Offline / Send Message
Erafic polycounter lvl 10
Latest update:

Redoing the blade design
RikiNewDagger.png

Redid the head textures
CrownPreview_v2_1.png

Heya Polycount! Starting up my Wip thread of a Riki set, Remains of a Dynasty

Still working on the concept and should have it up soonish, the main Idea is a set consisting of heirlooms from the royal Tahlin dynasty, thus playing a bit on his lore. Riki having salvaged what he could reclaim of his fallen family history and lost princehood.

Replies

• Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so here comes the concept!

RikiConcepts.png

I'm still trying to settle for what to go with for the head, and if I maybe should vary the main and off-hand weapons. Head wise I'm leaning a bit for either 2 or 5, hard with Riki is that his horns counts as the head, so there's no reusing the old ones. Which heads do you like more?
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should add the beard from 5 to number 2.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    just take care that you cant change the head, just add thing to it
    if you are adding a horn for example, you will need to work on that to not appear something extra =]
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    just take care that you cant change the head, just add thing to it
    if you are adding a horn for example, you will need to work on that to not appear something extra =]

Ah, but that's just the thing, Riki is "bald" when all his slots are empty. He's got a head budget of 350 triangles, but his original horns are actually separate and have a budget as high as 360. (Valve gets to cheat with other words :poly131: ). So no worries there!

RikiMugshot.png
    Mugshot of bald Riki

And here's some progress on the blockout, plus I've gone ahead a bit with the dagger. I noticed that the color scheme with bright gold really didn't blend that well with the darkblue nuance of Riki. So I'm experimenting a little with a more darkish red-blue gold (cant really place the color). Think it looks and fit better with Riki? Because that color would be going with the rest of the gold plating on all his items.
    RikiBlockout01.png
    MetalColorRiki.png
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RikiCrown.png

Update: Decided to go with head nr 2 but without the pointy bits. Hard to imagine Riki without some horns, and still squeeze in headgear on the same budget. But here's how it looks both in Maya and when uploaded into the engine. I'll work on finishing the head and knife now before moving onto the cloak and gloves.

Any feedback appreciated :D
  • Motanum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Simple and elegant! How did you do those texturing? Any tutorials yo ucan refer me to?
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a great item set! As a pretty amateur texture artist I really dig the highlights/texture of the metal pieces.
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motanum wrote: »
    Nice! Simple and elegant! How did you do those texturing? Any tutorials yo ucan refer me to?

Texturing that is just like normal painting, without any textures as overlays. I'd recommend looking for tutorials on stylistic and handpainted textures as well as paintings in general. There are a few on the polycount wiki:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials#Painting_Stylistic_Textures
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RikiSword.png
    Update on the sword, diffuse, normal and mask maps done. What do you think about this version?
    RikiSword2.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Great texture work. I'm inclined to say though that I think you should dirty it up a bit. There's two big cuts in the blade, so it's a bit damaged - the texture should reflect that. Either that or remove the grooves. That seems to me to be the only thing that looks slightly off about this otherwise great weapon. Keep it up!
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice, love the sheen on the daggers. Would it be asking too much to see what your mask 1 and mask 2 textures look like for the daggers? I'd really like to see how you got that to look so nice.

Or is that sheen mostly done in the color map?
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Great texture work. I'm inclined to say though that I think you should dirty it up a bit. There's two big cuts in the blade, so it's a bit damaged - the texture should reflect that. Either that or remove the grooves. That seems to me to be the only thing that looks slightly off about this otherwise great weapon. Keep it up!

I'm inclined to agree :) Will have a look at banging it up a lil bit more in the texture. Thanks for the feedback!
    Very nice, love the sheen on the daggers. Would it be asking too much to see what your mask 1 and mask 2 textures look like for the daggers? I'd really like to see how you got that to look so nice.

Or is that sheen mostly done in the color map?

The masks don't differ much from how they were set up for the original weapon, new UV's and layout of course. But I think the sheen you're thinking of is what I did in my color map. You can have a look at it here below. The masks only really control specularity strength and such, not the actual specular color.

RoyalWeapon_01_Diffuse_Preview.png
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Ok, thanks for the help. Although it is possible to change the specular color using the blue channel on mask 2 if you were wondering.
  • Qwiggalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, thanks for the help. Although it is possible to change the specular color using the blue channel on mask 2 if you were wondering.

You don't get to choose the color though.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    awesome progress. I think the handle of the blde could use a little more love just on a stand-alone note - but you're not going to see much of it in game so i suppose it's not a huge deal.

Need to get out of work so I can get some decent progress on my own Riki - you're making me look like a slacker, sir!
  • jasonroels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you setup your scene to show the model? I want to enter the contest but I've never made any steamwork items.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qwiggalo wrote: »
    You don't get to choose the color though.

It just takes the diffuse as the spec then, right?
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    It just takes the diffuse as the spec then, right?

Maybe, I noticed the spec had a blue hint in itself, might be a color defined in the VMT, wish I could control it when submitting in that case :/
    jasonroels wrote: »
    How did you setup your scene to show the model? I want to enter the contest but I've never made any steamwork items.

You just boot up Dota 2 and go to customization > Workshop > Submit new item and upload the necessary files and maps. Then before you press the final submit button you get that preview screen where you can see your item and hero rendered, both up close like that and in rts view. You can also preview all animations to make sure you don't get funny results.
    reverendK wrote: »
    awesome progress. I think the handle of the blde could use a little more love just on a stand-alone note - but you're not going to see much of it in game so i suppose it's not a huge deal.

Need to get out of work so I can get some decent progress on my own Riki - you're making me look like a slacker, sir!

Aye, might give the handle a bit more love when I do a final touch up on the items, but it's been good practice to know how to optimize unseen areas so far :)

Also I have an unfair advantage, an ungodly amount of free time right now.
    But I'm looking forward to see how your Riki set goes good sir! :D
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tahlin%20Crown%20Preview.png
    And finished tweaking the crown and horns, time to move on to the cloak or gloves :D
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I like the crown - though i feel it could use a little more edge detail and braking up of the larger shapes of color. It could also probably use some geometry (if you've got any to spare) to keep it from cutting through the ears.

I'm not really feeling your horn texture, though. I'm not entirely sure what material you're going for - it seems like maybe some sort of rock, which is a little odd for the character I think. Whatever the case it doesn't really look finished.
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK: Hmm, good points
    Right now I don't have any triangles to spare, but I'll try to tweak it so it doesn't look like it's cutting through the ear in the same way, i'ts not that visible at least and from the distance one will see it'll be harder to see it cutting. Ingame shot:
    CrownPreview_2.png

I'll definitively have a look at breaking up the big chunk of darkened gold and redo the horns texture (were thinking crackelated horns but I didnt hit home then xD). What did you mean by adding more edge detail though? Risk is the low resolution would blur if that's what you mean.
  • BliTxXeN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool looking! Keep the up hard work!
  • shirogatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shirogatsu polycounter lvl 5
    Good job with the sword, keep it going!
    I'm watching you!
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update on the crown and horn piece, had a few busy days but time to get this rolling again!

Do tell me what you think of this, revised the horn texture and added some new details to the crown.
    Riki_NewHornAndCrown.png

Ingame:
    CrownPreview_v2_1.png
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, didnt feel quite as satisfied with the original blade as I did earlier, so I went back and toyed a bit with the shape. I came to wonder how it would have looked if I just removed the middle of it, there was a big groove there that was just making it look heavy. Now this ended in a hollow centered dagger design, a bit similar to his original daggers but still a closed off circle.
    RikiNewDagger2.png

Besides going with a more a color of the metal that better fits Riki's color scheme I'm thinking of adding some golden text or symbols on it. Golden colors seem to work better when kept minimal in his scheme.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see what you were trying to do, but unfortunately this does not look deadly at all. I'm more getting a sex toy vibe from it O.o
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Doh.. I see what you mean :S

After two tries think I might just put the blade on the shelf for now, work some on the remaining items instead for now. This is not so much giving up on it as it's realizing i need more time to make a better weapons concept :/