Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet internship - Character test

Hi!

I've decided to give a try to the ArenaNet internship test. I'm not really expecting to get picked. But well .. we never know.
I'm not even sure that i'm eligible since i'm a EU citizen. Maybe some of you know about this?
I'm coming from a 3d for animation background and I've been learning about making character for game for some time now. And this test will certainly be a good practice. Especially on the texturing part.

So here's the concept they provide. I chose to do the girl.

CharacterTest2011_2.jpg

Once i'm happy with the proportions and everything i'll move on to blocking all the cloth and armor pieces.

ScreenTurn_02.jpg

I would gladly hear all the feedbacks, critics and bashing you may have for me :)

Replies

• Aeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here's an update.
    I'm almost done with the blocking of all the cloth and armor parts. and i'm almost ready to start sculpting and detailing. This hair is half way done. It's more of a placeholder.
    It took me forever to get there. I need to be faster because i really want to have as much time as possible for the texturing part which is by far the area where i feel the less confortable..

Would love to hear your thoughts and critics!

Cheers

ScreenTurn_03.jpgFace.jpg
  • Kao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kao
    Hi Aeze,

looks like a good start to me.
    Here are some thoughts on the matter:
    The girl seems very feminin on the concept, so I think you could emphasize her hips a bit more and make them wider. With that armor on her shoulders, she doesn't have much of an hourglass shape at the moment.
    I'd also suggest to work on her neck/torso/shoulder part und her upper arms. They appear to be thinner than they should be anatomically and her neck is too long.
    And for that armor piece over her stomach: Those wings should be a bit bigger imo.

I hope, this is helpful for you. Keep going!
  • Aeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks! I'll try to make her more fleshy and appealing.
    Maybe i'll try to scale the head up a bit. Now she's 8 1/2 heads tall alsmot 9. I'll try to bring her closer to 8.
  • Aeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. I changed the proportions.

ScreenTurn_07.jpg
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    The arms are looking a bit skinny, and the face needs a bit of softening up. Soften and fill out those lips, cheeckbones, jaw, forehead, etc. Keep at it. :)
  • Aeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for your comment.

About the head it definitely need some work and polishing. But i'm not there yet!