Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Siege of inaolia environment/texture art

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks, I've still got a lot to learn myself, but I'm glad it's helpful!
    I'll be adding a pretty big collection of reference images soon.

I've been working on some foliage since my last update.
    I haven't done much foliage before so I used this page extensively.

960x536.jpeg
    I made the grass a bit brighter at the top after this screenshot. I also need to fix the tree shading, they're too dark on the bottom in UDK.
    960x564.jpeg
    960x564.jpeg
    960x564.jpeg

Also working on a shield. Not 100% finished yet, could use some feedback.
    I think I need to either get rid of the spike or attach it to the shield, because it's not shading correctly.

WR4sW93l.jpg

high res
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    these textures are awesome, these are looking great!

teach us your ways of doing wood.
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    I love the sword work. Nice job!
  • Wingednosering
    All of your stuff is looking great, I'm quite impressed. Do you have a general layout or concept piece, so we can see what you're working towards?

Also, how are you doing your wood and metal textures? Do you have a massive metal photo library you're working from? Your metal textures are consistently stellar.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks guys!

I've been unable to do a lot of work lately due to some personal issues.
    Here's a small update:
    960x564.jpeg
    960x564.jpeg
    960x564.jpeg
    960x564.jpeg

All of your stuff is looking great, I'm quite impressed. Do you have a general layout or concept piece, so we can see what you're working towards?

Also, how are you doing your wood and metal textures? Do you have a massive metal photo library you're working from? Your metal textures are consistently stellar.

Thanks! You can view most of the concept pieces on our indieDB page, but it's mostly character art and general environments. For the props I just make what the level designers need and use my own vision of what it should look like.

I have my own personal collection of textures, which you can download here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118025
    Though I use a lot of textures from cgtextures as well.

I'll try to make some more texturing tutorials when I work on something interesting, but it probably won't be for a while :(
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    God damnit! Last 2 screens are awesome! Can you tell us something about creation those textures?
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    God damnit! Last 2 screens are awesome! Can you tell us something about creation those textures?

Thanks! :) for the last texture I used this as a base: Dp8gOZU.jpg
    Just made it tileable and used some adjustment layers to change the contrast/colors.
    I also used Ndo2 to create a normal map and displacement map.

For the stalactites and stalagmites I sculpted high polys and overlayed my bakes onto the same texture.

I've been thinking of doing a tutorial on making tiling textures, but if there's anything specific you'd like to see a tutorial on let me know and I'll do my best to make one.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make some tutorial for sculpting conifer bark :D Just kidding.

Do you used Parralax Occlusion Mapping or it's tessalation? Or maybe just flat plane with amazing normal map?

Sorry for PRO english :d
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Make some tutorial for sculpting conifer bark :D Just kidding.

Do you used Parralax Occlusion Mapping or it's tessalation? Or maybe just flat plane with amazing normal map?

Sorry for PRO english :d

For conifer bark I wouldn't really sculpt anything, I'd just use ndo2.

I used parallax occlusion and some very slight tessellation.

And don't worry about that, it's fine :p
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm... I tried ndo 2 several times, but it wasn't that what I expect :D

For the tree you can, attache every plane with the leaves, and then edit normals: The bottom is very dark, so move the bottom normals slightly up. When you edit vertex normals, try it without textures, it's better to see what you want to achieve.