Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Disruptor - TBA

Current progress:
My final submission sheet.
TechMageStormHarness.jpg

My first dabbling on Disruptor. Going to give him a more robust armor set. Not sure what i'm doing totally yet, but I kind of like the direction the mask is heading. Just exploring some shapes on the weapon atm.

firststop.jpg

Replies

• Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some more progress. a few variations on the helmet.. playing with colors a bit. Also wondering if I should stay true to the original and have the A-sym for the shoulders.

sculpting2.jpg
  • Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coool I like the nose guard thing on his mask
  • tjallen8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, I like the helmet. It looks a bit space-agey, but I guess that's what you're going for. If you could tone down the sci-fi vibes, that would possibly be better. But I like the direction.

I think the colours are contributing to the space-helmet effect, like the neon green near the mouth. Maybe using more leather or metal tones would work a bit better, since he's riding on a leather saddle. I think his leather belt with the blue details would be a good reference for the colour scheme on his helmet.

I like the asymmetry on the shoulders, but I think you should try having one "main" shoulder, then one smaller one with less detail. But probably best not to leave one shoulder blank.

Looks good so far, though.
  • foeffa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the visor idea for his head!
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'll be widdling away at it tonight after work. I'll see about posting some shots with some of the suggestions.

I like the idea of the A-sym with a smaller shoulder. prob play with that idea a bit.
  • Minus50DKP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minus50DKP polycounter lvl 8
    nice! looking good cant wait for the texturing, you should be able to save tris by making the balls geosheres
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting4.jpg

Messed with some of the colors and A-sym based off some of tjallen8 comments. Thanks for that.

I can def see it having a totally dif vibe depending on how the texture is done. Space/age versus a more "real" style.. for lack of a better term.

Not sure i'll have the poly count for the second shoulder.. I double checked the limit and its only 150 tris... not sure i'll be able to fit both shoulders in that. See what I can do when the time comes.

started messing with the shapes of the bracers and added the cloth part that will be dangling from them.

I'll move to the backpack and get all the core shapes down for that. Once thats done i'll move into a bit more detailing. I'm not sure how far to go with that. Seems from such a far distance only but the largest details will read anyway.

For example, putting dings and banging up the armor, I suspect they would have to be pretty big dents etc. to even be easily seen.

Thanks for the geosphere comment Minus50DKP, wasnt even thinkin too much about it. double checked it in 3DSMAX.. def will work better then using the regular one. Which i prob would have ended up using.

Still have to figure out the weapon as well. I did see some vids and notice his attacks have a slashing motion.. but he is a ranged char. Was thinking of putting some blades on it to correspond to his slashing motions but making it primarily a caster looking weapon.

Futashia and Foeffa, thanks for the comments as well! Glad you are enjoying it so far.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting5.jpg

messed around with the idea of trying to unify everything a bit more. I think i'm getting some where. I think.... I also removed the item around his neck. I feel it added to the sci-fi and just made that area look more cluttered then it needed to be. Without that piece I think it really adds more separation and focus to the face/mask.

I'm thinking I will add some small metal bands to make it look like the shoulders are attached to his uniform.

I have a stronger sense of what the arm pieces will look like or are heading as well as where my material seperation is. I like the idea of them looking like they are laced up on the forearm with the large rivot and metal brace part holding it on.

Might have to rethink the backpack a bit more now. Got sidetracked a bit today was hoping to get to that today. Then I still have the weapon. So much to do so much to do.. lol

Any comments questions etc. are more then welcome.
    Cheers!
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting6.jpg

Which direction? I personally enjoy the half mask/visor with the hood. 5,7,3 I think... I am pretty undecided right now though. I do think #3 suits more keeping his hair.. which seems a dominant feature of picking out who he is on the field.

I think the hood could pull him back into looking more like a caster, which based on my reading/research is more of what he is.

I was also experimenting a bit with the idea of electical powerlines of some sort draping over from the back where his hair used to be. seen in 8, which could be interesting when I start refining his backpack more.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting7.jpg

Latest progress. Still a buncha sculpting/refining/concepting to do before getting to the Low poly. Gotta make sure this gets all wrapped up by next weekend otherwise the clock will be ticking.

Decided I didn't want to go with something so blunt for a weapon. Was thinking more along the lines of a mechanical device that he uses to interact with his backpack more then an actual melee weapon. Since he is a caster.. although I did put a small blade on it just for those up close and personal moments.

I'm kinda curious.. if I wanted the gears on his equipment to actually move. Anyone have ideas how I would do that when it comes time? can I just keyframe it and will it loop automatically in the engine? or would you have to put bones in them and have the bone spin?
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    accidental double post. removed it :-D
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting8.jpg

Weapon sculpt is pretty much done. I need to move on to other parts now. I'm pretty solid on my direction now. "Tech Mage" is the general idea i'm going with.

I'll finish up his backpack, then i'm going to revisit his armor to incorporate some of the tech elements into it. Like hoses, gears etc.

I feel I like this direction for Disruptor due to his ranged combat and this line from his bio.

Although small for his kind, Disruptor is fearless, and driven by an insatiable curiosity. As a youth, while still unblooded and without a stryder, he explored the ruins of the ancestral cities—searching through collapsed and long-moldering libraries, rummaging through rusting manufactories. He took what he needed and returned to his tribe. Adapting a coil of ancient design, he harnessed the power of electrical differential and now calls down the thunder whenever he wishes. Part magic, part craftsmanship, his coils hold in their glowing plates the power of life and death—a power wielded with precision against the landed castes to the South, and any interlopers who cross into ancient Oglodi lands.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    That weapon is tight!

Is that valve meant to impact the functionality of the weapon because if so it needs to get patched!
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting9.jpg

sneak peak on the backpack. did not get as far as I wanted tonight. Was hoping to finish the backpack sculpt tonight.

Thanks BrontoThunder! glad you like it. As far as the valve, he only needs at least one to be functional. That is why the other side is patched :-)
  • DanBe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice update on the backpack! I like where this is going. I might be a bit concerned about the rivets in the tubes, that they wont hold up from a distance. I would play with larger scale.

Keep it up!
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting10.jpg
    sculpting8.jpg

Gonna leave the pack at this state for now and keep moving.

Gotta go back and adjust the hose on the weapon to match this one so it'll show up a bit better. Thanks for that tip DanBe. I lost track of that a bit. This should work a bit better.
  • DanBe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better! i like where its heading! also like that you inverted the spheres this way it will make more sense when they shoot electricity between each other.

keep it up mate!
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting11.jpg

Almost ready to move on to the lowpoly. just want to try a few things and finalize some items.

Tech Mage - Disruptor.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, on to the lowpoly. Hopefully everything works out there. I've had problems in the past with normals etc. which usually leaves me with less time for texturing or in a position where my details did not read well.

I've never actually made LOD models before either. This should be interesting lol.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baking01.jpg

First bake for LOD0 of the weapon. I'm trying to find info on the LOD1... if we use seperate textures? what texture sizes do we use etc? I've never really done this before so i'm just trying to find info on the best way to do a LOD as well.

Only info I see is poly limit for them. Also.. as far as poly budget. I notice disruptors Main LOD0 is actually 420 tris. Do we get some extra to play with budget wise? I suspect the workshop compiler is going to spit it back saying I am over budget based on my early tests with importing.

anyone know where I can find this info or send me in the right direction?

Would be much appreciated. I'll keep looking around until then.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingametest1.jpg
    Getting there.... but for some reason my textures are coming in reversed? Either that or the spacing is not correct in the UVs? when I did my UVs I only used half the UV space, then figured I could cut the bottom off. I think this is causing it not to stretch properly?
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingametest2.jpg

Apparently I have to squish the UV space? so this fits correctly.. so it is better to just use the entire UV space, paint texture etc. then squish it when you are ready to export? seems odd.. is there a better way to do this?

I should re-iterate the fact the weapon is using a 256x128 texture space. and not a 1-1 256x256

ingametest3.jpg

I redid my texture and UV's - I figured I'd post a bit more about what i'm talking about. Maybe it will help someone else save some time. You can see I have my UV's in the 1-1 space, then after i render it i change the image size to reflect the 256x128 ratio i need. The image on the left is the ingame image using the above textures.

Also, for those in-experienced with making LOD's as I am. The best method I found was making the LOD0, higher version... making the maps. Then apply your maps to the object and start removing/welding points/edges as needed. You will get direct feedback from the texture if you are removing something too crucial. Helped me quite a bit.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingametest4.jpg

Item 2 in the game and working. Ready to be textured.. 3 more to go. LOD0 and 1 done for both items.

Backpack took longer then I was hoping.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Im surprised to see so few comments in this thread, your sculpts and game rez items look amazing. Really solid work, looking forward to seeing some colors and shaders!
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lenny! Appreciate the comment. Looking forward to texturing everything as well. Just pushing through the tech work atm.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingametest5.jpg

Shoulders in and rdy for texturing... 2 more to go. Helmet and bracers left. Then on to texturing.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingametest6.jpg

Helm is in, bit of a clipping issue with it when in motion. tried playing with the weights a tiny bit to see if I could get something going with them. so far no luck.

1 more piece to go, then texture time.
  • nellyb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nellyb polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking really nice! I'm loving the look you're achieving with the mix of tech and magic in the pieces.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingametest7.jpg
    last item in.. last steps TEXTURING! and some weighting.

Thanks for the encouragement NellyB.. much appreciated!
  • KaiserKloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaiserKloud polycounter lvl 6
    The facemask remind me to dr. Doom XD However nice work !!
    Only a question how you make the lighning? Particles? If yes how you get particles in the game engine? (ok they are 3 questions XD)
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Kaiser, I don't have that info. The particles here are already existing on the character.
  • KaiserKloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaiserKloud polycounter lvl 6
    Kralzar wrote: »
    Sorry Kaiser, I don't have that info. The particles here are already existing on the character.

Ah ok, thanx anyway ^^
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturetest_04.jpg

Started texturing the helm slot today. Looking forward to a good weekend to get a good pass done on these pieces.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    compileerror.jpg
    Since there is still a week left for texturing I decided to take a day to try and figure out how to import the entire set in game using the old compiling methods.

I'm stumped right now though. I am getting this error about a bone not being found? or bound to bbox? even though I have exported all bones.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturetest_05.jpg

first pass on shoulders is done. Had to redo them today in order to eek out what I could from the UVs. First time I did them I wasn't getting enough texture space.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturetest_06.jpg

first pass on bracers done. backpack and weapon to go. then a pass to tighten everything up.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturetest_07.jpg

first pass of texturing on backpack done. on to the weapon then final pass to make sure everything is meshing together and tweaking spec/mats.
  • nellyb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nellyb polycounter lvl 5
    it's beautiful! Perfect! Amazing! You nailed it!....
    ...but
    It feels like the purple on the back pack is too flat..maybe you could play with the tones a bit on different pieces of it? or add a third colour to it?
    As it is right now, it's hard to make out what is going on in it...
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturetest_08.jpg
    first pass on weapon is done... Going to go back and try and adjust colors a bit etc. see if i can pull everything together a bit better.

also did a quick comp in PS to get an idea what everything looks like together.

comptest_01.jpg

Thanks for the crit Nelly. I'll see what I can do on the second pass to make things read a bit better texture wise.
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tt.png

Got to some of the texture updates. Weapon/Shoulder/Bracers..
    old on left, new on right.

Bracers got a bit dark.. i'll bump them up tomorrow before I start on the other pieces.
  • Salvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures are reading much better, those little subtle colour and contrast changes/ highlights you dropped in are really helping, not looking so flat anymore!

Looking good buddy, keep up the hard work!
  • nellyb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nellyb polycounter lvl 5
    looking much nicer!
    can't wait to see more!
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DisruptorDota2_01.jpg

Just some messing around, did a render of where i'm at with the items.

Thanks guys appreciate the comments.
    Also thanks Salvo for some of the tips on bumping up my texture quality. If anyone hasn't seen Salvos work on the boards here check it out. It's some nice stuff!

Heres a link for convenience.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107907&highlight=salvo
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    awesome progress =]
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of my final sheets I'm working on. I'll post the rest tomorrow when I submit. Been some time since I posted so figured i should put something up. :-D

Tvidotto - thanks man! means a ton coming from someone so talented.

I updated this sheet to my final.
    TechMageStormHarness.jpg
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few front page item sheets.

My workshop page is here.
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=111347905

WeaponSheet.jpg
    ShoulderSheet.jpg
    HelmSheet.jpg
    BracersSheet.jpg