Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bat-Joker

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
Hey, newbie here.
So here's my first proper attempt to sculpt a full body character in mudbox.
I'm pretty new at sculpting, so any tips and advice would really be appreciated.

assnf.jpg

Legs aren't done yet. Constructive criticism are welcomed.

Replies

• AsherOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't much Joker in there right now, but I think that will come more with colors. As for sculpting, I'm no pro, but I think the hair could use some more strokes to blend the hair that you have coming out, because I wasn't sure what it was for a minute. Great work!
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Thanks, AsherOS. Sorry for the late reply, btw.
    Yes, it'll look more like joker with color on it, but i'm focusing more on the sculpting first. And i'll try to working out his hair.

Anyway, latest WIP. Boot is really suck. I have no idea what i'm doing....

_wip_1__bat_joker_by_yuliuskrisna-d5pd4pf.png
  • Doctore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im a complete newb here so just from a viewers perspective, The boots could probably come out a bit more to give the image of proper separation from the pants though with color this could easily be made to stand out. The outfit is nicely thought out though I would add an exaggerated collar to him to give him a bit more of that joker feel as well as covering up the negative space provided by his long neck.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doctore wrote: »
    I would add an exaggerated collar to him to give him a bit more of that joker feel as well as covering up the negative space provided by his long neck.

Actually i've already thought about that, but never done it.
    Thanks for the advice.:)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He looks rather dour. Is the idea that this is the Joker who's gotten hold of Batman's cowl or has he made this gear himself? If the latter is the case, you could do some adjustment to the face mask so it looks a bit less frowny - pushing the eyebrows up. His mouth and eyes are also kind of grumpy looking, even in their neutral position here. Appropriate for Batman, not so much for Joker. Tweaking his face to look like someone who spends a lot of time grinning - More developed cheeks and nasolabial lines and more of a crescent shape to the eyes with perhaps some crows-feet would help.

I'd probably give him a poinier chin and nose as that's part of the traditional look of Joker. Even if you're going for a more realistic, Dark Knight typed treatment, you could push it in that direction a little bit.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Ive learned that having a concept or a solid idea on paper will help you loads when working on characters
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jackablade
    I think the idea is Joker gotten hold of batman stuff, and then he modified it on his own style. Thanks for the tips, let's see what i can do about that later.

@Amile
    Thanks. Umm, i like it tight...

@butt_sahib
    Well i've already drawn out the concept on a paper (it suck).
    I didn't draw the detail, just some major part of his body, how he's gonna look etc, because i can think about the detail later. But that's a mistake from me. I'm not good at detailing stuff.

Here's latest WIP with simple coloring work

_wip_2__bat_joker_by_yuliuskrisna-d5pgkl7.png

Close-up on his head sculpt.

_wip_2__close_up_bat_joker_face_untextured_by_yuliuskrisna-d5pgl3a.png

And textured

_wip_2__close_up_bat_joker_face_textured_by_yuliuskrisna-d5pgla0.png
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, lowpoly is now done (well, not all of them, btw)

Flat lighting + Wireframe

_wip_3__low_poly_bat_joker_by_yuliuskrisna-d5pw30y.png

Tris count is at 10k
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

_wip_4__low_poly_bat_joker_by_yuliuskrisna-d5q51kb.png
    _wip_4__low_poly_bat_joker_texture_by_yuliuskrisna-d5q51pf.jpg

Any crits or tips?
  • JimmyRustler