Old (#1)
So I decided to drop the Purrge were-cat idea for Lycanthrope in order to explore an earlier idea. My initial plan for this set was to replace Beastmaster's creature slots with a tentacle tapir & dragon duck duo. The dragon duck idea has since evolved into a fruit bat/duckbill hybrid. Alas, the tapir stuff didn't seem to go anywhere, instead it turned into a horned sloth (which also fits the beast's slowdown attack better). The tentacle idea has shifted onto the Beastmaster himself and the other stuff just sort of fell into place. The concept is probably going to change slightly along the way. I should get started with the model though since time is running a bit short..

Offline , triangle, 484 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004,  

Old (#2)
Looking good no real critic on design I say do what ya wanna do.
meh, drinking is bad.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,009 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#3)
Hah, this is really damn cool in a really weird way! Gogogo!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,611 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location Germany  

Old (#4)
Holy shit, if you'll pardon the expression.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,364 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Paris, France  

Old (#5)
So good. It's gonna be the best item set for beastmaster, but the purrge for lycan is a great idea too.
Offline , null, 7 Posts, Join Date May 2012,  

Old (#6)
I dont dig the axes. He's a beastmaster, not a butcher.
Offline , line, 50 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#7)
What the fuck!

Holy shit!
platypus bat lololol

this is insane! well done!
Offline , polycounter, 880 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location The Netherlands  

Old (#8)
both creatures look great, really creative. also really digging his belt!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,101 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#9)
you really have a fascinating imagination!
awesome design again and beautifully painted, though it misses the consistentie your lycan design had,
it's cool you have very distinctive animals, but for gameplays sake the beasts should be clearly belonging to the beastman, don't you think?
but I'm sure it'll all come together once your modeling so by all means start so we can see this awesomeness finished! xD

btw, Beezow has a point there, it's giving the feel of a butcher, which is a bit conflicting with his love for animals!
OR what I just think off, you can turn it around and make it so that he wants to make others feel what they do to animals when they slaughter them!
you could make that clear with a good name for that item slot

hope my comments help!
Offline , triangle, 288 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Belgium  

Old (#10)
You really did a good job on the Beastmaster, it's very original with the flying platypus, the sloth-bear chimaera and I'm actually liking the non-axe weapon on him which seems to be too mainstream.

As for the weapon may I suggest the Macuahuitl, an Aztec wooden sword with blades made of obsidian. The sword looks primitive and fits well with this and the original Beastmaster theme.
Offline , null, 2 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#11)
SOOOOOOO Good! Looks great.
Offline , Moderator++, 1,583 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Austin Texas!  

Old (#12)
Thank you guys! LuCh, that's very helpful indeed - I'm hoping that I can make things a little more consistent looking in the modeling and texturing process. The color schemes are just based on his current outfit and creatures for now and I'm pondering about adding war paint on Beastmaster's accessoires and the sloth, and maybe some tattos on the batypus' wings. As for the butcher knives, yeah he's absolutely using those for vengeance, not for animal chopping

Here's some 3d progress. I'm going to use this project to get back into ZBrush by the way, which I haven't touched since 2007 or so. Dynamesh owns SO HARD.

Old (#13)
Absolutely splendid stuff. Your creature designs are great!
Offline , vertex, 41 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location UK  

Old (#14)
damnnnn peppi! sweet deal! What was your process for the scales?
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,101 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#15)
awesome!
Offline , polycounter, 880 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location The Netherlands  

Old (#16)
waw, awesome sculpt!
the war paint idear sounds great, the tattoos on the wings I have to see first!
Offline , triangle, 288 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Belgium  

Old (#17)
Absolutely love this
Offline , line, 80 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#18)
Nice plat, you don't seem rusty with Zbrush at all, this is looking great.
meh, drinking is bad.

Old (#19)
Your work is beautiful. Really inspiring stuff. I love the sloth beast.
AKA Blender2Dota AKA Zenchuck AKA Andrew Amundrud
Offline , triangle, 306 Posts, Join Date Jul 2006, Location Quebec, QC  

Old (#20)
SO goood Mr.Peppi! Love it!
Jacque Choi
Senior Character Artist
Eidos Montreal - Deus Ex
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,676 Posts, Join Date Aug 2006, Location Montreal QC, Canada Send a message via MSN to JacqueChoi  

Old (#21)
this is unfair =]
Offline , Moderator, 1,584 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location São Paulo - Brazil Send a message via Skype™ to Tvidotto  

Old (#22)
Probably my most favorite entry for Dota besides your Werecat! Hope Valve will put it in the stores, cause i want this set!

Also you should go back and finish the Werecat as well if you have a chance.
Keep it up!
Offline , line, 66 Posts, Join Date Dec 2011, Location Vancouver Send a message via MSN to DanBe  

Old (#23)
Thanks everyone!

bounchfx, I'm not entirely sure if there's a smarter approach for this (probably is) but I sculpted those manually. DragRect with some scale Alpha would probably have worked to some extent but from what I've seen/tested so far it wouldn't have given me the full control over placement, size and all that, so I took the slower route, starting with a cross-hatched pattern and then building from there.

$!nz, Thank you, yeah I'm very happy that I haven't run into any massive obstacles within ZBrush so far. Still learning tons of stuff every day and starting to get a faster with it..

Here's a sloth beast update. There's a few things that need tweaking but time is running short, so for now I'm gonna move on to the costume stuff. The fur is mostly made with Dam_Standard - it is a dam fine brush.

Old (#24)
Damn fine indeed, I love that guy and yea after importing you pretty much can get away with It as is, just make the textures all pretty (as you sure can) and your golden.

Btw, your welcome.
meh, drinking is bad.

Old (#25)
Holy fucking damn!
Offline , polycounter, 938 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Sydney Send a message via Skype™ to BrontoThunder