Home General Discussion

Software on Steam!

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
http://store.steampowered.com/software

Steam Just opened up their software section and are selling programs such as 3D Coat right through Steam!

Replies

• spitty
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    yeah and 3d coat is only $89! is this an educational, or limited version? it doesn't really have much detail about the different versions. there is also a "professional" version for $315
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wonder if I have a active copy if I can register it on steam...
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    spitty wrote: »
    yeah and 3d coat is only $89! is this an educational, or limited version? it doesn't really have much detail about the different versions. there is also a "professional" version for $315

The professional one is the only one you can use commercially.

"By purchasing this license you receive the rights to use 3D-Coat commercially."
  • bounchfx
    My question is does the 99$ one let you load tf2 models? does building and exporting stuff to tf2 count as 'commercially'? Since technically you can make money from it.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cool. Lets hope we see some awesome steam sales like the games. But I doubt the discounts will be as good.
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I wonder how this will work with floating licenses? Can I just install my software on as many computers as possible?
  • Clean3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clean3d polycounter lvl 8
    I wonder if this means they're going to change how they handle DRM for some programs. I'd hate to have a deadline and meet one of these when trying to launch software.

"This program is unavailable at this time"
    "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request"

(p.s. Hi Polycount!)
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Zepic wrote: »
    I wonder how this will work with floating licenses? Can I just install my software on as many computers as possible?

As far as steam goes yeah, but there might be a limit if theres additional DRM to go with it, they have that issue with GFWL
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It would be great if they got UDK implemented and working through steam! I wanna see how many hours I clock in haha.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    aajohnny wrote: »
    It would be great if they got UDK implemented and working through steam! I wanna see how many hours I clock in haha.

already does that. UDK should show up in your tools - all you have to do is install it into steam and viola! the only way i know to see your hours is to add it to your favorites and then go to the fav list in the library. I've got 23 since i moved it to steam. not impressive. :(
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    What I am excited about is the fact that programs will update themselves, (hopefully) so now you most likely wouldn't have to go the site and download whatever patch etc etc. Just speculating.. I haven't read anything about updates or anything like that.
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
  • GeeDave
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Carlosan wrote: »
    About 3DCoat

There is info about licenses here
    http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10400

There's a comment in that thread that links back to this thread!?

I didn't find much of that particularly helpful... I feel like I need to read it all twice to "get it". Maybe I'm being stupid but I see the OP basically asking "I own an educational license, how do I upgrade to pro through steam without paying the full pro amount? (ie, paying the upgrade cost instead)" and the answers being like "version 4 is coming soon and the cost to upgrade to it will be "X" amount".

Am I being a retard? Did OP's question actually get answered?

Edit
    Not OP, but you know what I mean.
  • agentfx
    Its pretty simple, Steam is now a reseller of 3D Coat and is selling the non-commercial/Educational version. Its the one that's already for sale on 3DC website for $99, so its a bit of a deal on steam if you want that version.

Limitation of Education version:
    1) no commercial usage
    2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048
    3) limited to 7 layers

Upgrading to v4 is free if you buy 3D Coat in or after October.
  • GeeDave
    Offline / Send Message
    agentfx wrote: »
    Its pretty simple, Steam is now a reseller of 3D Coat and is selling the non-commercial/Educational version. Its the one that's already for sale on 3DC website for $99, so its a bit of a deal on steam if you want that version.

Upgrading to v4 is free if you buy 3D Coat in or after October.
    This is what I got from that other thread, and it isn't answering the question is it? It's not about upgrading from V3 to V4 in the slightest, it's about upgrading the educational license to a pro license.

Steam sells both the educational and the commercial version, by the by:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/100980/

The question I haven't seen an answer to, or have missed... is:

If you already own the educational version, and want the commercial version (through steam)... how do you go about that?

On the 3d coat website, the cost from educational to commercial is 250$, which basically means you aren't paying what you've already paid for the educational license - again.

Or, to put it another way... let's say you buy the educational version on steam now, and then decide to upgrade to the commercial license. Where is the option to say "I own the educational one, don't charge me the full amount for the pro version"?

Perhaps that's something that's done via the 3d coat website after the purchase is made, but it's still something I'd like to know about before hand. Y'know?
  • elec²ron
    Offline / Send Message
    elec²ron polycounter lvl 12
    any achievements for 3d coat?
  • GeeDave
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought the educational version just to see if any more information would become available, there was something about having to enter in to a subscribers agreement... hoping that doesn't just swipe my cash when newer releases are put up, I guess it won't though... surely?

When trying to buy the commercial version though, it still remains at full price when I would expect it to be reduced. Just for the record, I don't wish to purchase the commercial version yet, but I will likely want to in the future if I decide to take this to work with me. I'm just poking around at the moment.

Obviously I don't want to end up paying the full whack in the future and having both an educational AND a commercial license, that would be uber stupid.

Also, halp:

2012-10-03_2159.png
  • illo
    64 bit if you have more than 4 gb of RAM, cuda if you have an NVIDIA card capable of doing CUDA stuff, i think its like 400 series or higher.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    elec²ron wrote: »
    any achievements for 3d coat?
    Didn't crash 3DC at 2 hours in (1/1)

Crashed 3DC (the first of many) (1/100)
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    installed the demo on steam and then tried the educational demo from the website, only difference was the TF2 exporter I could see. Its a good deal on steam! but it would be nice to not have to launch steam every time to use it.

decisions?
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    reverendK wrote: »
    already does that. UDK should show up in your tools - all you have to do is install it into steam and viola! the only way i know to see your hours is to add it to your favorites and then go to the fav list in the library. I've got 23 since i moved it to steam. not impressive. :(

Last time I installed UDK through steam all it did was install a text file reading this:
    To really download and learn more about the UDK, go here: http://www.udk.com/

Did they actually sort that out now?
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I haven't been able to get it to work properly on my new build yet. I recently stuck it on to my library through the "add game" dialogue, but It doesn't want to run the editor - just the game. I tried adding the editor tag to the shortcut properties but it broke it. It may be that it'll still record my time if I launch it from a non-steam shortcut - i haven't tested that yet. otherwise i'm going to try to install it directly into my steam directory - mostly just for testing purposes. Ive got UDK installed on a SSD and steam on the larger HDD, so i'd rather keep it where it is...