Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Winery Environment [UDK]

Latest Update:
F7rtx.jpg

Hey All,

I've started work on a new environment - a Winery. Wanting to have a cleanish but traditional/handmade look to it. Really undecided on the saturation and colours of the various woods. This is my progress so far.

2v0iakw.jpg

Crits gratefully received.

Replies

• luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i'd definitely do more with the wood rafters. at least the way it looks to me, you can't see a lot of detail in the color. theres also the fact that with how saturated it looked right now, it looks pretty bland, theres not enough color. try brightening up the tiles and the wall color and that should make a substantial difference.
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers luge, have brightened up the light a bit and saturated the rafter materials a tiny bit. Also added a few different colours to the floor tiles, very subtle change.
    Also thought I'd remove half the cylindrical rafters, as I think it shows a bit more detail. Thoughts on this?

2yyv0vt.jpg
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    The barrels, room and doorway sizes all seem a bit funky. I'd recommend blocking out the scene more, putting simple boxes and cylinders where you want to eventually put props. Not only will it help you get the proportions right before the scene is too detailed, it also a good way to plan your scene out ahead of time.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    The tiling of the floor is way too large in my opinion.. It throws the proportions way off. The lighting is so flat.. There's no source and there needs to be to add atmosphere and depth to your scene.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    I think its a good start I like the colors you've chosen, only early days but have you thought about light sources? It would be nice to see some variation in the lighting (some dark/light areas). Maybe fill the room layout with proxy meshes so you can plan this better?
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Excellent start.

I'd say it's too early to really crit, aside from the textures, so I'll talk about those...

There's obviously much left to be done, such as the door frame, more objects to fill the space, etc. The wood is simply way too flat. Are you using a normal & spec map? If so, the details are way too fine, and not coming through well enough to be read. I think the floor tiles are good, though - aside from their large size. I'd scale down the size a tad. I'd say your biggest objectives right now are to...

1) Have more stuff (Obviously), and

2) Get your wood texture to read better.

Overall, great start.
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get good sizes. try using a UDK player mesh and stand it next to your props and doors etc. Obviously if you are using UDK.

You could even import into your 3d program and get the sizes right there i suppose. :)
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    You may want to take a step back and think about a more interesting layout for this environment. Right now you have a box, with some stuff in it. You can make some awesome props to populate the space, but at the end of the day, it will still be a box.

Think about what will make for an interesting space. What is the climate like in this area? What floor is this are in? The answers to these questions will have and effect on how you go about making the environment, what details you should add, etc.

Here are a few interesting winery images I found that may be of some inspiration. Notice the interesting vaulted or curved ceilings, pillars, and light sources. The first 1 is a bit more modern, which I don't think you're going for, but still an interesting space.

The last image is a good example of how a box space can be filled well, but notice just how much stuff would need to be created to make it look "lived in" and that it is a much smaller space than what you've got so far.

I really think you should take a step back and re-evaluate your space as a whole, gather up a big ol' reference sheet and identify key features of the winery you want to make.

Hope that helps. Keep at it!

2364275215_0febc48aa5.jpg
    Winery-cellar.jpg
    winery-barrels-napa.jpg
    Cellar.jpg
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

Scale: The barrels were simply too large, I scaled them up on import. The doorway was technically the size of an interior doorway, but it was a bit small for my needs so have largened that as well. Now edited back to normal, the scale is actually correct, and have a character sitting in my scene in max. The tiles have been scaled down too.

PixelatedKiwi: Yeah, I was thinking that light sources are going to come soon, would be good to be able to make the environment in the way it will be lit.

tristamus: Thanks for the crit, I agree there isn't much to crit yet really - more meshes to be coming soon!!! When you say my wood texture isn't reading, do you mean for one of the ceiling parts or the wall wood? The wood gooing round the ceiling at the top is currently placeholder.

darbeeno: Hey, thanks for taking the time to find that ref, and I do agree that a box isn't very interesting, and will be changing up the shape. However, I believe you have somewhat misunderstood the project, this isn't supposed to be a wine cellar but a wine shop, something I have ref for already, here are a few of them:

winery.jpg

1000x563-korbel-vineyards-the-wine-shop.jpg

terroirs-interior-30-big.jpg

Very small update here, as I'm posting anyway - have been playing around with the wood and lights to get the right effect, and have moved in a doorway mesh which is ready for sculpting. Not even unwrapped but with a wood mat thrown on.

2nk6syg.jpg
  • Shmaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The textures look good so far, but I really want to see the layout of this place. I think you should block in the rest of the space before you do anything else. Get those shelving units, tables, bottles, boxes, everything imported and placed around so that you know how many assets you're really going to need and how they work together. They can even just be lots of boxy shapes with a gray material on them. Then you'll be able to get some preliminary lighting tests to see where light sources can go and how the shadows lay.

Keep it up! This can look pretty cool in the end, make sure it does. :thumbup:
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Coming along well! As a small suggestion, you could try a different look to the room in the hallway. A little change to that area could add a bunch of spice since it appears as a focal point.
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys - really useful info!

Shmaba: Blocking out is indeed the next step, and my next screenie shows it!

Polygoblin: Cheers! Yeah would be nice to give the hallway some more interest, I'll put my mind to it.

So I've blocked out some of the layout - the units in the centre will have indents where wine will be displayed at the angle on both sides. The back shelves will also be holding wine bottles. These aren't even unwrapped and have thrown a wood texture on them for colour. Planning on having a counter in the right area of the room, and perhaps a hanging tapestry/rug hanging from the left wall with barrels in front.

here is the progress! crits as usual are appreciated. :)

14e78lf.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Going good.
    IMO the walls and floor seem a bit flat. Try darkening the wood on the wall texture.
    Also I'd make the ceiling shorter, to make it more claustrophobic.
    Keep it up!
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers danpaz3d, I think I'll leave wall and floor tweaks till lighting sources are in.

I've made a bit more process, have tried to include cubemap reflections on these wine bottles along with the metal on the barrels. Not perfect, but starting to get there. Diffuse is preliminary, trying to get the right effect at the moment. Many more in many different colours are to come.

2jcemmb.jpg

Next steps include making a counter mesh along with light sources + proper texturing/hi poly for the shelving units.
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things are starting to come together now the shelving units have been textured and we've got some more wine bottles goin. Lookin forward to making a counter + some light sources next!

28rd45l.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Maybe try to work in some wooden support "Pillars" in the scene. A proper lighting setup will help this scene as well, make it look more interesting rather than the flat , boxy look you've got right now.

Right now the only small props you have are the wine bottles. Make sure you create some other small props to place around the scene, since it seems you're fine on medium-sized ones and bigger like the shelves.

Even though we have a lot of perfectly straight lines IRL, you might want to tweak them and nudge the vertices a little bit to make sure you get some more detail and more interesting shapes. Don't go overboard though! ^^

Nice work so far, looking forward to seeing more!
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Chris, will certainly be looking to make a lot of smaller props to properly detail the scene, however I think my next port of call has to be the counter, so that all the large, structural work is done. After that I'll look into working in some pillars (somewhere?!) and then on lighting and smaller props. Will keep y'all updated!!
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Y'all, 'nother update here.

Got a counter and some windows in now. Will certainly be adding some sort of tapestry/curtain in front of the windows with SSS to let light shine through, hopefully using the cloth modifier. I'm thinking of having a wooden beam run from the surface of the counter (near the end) up to the ceiling with thing hung on it on nails.

On top of that, still need light sources. Have tried a couple but looking rubbish atm, so gonna keep trying in that area.

24df2h4.jpg
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a beam and some tapestry style curtains. Been trying to play with SSS (transmission mask only) + opacity mask to get a good effect, anyone got hints?

Td6Wk.jpg
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    You could use a cubemap (in emissive with fresnel) to add some fake reflections on your bottles. Some visible light sources would also be a nice addition.
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like where this is going. Here are some possibilities to consider: Currently, it looks like everything is very new and uniform; it might be worth slightly offsetting the barrels & bottles so they're not perfectly spaced on either axis. The tiles could use some variation also, vertex blending could go a long way on these. The other thing i noticed was a lack of shadows in the scene; this will really help break up the uniformity of the scene and help to ground some of the elements better.

Hope some of these comments are useful, keep up the good work!
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedfback guys!

ikblue: There is currently a cubemap, but not applied like you mention, so will attempt to get a better glass effect with the fresnel. Light sources are on their way, but I am hating the thought of going there atm, so keep putting it off :P

mbischof: Yeah, the whole scene is going to get a going over with decorations when all the small assets are finished - gonna hopefully make quite a lot of small decorative assets. As for vertex painting, I'm saving that till last, but its going to get a similar treatment to this previous material I made, with the addition of some wine stains.

2n74h2p.jpg
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

It's been a while since I worked on this, but I have made a bit of progress in the last couple of days.

Here is an update:
    ZQSDR.jpg

Here is the HP of the till:
    2iKXC.jpg

Crits appreciated as usual! Still need to do lots more smaller props, and light sources.
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Here's another update, have been working on the lighting on the scene, I still have more props to do to flesh out the scene, but I'm pretty pleased with how its looking!! Crits appreciated.

F7rtx.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Lacks shadows. Other than that it looks pretty good.
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, any idea why? I'm stumped and can't get them to appear as they should.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    No idea mate, I don't use UDK. :D
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Check your lightmap resolution on the objects and floors, and make sure that they've got non-overlapped channel 2 mapping as well (UV1 in UDK)