takes place on a parallel universe.
This game consists in realistic graphics, making use of a scientific fiction matrix, as already seen on games like Darksiders and Borderlands.
The platforms (Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC) were chosen for this game in order to assert its individual realism. They are able to provide next-gen graphics.
The main difference in this game is its major reference: The epic Odyssey, a classic of world literature, which was written by Homer. Besides the other references, not disparaging its original ideas.

Character1.jpg
Character31.jpg
ClayRender21.jpg
Character21.jpg
ClayRender11.jpg
Props11.jpg
Props42.jpg
Props31.jpg
Props21.jpg
Environment11.jpg
Screenshot11.jpg

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    None of the images are showing.
  • Pedro Jatob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Snader, you sure? I`ve already tested in another computer and the images are ok... you still having problems? Let me know !
  • HendrikN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can see all of them :D would love to see some wires of your characters :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool style :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah. They work now. Maybe they hadn't finished uploading when I checked yesterday yet.

You say the game is supposed to be realistic, graphically, but when I look at it I see some very cartoony influences and it reminds me quite a lot of Borderlands, actually. Particularly with all the crystals and glowing lights. As a result of that, the more realistic bits (mainly the skins) kind of clash with the whole.

I think you could have benefited from stylizing the character sculpts a bit more, and simplifying the textures a bit. Also, the face of the moray eel is rather noisy because of all the bumps and dents, and (to a lesser degree) because of skinwrinkles.

Lastly, you've got a rock-hand and spacemarine boots, without any sort of way to make the two elements come together cohesively. Same goes for the moray head on a human body. All the elements seem to be a bit thrown together. For example, why is exactly one leg crystallized and the other perfectly clean? Why are there no fins and other fish-like elements on him? You need some more, smaller elements to tie things together a bit.

Technically, this is quite good, and I've only got a few points. First is that you've got some texel size issues, with the larger crystals being kind of fuzzy. Secondly, the floating semicircles are too neat and clean. The texture shows they've clearly been broken at some point, but the model and silhouette don't reflect this at all. They're also a bit on the lowpoly side.
  • Pedro Jatob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HendrikN : Thanks man ! I`ll upload some images for you, gimme a sec.

Chiniara : haha, thanks for the words Fillippe! You better start to post something too!

Stromberg90 : Hey Stromberg90, I`m glad you like it ! I got some references from Borderlands / Darksiders / Mass Effect... It was quite dificult to mix the elements but I`m happy with the result.

Snader : Hey Snader ! Thanks for the long critique, it`s always nice to see people suggestion, thanks for the big help !

Yes, I was thinking about making a realistic game, but the goal was to achieve some borderlands graphics, with the outline and some cartoon paint.

Maybe the skin texture got a little realistic because its very clean, I think I got the point... The moray came after, at the end I wasn't that happy with the texture, maybe I lost some points with the final render, I tryed to change the color and blur some details but it was getting worse.

For the characters, its really difficult to tell what happened to them inside Hidrogen universe without reading the history. I know it wasnt supposed to happen, the concept has to explain for itself isnt it ?

Ulisses (Main Character): He`s a cosmonaut from the 3rd millennium. A mercenary who, over time, make a self-criticism of his life and decides to change its course. So he decides to join a mission that aims at saving the Earth. Overheated by the indiscriminate use of highly polluting energy matrices of the atmosphere, the planet Earth is doomed to disappear beneath the waters, after the total melting icecaps. Due to the impending catastrophe, Ulisses enlisted to participate in a mission that aims at the discovery of a new source of clean energy.(HIDROGEN)

He finds those Gloves, inside Thurak a planet 85% covered y water. Hidrogen is the clean energy that he was looking for.

Murena (Moray enemy) : They are creatures devoid of their own volition, entirely at the service of Polifemo, a natural born predator. After a great war on that planet, the Thurakians fled to the waters trying to save themselves. The few who stayed there with the intention of stealing the HIDROGEN, suffered a type of mutation
  • Pedro Jatob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some screens from Ulisses wireframe:

Wireframe2.jpg
    Wireframe1.jpg
  • Pedro Jatob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    before getting to the red cloths I was using that blue one, what you guys think ?
    1kCZL
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool man. Yeah, I think the darker pants work better. You wanna create contrast between that and the metal pieces, so you should think of the pants as a background for them.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna go and say that red works better because it sets the character apart a bit from the environment's overwhelming blue tints.
  • Pedro Jatob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The map of Thurak, the planet where everything happens was created using a technique called "Mind map"

Its is often created around a single word or text, placed in the center, to which associated ideas, words and concepts are added.Sorry about the portuguese words, I hope you guys understand the idea !

1kJT0
    1kJTD
    1kJTN
    1kK6w