Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Cosy post-apocalyptic hideout

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
ivars polycounter lvl 15
I'm doing some environment practice and UDK learning by creating a small scene.
It's an old castle ruin turned in to a cosy home in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Right now I haven't got much more than the start of a basic structure of the ruins.

I plan on making a little outdoor scenery to match, and maybe some landscape backdrops as well.

Any help is more than welcome!

Here's some shots of the ruin:
UDK_Wip_05.jpg

And in this previous screenshot you can see the whole structure as I plan it:
UDK_Wip_04b.jpg

And here's some shots of my first attempt at a landscape:
UDK_Wip_04.jpg

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how much this level reminds me of a Quake level on the inside. The lighting looks nice the way it bounces around in there.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks man!

Started on some props so I won't get too bored.

Making a iron stove:
    UDK_Wip_06.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Cool stuff! Is that a vertex blend shader for the stones, or decal? I feels kinda unnatural that the damage is handled like it's one piece of stone that's sculpted.

If it's a vertex blend shader I would use the sculpt for your stones and sculpt in the damage there. And use a proper heightmap for mask, or well. Maybe a heightmap mask isn't necessary..
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Nice :)

The inside of it reminds me of the house you can buy in Solitude in Skyrim.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    It is indeed a vertex blend shader, but it's not supposed to be damage, it is going to be used to add plaster/grout on and between the stones. I wanna use a generic texture so I can use it on all assets, it would be a huge impact to use a specific damage texture for all assets. Right now it's one smaller tiling texture that I hope I will be able to blend in to make some variations.
    I have baked height maps for all assets that I'm using in the blend.

The painting however is just a test at the moment, so is the detail-texture I'm using. Hopefully it will look better once done properly :)
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Update on the stove

UDK_Wip_07.jpg
  • pjl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pjl
    very nice, can we have wire of the "castle"
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    pjl: I'm afraid the wireframe in UDK is too messy to be able to see anything but here's the wires of some of the assets. The rest is in similar resolution. The tesselation is pretty dense to allow for vertex-painting later on.

UDK_Wip_09.jpg

And here's how the stove looks when it's in UDK:
    UDK_Wip_08.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that little stove thing looks great man
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Sipher!

Did a table and started on some cooking gear for the kitchen. Still lots more needed :)

UDK_Wip_10.jpg
  • pjl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pjl
    damn it's pretty simple and it look so nice, thanks :)
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Scene is looking awesome, that brightly colored plastic bowl in the last picture seems way out of place though, everything has this old feel to it and the bowl feels to new (I know it's damaged and stuff, but I'd expect pottery in a scene like that, not plastic.)

Also the Stove seems a bit small, but maybe I'd need to see a player next to it to get a better feel of the size of things.

Other than that, really clean work! Keep up the awesome work.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks ace! Any plans on some more bigger damage on the building itself? Like parts of the roof laying on the top floor and walls that collapsed?

That stove came out really neat!
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    Is the texturing of the details all done by hand in photoshop? Or was there some sculpting done? The place looks great though! Maybe a little variation on some of the walls textures. A decal of a crack or something to break it up a bit?
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the glass bottles (of olive oil/vinegar?) on the table. Would be awesome to see how you did the material in UDK with some sheets if you have the inclination...

Everything looks really nice and clean, good start :)
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the support guys!

MeintevdS I see what you mean. My plan is to make it look like salvaged goods though, not a medieval castle... I'll keep it for now, but if it sticks out too much in the end I'll change it :)

sltrOlsson Yes, I do. Whole top floor will be semi-broken and I will make some rubble and stuff to spread around :)

Lord Waffles Most of the stuff is sculpted and baked, and then a little extra normal-detail added in Photoshop. I will use vertex colors to paint in some variation in the walls, I also plan on doing some custom bricks to insert in places.

m1neh Sure thing. I'm not very experienced with materials in UDK, so I'm sure this is a bit of a hack. I ended up having to use 2 different materials for the glass and the bottle to get the sorting right.

Here's a screenshot of the glass material, and I'm using a similar for the liquid.

UDK_Wip_13.jpg

Also, preparing some dinner in the kitchen :)

UDK_Wip_12.jpg
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the breakdown, whats going on with your opacity mask with the gradient and the corners of the bottle - is inverting the opacity generally a good shout for a transmission mask on glass?

Food props and knife looking sweet!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Haha dang, I love all of this!! That little stove is the best xD Bookmarked threadd
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    m1neh: Not sure actually, but I was trying to achieve the look that the glass was thicker in places...

Jessica: Thank you. I'm a big fan of your environments so your comment really means a lot to me :)

Haven't gotten much work done lately, but I did this little flame thing with plenty of help from this awesome tutorial: http://vimeo.com/33473526
    However, It's not a particle emitter, it's just a plane. I added this code, that I found in a thread here on polycount, to keep the object facing the camera: http://www.3dality.co.uk/UDK_Z-Axis_BillboardMaterial.jpg

And here is what it looks like (sorry for the bad capture) Textures could still do with a lot of tweaking, but I think it looks pretty decent...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENHFBJBdUds&feature=youtu.be
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Got a little time to work on this again. Started experimenting with some exterior. Made a modular rock and built some cliffs.

Grass is super temp.

UDK_Wip_13.jpg

Edit: Here's another view of the rocks:

UDK_Wip_14.jpg
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    So nice, like it , is that cliff and other rock, only one rock model ?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks. Yes it's all the same piece.

I add the grass and the horizontal lines i worldspace through the material to make them all blend together better.

Here's what it looks like on it's own:
    UDK_Wip_15.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! Maybe find a way to break the lines a bit? Doesn't it create overdraw like crazy?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks man!

I'm not sure how UDK handles it, but I think they have some pretty nifty culling...
    The scene is running very smooth at the moment, though it's far from populated so we'll see if I run in to any problems once I've added everything...

Threw together some grass as well, still just a first draft but still makes a big difference I think.

You are right about maybe breaking up the lines a bit. I think it's possible by just tweaking the texture I'm using. Will try that :)

Edit: I realize now that the scale of the grass is off, it's too large compared to the scene, even for tall grass. Will fix that too :P

UDK_Wip_16.jpg
  • eMotive11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really loving this, cant wait to see more!
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    rocks are looking pretty sweet, the striation really sells it, abit more waviness would be cool
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Cool stuff! I'm sure this is going to look great when finished ^^
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Haven't tried this but to break up the lines would it be possible to run a cloud or some sort of noise into the UVs of the world position in order to give it a little variance?
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    ivars wrote: »
    UDK_Wip_12.jpg

Um...This could be my favorite game art kitchen table/table props I've seen in quite some time, if ever. Feels very tangible, has an animated film quality to it. Fantastic work!

Also...how the hell do I subscribe to a thread? Cause I want to do it :)

I'll be following this little guy and hopefully be able to talk lighting with you once the scene develops a bit further. At the present state, the contrast is a little on the flat side and the exterior is a little washed out (though I know you're still getting set up). Really great work so far!

-Jon
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Lovely work mate, i could clearly see this in a game somewhere. MOAR!!
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    ahh i like this! glass looks really nice to, will be subscribing :D
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could for rock do vertex shading in UDK to add some moss or other variations to rock, cliff.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    You sold me on those rocks. Subscribed.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, maybe mask it randomly, with a noise texture that you scale up a lot. And on top of that add some offset with noise to the UV, just a little. When you'r zoomed out it feels kind of constructed with those lines :)

You should mix the grass with some dead straws and maybe take down the density. UDK grass SHOULD look that big. Just look at Epics 2010 (?) demo ;)
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Wow, thanks guys! Happy to see so many comments!

Gannon: Thanks for the advice. I tried it and it works pretty nicely. it breaks a bit in between the boulders in some cases, don't know why, but it still looks better than the complete straight lines. So I think I'll stick with it.

Endfinity Jon: Thanks man. I hope you stick around and help me with the lighting. I completely agree on your remarks.

RaPtoR_v9600: Thanks for the advice. For now I'll stick with slope-based grass, but if I feel the need to control it I'd definitely go for some kind of vertex blending.

sltrOlsson Great tips. I will definitely break up the grass with some flowers, weed and dead straws :)

I got inspired by the ZacD's grass (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115761&highlight=misery) and decided to add a wind effect on top of my animated grass. I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm not at all happy with what the post-effects are doing to my grass though. Can't seem to get rid of the bloom-effect that makes everything all mushy...
    Did a capture of the grass in motion here. It's all animated UV:s in the material with random start times for the individual actors and a world space wind effect that pans across the scene.

Check out the video on youtube here:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Cdx3t_sbc"]UDK animated grass - YouTube[/ame]
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try some variations between sizes of the grass patches, and its me or its grass too green but nice wind interaction great work
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    a couple of lower grass patches might help,
    looking nice :)
  • Satotiga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Satotiga polycounter lvl 11
    This is really charming, good job. I hope you don't mind me saying its simple, but it still looks very nicely done.

Also, thanks for the breakdown of your materials, I've recently got a good grip on the material editor in UDK and I've been looking for new materials to try out!
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    This scene has a lot of charm about it. Those leeks and onions look damn tasty too! :P
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    I really like this scene - it looks like it's supposed to be there; which is a feat on its own :D
    Can't wait to see more.
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really good , how you plan to add grunge or dirt ? tilable material or decals ?