Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Templar Assasin - TBD (community named)

Hey Guys,

My partner and I decided to do another TA Set for this contest (did one before that received great feedback!)

We chose TA simply because we love the hero and design / limiations of her, after working on the first set I have the experience I need in terms of rigging and what will work and what won't. My partner is the concept artist and comes up with the overall design, he then hands it over for me to make.

Set Name

Shadow of the Thief-Scholar

Concept Art

3Ia0g.jpg

Full texture / model

hSzPo.jpg

Progress Update

19/11

Rigging / QC

30/10

Sculpting

27/10

Hair Base mesh

13/10
Currently doing the base modelling when I have the free hours, will update when its all done.

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Looking badass! I like the asymetry in the shoulder/neck guard!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I really like it. Darnit, this design and your last design continues to put my TA set to shame. I really hope you follow this through to completion, Lanaya needs some love!
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just cleaning up the thread~
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The only issue I can see right now is that the bones for her flexible sleeve only exist on one side, your concept has it on both sides. Not sure how you're going to get aroun that :(

Other than that, I really love it. Good luck!
  • luckycat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    name suggestions:

1. Mind's Eye Regalia
    2. Threads of the Psy Blade
    3. Templar's Exalted Battlegear
    4. Threads of Fate

just off the top of my head. can use any you like, if not it's cool too ;D

gl, I like the overall feel that the armor set gives to her.
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    The only issue I can see right now is that the bones for her flexible sleeve only exist on one side, your concept has it on both sides. Not sure how you're going to get aroun that :(

Other than that, I really love it. Good luck!

The sleeves are much smaller compared to the original (don't hang so far down), rigged to the top arm with a bit of the edge / bottom on the wrist should do the trick or (even 1 on original, one like that, creates variance).

She's a very "floaty" hero so getting motion that doesn't looks static shouldn't be a problem! And thanks!
  • qassamzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qassamzed polycounter lvl 6
    plant you miss "s" on Templar assa"S"sin at thread title ;)
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the first post, apparantely I can't edit the thread title (I've edited it within the post but it doesn't seem to update the main name of the thread).

The first items base mesh is complete and ready for zbrush, its under poly limit so don't see any glaring issues.

We've made a design decision and split the two sleeves up into seperate items (think 2 weapons or something).

With her default girdle and our shoulders you get 1 sleeve on her arm, and her default sleeve on the other.

With her shoulders and our Girdle you get 1 sleeve where her default sleeve was.

With both our items you get both our sleeves.

The decision for this was made due to poly limitations and the shoulder slot having a really high polycount (1350).

We will do tests to see how it blends with her default sleeve, but I do feel it adds a little bit of dynamic, as well as mix and matching with her default (we always take default items in mind). If the default sleeve and our sleeve doesn't match, we will most likely be switching to a single sleeve, and something else in the other sleeves place.

88q8m.jpg
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys more updates and some good news, Hobbit finally finishing up so getting some free hours to actually get this done (as oppose to getting 2 hours in a week :(

Finished base mesh for shoulder slot, only hair to go before heading into Zbrush and bringing the concept to life.

XRBwp.jpg

MT25O.jpg
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hair mesh complete, finally onto sculpting!

HQ4vq.jpg
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big update for you guys, all sculpting work is done and texturing has already started, finally free to get it done, below are the sculpts, and below that are renders of the finished girdle + shoulder / head with AO / normals on.

We made a few changes, we added a scroll to the other sleeve, breaking some of the symmetry and it also assists in helping tell the story of the animation, that sleeve being more rigid because its tied down (no cloth bones like other side).

More changes include just a bit of jewelery to the head, we had the space and wanted to add a bit more.

vo0fno.jpg

34pb242.jpg
  • Born Backwards
    I'm not the biggest fan of the heavy collar, but that hair really works for her.
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another big update, all texturing is done, just rigging left.

Here's full frames of the set.

hSzPo.jpg

Quality Control

I have done some QC with the original items as well as our other Lanaya set (Had very good ratings / popularity, so might get put in), to make sure no clipping occurs.

Although there are items in the game that already clip a little, we feel its a mistake that should try and be avoided at all costs.

Not everyone will have a full set, some will mix and match the way they like their hero, we want our items to provide people with that option, without creating a messy look!

xCZOr.jpg

Notes to discuss with partner

* slight change of sleeve shape to avoid clipping of current and future items.

* check saturation levels of pinks.

* any final tweaks

• Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FFSjJ.jpg

Set can be found below.
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=109173432

Video of it all in action.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7WeTD-BRs"]Shadow of the Thief-Scholar - YouTube[/ame]
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Hello, awesome set, How did you make to preview your entire set inside dota?

I have been trying with dota2slasher as I read, but I only can make the default mesh dissapear but it dont show mine!

Thank you!!
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    pretty sure i saw this in the store and got to say my first thoughts on seeing it which were dayyyummm wish i had thought of that :P doesnt mean much coming from a newbie like me but just wanted to say awesome job on the set

p.s lol just scrolled up to look again and saw the link in your thread, it was you! :D
  • Impossible Odds
    I made a polycount account just to respond to this. I love this so much.

My only complaint is slight; the footage doesn't give enough shots of her running, but from what I can tell, the hair doesn't really have much life to it. Her normal hair bounces and weaves, but this hair doesn't move much. Combined with how it looks slightly "off" (it's very thin) and it ends up looking a bit like a curved spike on her head.

Saying all that, I am absolutely bursting with excitement. I cannot wait to see these items in-game.
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations on completing the set and getting an honorable mention in the contest! I really dig your set and I enjoyed seeing the progress for it. I also noticed the earlier set you two have made while researching existing sets and I like to comment that you and your partner have some really awesome and inspiring designs.

Keep up the great job you guys!