set link
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/f.../?id=111419268

Full Set

Fearless Hawk

Axes

Damaged Double Axe (shoulder)

Wild Boar

thx for everyone that commented and helped this set to be finished =]

Last edited by Tvidotto; 12-04-2012 at 01:06 AM..
Offline , Moderator, 1,507 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location São Paulo - Brazil Send a message via Skype™ to Tvidotto  

Old (#2)
Hey guys!

im glad to enter the contest with all those good artist here, i hope we will create awesome itens for the game =]

for the last 3 months i passed creating some couriers to the workshop and for the contest i will do my best trying to make a better Best Master. One of my favorite heroes and one , imho, that could be improved a lot

here are my other works for the workshop
Silly Dragon Courier
Gatuja Courier
Death Bringer Courier

Ok, about the ideas, first some study over the model and lore

imho, the boar and the hawk could be alot improved and some details like the belt and that "scarf" on the shoulders of Karroch (the beast master)

there is nothing that force his style of armor and clothes in the lore, he is a beast master that rebelled against his king, and fled with an animal companion

i really like his body painting, specially on the face, that adds a lot to the character but could be used also on his pet

my first idea is to take off that "scarf" of the shoulder, i think he will appear much more fierce and savage with more of the shoulders showing, but he hasnt an usable mesh under that

so i will need to model the trapezium muscle and the connection with the shoulder, also match the texture, normal map and the pixel resolution

that will lead to another task, as they are set itens, they need to work without the other ones, so the head part need to fit that scarf and the shoulder need to fit with any head piece

the head piece hiddens a role on the "scarf"

i will need to take that in consideration in any of head pices, they need to cover this hole.
Offline , Moderator, 1,507 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location São Paulo - Brazil Send a message via Skype™ to Tvidotto  

Old (#3)
Here are some concepts on the head piece, im still not sure if i should touch his hair, i really like it and it helps to create a good sillhouette on the dota´s view angle, but here are some ideas

i think that the skull helm fits better with the character, but im still not sure

thanks in advance for any suggestion

Old (#4)
Lovely head concepts...i vote 6 & 7
Offline , triangle, 342 Posts, Join Date May 2005,  

Old (#5)
yeah #6 is bad ass
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,958 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#6)
Im liking #5!
Offline , triangle, 311 Posts, Join Date Dec 2011,  

Old (#7)
5 or 6, I think 5 helm with 6 horns might look pretty good as well.
Offline , triangle, 334 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012,  

Old (#8)
Hey guys, really thanks for the suggestion, im making a google docs with the votes =]

its 8am here and i need to sleep, im destroyed

belt concepts

here i have the same problem like the scarf, i cant use the under model

so i need to cover it entirelly

some more concepts

i think he could carry one or two extra axes on the belt, the original horn doesnt make much sense since he is more like a lone warrior with his beast

Old (#9)
Very nice
My portfolio http://lukapavlovich.carbonmade.com/ --- Add me on steam >>> tehsplatt
Offline , polygon, 559 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011, Location New Zealand Send a message via MSN to TehSplatt  

Old (#10)
Number 4. I'm unable to resist a war kilt.
Offline , spline, 180 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#11)
Yea #4 kilt but your going in the direction of all horns if you also make that buckle.
Nice concepts otherwise.
meh, drinking is bad.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,009 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#12)
01 and 04 "Pelvic Thrust Attack!"

I think 6 or 8 for the head. 8 looks more 'functional'. 6 kinda looks functional, but would prolly be a hassle in a fight or mobility. Might get stuck on stuff with it sticking so far out.

And I like 2 for body. Because since i chose horns for the helmet, it will be too much to have the same thing for his belt. I like the skull one, but the threads make it look like they got eyelashes. lol. #2 is more manly man.
Offline , spline, 126 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#13)
great guys, i will start to mix some options later this week

here are some ideas for the axe

Old (#14)
#4 or #5, I like 5 more.

I was going to say the dragon heads but everyone is trying to add in a dragon head. ;)
meh, drinking is bad.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,009 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by $!nz View Post
#4 or #5, I like 5 more.

I was going to say the dragon heads but everyone is trying to add in a dragon head. ;)
thanks man

a friend suggested me to test a metalic skull on the axe, maybe that will fit better without being like the others

but i like too the cleaner ones, the 3,4 and 5

Old (#16)
here comes the fun part, the beast

on the game it says "boar" but the beast doesnt appear too much a boar and the lore does not define what the beast is
based on that i was planning on doing something more appealing, the first idea was a lion, the beast master dressed like a zulu warrior with a lion would work well

my girlfriend also did some sketches for me

after couple hours drawing i wasnt happy with the result and decided to change and start over, i started to go to something more like a boar, messed with some predator fangs and a couple random ideas. im still not tottally happy with this one but i like it much more then the lion idea =]

just something that i need to take in consideration is that it have a ranged attack, and even in game that doesnt make much sense but i cant change.
I need to create something visual that gives that idea that the beast could be ranged...

Old (#17)
Freakin sweet!
Offline , polygon, 611 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010, Location USA  

Old (#18)
forget to say that the beast and the hawk will NOT be a reskin, i will rig and animate from scratch =]

Old (#19)
Boar 4 looks the most intense. I guess I'm a sucker for the twin braided mustache. Just consider throwing some green onto it to emphasis that it has a poison attack.
Offline , spline, 180 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Jerk View Post
Boar 4 looks the most intense. I guess I'm a sucker for the twin braided mustache. Just consider throwing some green onto it to emphasis that it has a poison attack.
nice idea with the green, i can try to give a more poisonous look to the boar =]

Old (#21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvidotto View Post
forget to say that the beast and the hawk will NOT be a reskin, i will rig and animate from scratch =]
Well if anybody can pull this off, it'll be you!

I was curious though, how will you go about matching the original creatures animations?
Offline , null, 8 Posts, Join Date May 2008,  

Old (#22)
you dont need to match exactly, i will create new ones with the same "timing", i did other 3 couriers for the workshop fully animated
this one have less animation to do and will be easier =]

Old (#23)
some more ideas

Old (#24)
now something that i really like!

Old (#25)
i like the 5th helmet. and omg your silly dragon courier is awesome!
the boar is more wild than the default. GOOD WORK KEEP IT UP
Offline 15 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,