Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Phantom Assassin – Midnight Warden

PA_banner.jpg

Hello, this is my Phantom assassin contest entry, the pack is called "Midnight Warden".

Let's have some content in this thread.

The main idea was to continue the armor she uses on her legs and wrists, and apply a similar style to the helm and shoulders. I was mainly focusing on the general shapes in this early sketch, not the small details or texture, so those aspects are either entirely missing or just very rough!
Screenshot-2012-10-09_13.00.15.png
If you want to compare it to the default model, click this link:

As you can see, I have 4 items planned so far; Helm, Shoulders, Belt items and a Cape. I might do a weapon for her if I get any good ideas, though right now that is at the bottom of my priority list. (There is already a huge amount of PA weapons in the steam workshop)

I began work on the helm, and just quickly blocked it out to get a feel of it.
helm1.jpg
*NOTICE: the hair/ponytail bit is temporarily stolen from the default helm, I will remake it for myself asap.

Please let me know what you think.

Replies

• Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The face in the original picture is frighting; good call on covering it up!

Do you plan to utilize the texture design from the bracers and boots on the shoulders (for cohesion)?
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I honestly haven't thought much about the texture. When I get there I'm sure I'll try a couple of different designs and see what works best.

My workflow tends to involve a whole lot of trial and error :)
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress, I made a ponytail part of my own and made some really small adjustments to the helmet.
    Screenshot-2012-10-11_08.01.20.png

I'm not sure how much detail I should add to it though, since dota2 items are really tiny, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't spend too much time on small details that can't be seen?
  • dfanton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the helm. It's one of the few items that will be seen up close (in the portrait), which is what the high poly version of the model is for. So the detail should be well done. Beyond that, people can zoom in to look at their new items, and it helps in advertising the item (in case you don't win) if the close-up shot is nice.
  • gonzaloantonicelli
    i have a question, don't tou have to make an animation for the pony tail? just wondering.
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since the original helmet also has a ponytail, I can just use those bones. So that shouldn't be a problem.
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been quite busy, but I found time to retopologize and render out the normals today.
    I tried to put on some basic texture (flat colors + AO), in the same style as the default helm. just to get a better feel of it.

Screenshot-2012-10-14_17.22.43.png

I'm not too happy with the top part of the helm, the dark blue bits. I can't put my finger on why it looks off, but I just think it does?
    I would really like to hear what others think I should do with this base coloring, to make it more appealing.
    Should I try a new color scheme and not imitate the default helm perhaps?
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot-2012-10-15_13.40.57.png

I think I'm going to leave the helm like this for now, and get going on creating my shoulder pads.
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done rough blocking out of all the remaining parts.

Screenshot-2012-10-25_19.51.26.png

Does anyone have suggestions for feedback, or should I just continue doing my thing?
    I experimented with some ornaments/spikes/curves on the shoulder pads, but nothing really stood out to me, maybe someone a little more artistic could help me out with some ideas?
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to cut the cape into 2 parts. One that attaches to the shoulders as usual, but it's quite short, Accompanied by a second part that attaches to the hip/belt.

Did 3 quick paintovers in photoshop for texture ideas and I'm not sure which one I should go for, anyone want to help out?

Here's my reasoning for the three:
    1. Continues the default pattern from the boots/wrists.
    2. Mimics my initial sketch idea, very clean.
    3. A strong but simple pattern, and a slightly darker tone.
    PA_padsNcape_patterns.png
  • DesireeFernandes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesireeFernandes polycounter lvl 7
    The silhouette of these items looks great, but the color pallete you used is a bit off. You want to try and match the color pallete of the base colors as much as possible, so maybe making the blues you have more green would help that. Also, be careful with the cape; I can't tell if it has geometry or if it's a plane, but if it's a plane you won't have a double-sided cape. If you're using a plane, either add a second opposite-facing plane right next to it or just add geometry to the plane.

Good work so far, and good luck! I'm most partial to option one in your most recent picture.
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm making a weapon, and the rules say I need to post progress, so here goes.

Screenshot-2012-11-08_10.47.04.png
    This is 746 tris, the limit is 700 (lod0) and 600 (lod1), so I still have to find ways to cut down some detail.

the idea is to continue the feel of "layers" that I have going in both the helm and shoulders. Not sure if I succeeded with that, but I ended up with something I liked, so I decided to keep it.

As for all the other items, I have finished UV mapping all of them, they're ready to be textured whenever I have time for that. I want to do all textures at once.
  • Ravidge
  • Ravidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I think I'm finished with the set. I just need to make the presentation bit now.
    But as far as modeling/texturing/rigging and whatnot, I'm done.

Helm
    Screenshot-2012-12-02_19.27.22.png

Shoulders
    Screenshot-2012-12-02_20.50.51.png

Cape
    Screenshot-2012-12-02_21.14.57.png

Belt (difficult to take a picture of it..)
    Screenshot-2012-12-02_21.20.48.png

Weapon
    Screenshot-2012-12-02_19.34.26.png