Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Riki – TBD

oDD
oDD
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oDD polycounter lvl 18
At the beginning I wanted to do a set for Phantom Assassin. I had few ideas but wasn’t sure if I could pull off something memorable.

concept_assasin.jpg

My second choice was Riki. I liked his look. When I read his lore I immediately had bunch of ideas.

visual ideas for the concept:
1)asymmetry through destruction - I like the duality of this character: he has a noble background, yet he is an assassin. Plus his family was killed when he was a child so he is broken, not complete
2)royal symbols/emblems/jewelry(?) - signs of royal heritage
3)elements of older age(?) - Maybe I will try to make him look a little older (longer beard, longer horns). My thinking is it can contribute to a more grand/epic looking set

first rough sketches
concept_riki.jpg

two of my biggest obstacles:
modeling skills
time

wish me luck :P

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Given numbering 1 to 3, 1 being left and 3 right, I like the right glove on 3, the right shoulder on 2 and the crown on 2. (all camera right)

You might run into problems with toooo much asymmetry, the poly budget and available UV space is pretty tight.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    Spudnik thanks for the comments. I know what you mean but I think making a wrist strap on one hand gives me more polygons to spend on the gauntlet on the other hand etc.

I looked again on the polygon limits and I learned two things:
    1) the restrictions are very high :)
    2) weapon triangle limit is comparable to his head limit so the blades are more important than I initially thought ( they need to be awesome! :) )

I looked through more reference images. I really like this shape of horns (I will try to use this shape in the weapon and armor design)

horns.jpg

New version of my concept, didn't want to go into too much detail (his right blade will be cut at the end, just wanted to show the main shape here)

concept_riki2.jpg
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    started working on the weapon

weapon1.jpg

shape of blade readable but handle needs more tweaks

weapon1_test.jpg
  • editpolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a person who is modding the same character I've come to realize how limited the aesthetics are when modding for Riki. We can't change anything about his clothing and everything we make will have to revolve around his distinguished attire.

That said, you found an interesting way to circumvent that. :P

Which program did you use to render out an image of Riki for your paint overs? I'm using Max and having trouble getting the materials right.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    editpolygon: I feel you about the limitations. I'm also using max, I'm not even trying to recreate the materials, for the thumbs it's only diffuse texture plus specular with no mask. For the second sketch I used the screenshot from the game:

concept_progress.jpg

I've finished working on the lowpoly of the blade plus I've made a concept of the shoulder pad. I don't want to be too specific because the shape will probably change during modeling. Most important thing is the golden head, I want it to be visible in-game.

weapon_lowpoly.jpgshoulder_pad.jpg
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    I need help! I don't know much about rigging nor animation. I'm testing the shoulder pad. The smaller part is rigged to biceps bone and it looks ok in game. The bigger part is rigged to the shoulder bone and it looks ok in max but is way too high in game. I could rig it to biceps but then it moves really stiff. How should I rig the bigger part? to few bones ? rotate the bigger part so it looks bad in Max bad ok in game?

shoulder_pad_test.jpg
  • editpolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD, your interpretation of Riki has a broken horn. Why don't you take that missing piece and fashion it into Riki's off hand dagger? :P
  • Managor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD, your interpretation of Riki has a broken horn. Why don't you take that missing piece and fashion it into Riki's off hand dagger? :P

That's a nice idea but falls apart when thinking that they can be equipped separately.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    editpolygon cool idea, Managor is right but i'm not gonna rule it out. For now I'm sticking to the minimum - two twin blades.

Did the lowpoly for shoulder pads (250 tris). For now sticking it all to biceps.

shoulder_pad_lowpoly.jpg

And created the concept for head

crown_concept.jpg
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    lowpoly of the head (it took me ages)

head_lowpoly.jpg

I read you can add your own bone to the model in the technical requirements section but is it possible to apply physics to his goatee? Please anyone answer this, I've searched but couldn't find too much info.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    hands concept (I'm trying to reinforce the asymmetry with colors)

hands_concept.jpg

thinking of naming the set "Might & Misery"
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    hands are taking me ages to finish (having trouble with rig etc) here is a WIP
    arms_1.jpg

in the meantime i did the tail (no concept this time)
    tail.jpg
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    weapon in zbrush (too much detail but wanted to train my sculpting skills)

dagger_preview.jpg

I'm starting to think i won't make it on time, good thing i will have more time in next few days.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    baked and cleaned normalmaps + lod

weapon_wotex.jpg
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    tail

zbrush
    tail_zbrush.jpg

final lowpoly with normalmap
    tail_lowpoly_tex.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Why is this thread not getting more love? This stuff is incredible!

I love the dagger, took me a sec to realise that it was a hoof :D

Good luck, hope you finish because I can't wait to see it in-game!
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    BrontoThunder: thanks for the encouragement!

I'm working on this whenever I've got time. If I want to do this on time I will have to finish all modeling before monday.

Making the crown was hard. I wanted to redesign it a little in Zbrush but making it look like it was not made from clay was very time consuming. I decided to finish it in Max.

head_highpoly.jpg

head_lod.jpg
  • selvesteHE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff man! I like how he has a self-portrait on his shoulderpad :P

Keep it up, youre doing great!
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    selvesteHE: thanks!

for the shoulder I started from reworking the lowpoly and adjusting the position of the pauldron so it would be better visible in game.

shoulder_postion.jpg

And here is the sculpt and final models.

shoulder_zbrush.jpg

shoulder_lod.jpg
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome stuff in here. Really, there should be more people watching you work dude.

One thing, are you doing your textures on the final resolution? Because your UV sets are very close to each other, be carefull because the game creates lower resolutions of your textures and some color could spill from one cluster to the other.
  • Down Limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Down Limit null
    great job. how you make normalmap? its amazing
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    Pina: thanks, I'm hoping I left enough space between the pieces :)
    Down Limit: thnaks man, My pipeline is pretty basic - lowpoly base mesh in max > sculpting in zbrush > baking normals in max with Projection modifier > cleaning the normal texture in Photoshop

I took a brake after the deadline extend announcement. I redesigned/simplified the arm piece in max. Here is where I am now.

arm_zbrush.jpg

arms_lod.jpg

all.jpg

There will be some minor tweaks to the model (I think some of the elements of the arms armor need to be a little bigger).
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    texture wip

texture_wip_1.jpg

and the turntable thingie :)

animation.gif
  • demondance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep it up, i really love your concept. One of the best concept of Riki up to now.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    demondance: thanks!

after more work on the textures and some tweaking of geometry

texture_wip_2.jpg
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
  • BrontoThunder