Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Felicia

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
So I've been trying to play around with zbrush's Fiber mesh feature with my current Corpse and Mayhem project, but I feel limited to only the hair on the head. Looking for a good excuse to dive in and learn this feature I was struck with the right character in mind.

FELICIA!!!!
felicia_by_pokkuti-d29isxn.jpg
Art by Pokkuti on deviantart

Good excuse for me to learn something new.
I'm going to take on this feline vixen with the proportions that capcom gave this iconic character, but I want to nudge it over towards the side of realism. I think its called Hyperrealism....I'm probably wrong, but anyways, besides learning Fiber Mesh. I want to experiment and see if there is a possibility that Fiber Mesh can somehow be taken over to game resolution.

This may probably yield nothing, but its fun to experiment:)

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Challenge accepted! :p

Seems like a good project can't wait to see how this goes and the final result.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome man- you're an animal!

regarding using fibermesh for low poly hair; It is definitely possible however in my tweaking I couldn't find a method that proved worth it- so far what I found was that by keeping the coverage modifier high while keeping the max fibers slider low will yield a low poly result- if you adjust the segments slider it will give your strands smoother contour. But, from what I found, it was a bit difficult to control compared to other methods.
    Good luck!
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @$!nz- thank you
    @Dan!- sweet thank you for the info, this will give me a very good starting point! :D
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Oooh, I absolutely love Capcom's fighting game chicks, so I will most definitely be keeping my eyes peeled on this thread!

As it happens I'm working on a Cammy model myself, please check it out if you're interested :) (link in my sig)
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Jigsaw, I left a comment for you on your thread, I hope it helps :)
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, thank you Slaught
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I've been sculpting today I feel like I should illustrate a point. A subject spoken a lot but sometimes missed in execution because we sometimes get caught up in all the fancy details...Silhouette.

I find it to be the most important aspect of a character, especially if you are sculpting an existing character. There is something that makes that character iconic and usually that character has very little detail but in an instant you can tell who it is based off the silhouette. In my personal experience, after the major silhouette, I like to look at secondary shilouette(or at least thats what I call it for my own sake). The secondary forms made up from anatomy, but still not going to crazy about anatomy

Shillouette_zpsfd5f1552.jpg

Felicia, for example, major part of her silhouette is that gigantic bushy set of hair on her head, after that her big paws, thick thighs, hour glass torso, etc...

Silhouette is a principal of art that we overlook sometimes, just wanted to to share my thoughts on it for my own sake as a refresher and for anyone else that needs a refresher :)

Fundementals = good art :D

Edit- I'll have a WIP up by tonight or tomorrow :)
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a blockout of Felicia
    FeliciaS.jpg

Already without going into details you can get the feeling of the character, although I think the proportions can still be pushed more :)
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Regarding the fur. Felicia's fur is pretty short cropped so you can just bake it to a normalmap. Fibermesh is geometry so you can export it and bake it in xNormal.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! I agree the proportions can be pushed a bit further, but the first thing that stands out to me is that overall she doesn't seem to look quite 'thick' enough. Her arms and hands especially look thin, almost wiry. The silhouette of her hair feels a bit off as well, I think it stems from the way it kind of seamlessly blends into the curve of heir forehead (combined with the fact that she's missing her ears and the lock of hair hanging in her face, of course). Definitely off to a good start though! :)

One thing you should be very careful with though, if you're using the original sprites as reference, is to keep in mind that they are NOT drawn with a 1:1 pixel ratio in mind. Capcom's arcade hardware ran in 384x224 resolution which was then squashed to fit into the 4:3 frame of a regular monitor, so when viewed without that squashing, the sprites will be wider than intended. Making the sprites around 78% of their original width will give you the correct proportions. Here's a few visual aids:

cps_ratio.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice so far, I wanted to mention the 2 Disc Anime they don't show much of her but for what It maybe worth it might help a bit. I really like the look of her in It, maybe you will get something from It.

Her part starts at 7:35 in the video and ends.
    more
    here
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fingus- that is true and I will test that method, thank you

@jigsaw- That is very interesting about the pixel ratio, I would have never caught that, thank you; goes to show you that its important to make changes translating 2D to 3D, great find.
    You're correct about the hair, for now its just a place holder. I might sculpt it out to try out Fiber mesh's target mesh feature. Same with the fur on her body, I'll contemplate it on the way.

@$!nz- I was checking out the anime earlier, because of its animation I will take those images with a grain of salt.

One thing I want to know is what is her eye color???
    I always see blue or green.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to do some research and it seems even official sources can't quite agree on her eye colour. Most of the time they seem to be depicted as light blue, almost turquoise, but in the earliest artwork they seem more clearly green. In Vampire Savior they're deep blue, in Namco X Capcom they're green, and in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 they're back to the light blue. I think I'm as lost as you are at this point, lol. But at the same time I think it's safe to say you won't have to sweat it much, as long as you don't stray too far from that blue/green spectrum you'll be able to find some source material to support your decision. :P

You can find a nice collection of artwork that may or may not help you figure it out at Fighters Generation.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude wrote: »
    One thing I want to know is what is her eye color???
    I always see blue or green.

Make one blue and one green? or find a decent in between?
    I think my other comment was incomplete, I should have had two youtube video their, oh well you know what your doing. :\:thumbup::poly136:

Nice catch as well jigsaw!
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jigsaw- thanks for the help, yea I was getting so confused too lol. I guess I will go with a green to break up all the blue that she already has.
    @$!nz- thank you

here is where I'm at, still very much WIP-ish. Gotta do some more blocking in and design decision. Also concentrating on the ears, not happy with it yet, so I'll keep chugging away at that.
    WipFeliciaBlocking.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    looking good man- IMO the face needs to be cuter- probably wider cheeks, fuller lips-Good luck
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dan!, you're right she does need to be pushed towards the cute side. Never done a cute face before so this will be challenging for me :)
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update, trying to get that cute face
    I also masked in where her fur would be just to get a feel of the direction so far
    WIPFeliciaDecisions-1.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    wow looks great, id say raise the cheek bones a bit
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    maybe a bit more like this? quick liquify and overpaint

op.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome progress and walkthrough! I agree the current face feels way too serious and adult for the character!
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    Thank you Neox! the paint over is very helpful :)
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    The crease of the two forearm muscles is a bit to pronounced and long on the front of the arms. It's a bit distractive, and not too feminine(even for a female with giant forearms).
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress! The body looks great, the beefier arms is a huge improvement for sure. Her knees are a bit fat, but otherwise I like the shape of the legs as well.

It's funny to see her without the hair, the ears look about right, but without the hair they kind of overpower her face and make it a little difficult to truly judge the face. I can say though that I'm not really thrilled with it. Neox's paintover looks pretty, but still not really right IMO. I'm having a hard time explaining in words so I did a quick paintover of Neox's paintover :P

felicia_paintover.jpg

cliffs notes on my changes:
    -overall made the face younger, rounder, less strongly defined features
    -bigger eyes
    -smaller nose
    -pushed the :3 shape of the mouth a bit
    -higher/rounder eyebrows

Hope this helps!
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the feedback everyone, I extremely appreciate it :)
    All very great points, I'll have to make my next WIP post a good one
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Must add sexy luscious lips. ;)

I was looking at the design and a few concepts and without that headband/hair?
    You can't really tell what's going on (for me anyway) I figured it was fur but it looks like a headband of fur to me.:poly142:

Not for nothing but I can't get this face out of my head, It's so sexy.:poly124:
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Your model is looking good overall but I would suggest a more stylized face than the semi-realistic you have at the moment. It doesn't look bad at all but together with that body it looks a bit like a girl in a suit if you know what I mean. The PO Jigsaw made is a step in the right direction but make it even more round so it's closer to the original Felicia art.
  • TigerGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    I wouldn't do fur where you've masked. I personally prefer to think of Felicia as wearing a costume. All the animal bits are outlined as if they could be clothing, with nothing to say they're definitely parts of her. Besides, we naturally expect hair to grow in certain places on an humanoid body, and not in other places. It's weird to see pubic hair, then hair crossing over her nipples and in those other patterns. That sort of thing is only sexy to furries.

Another option is to cover her entirely in fur, with just the masked bits being white.

Also, I think a shorter, rounder face would suit her. It's both more in line with the Japanese ideal of cute, and fitting for a cat girl.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just want to give an update.

Where to begin....My freelance work kept me idle for almost 2 weeks rendering X(
    This prompted me that its time to buy a new pc, which should arrive shortly(can't wait).
    Besides that, Hurricane Sandy came strolling along and knocked out my power.

I'm one of the lucky ones though, power came on earlier this week for me, but many are still without power :/. After I get caught up, I'll bring the updates for Felicia and Corpse(my other thread)

Happy sculpting everybody!
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allrighty, I've been playing with fiber mesh now...I decided to tackle what I think is the hardest part, her long hair. Man its a huge pain grooming it.

What I've learned so far....

1)The Fiber parameters before accepting them are simple enough, but work out in a give or take kinda way. One parameter will be linked with another, so a lot of playing around in there.

2)This one was getting me angry for a while until I noticed there is an option for it. There are Fiber modifiers for the Fiber brushes, one of which dictates the collision tolerance between the fiber and the next closest subtool. Its set to 50 by default which IMO is retarded. So depending on the scale of your model in zbrush, you're gonna want to knock that slider down.

3)GroomToss brush seems to be the best bet for making broad strokes with long hair.

Right now Felicia looks like she fought with a blow dryer and lost, next I gotta play around more with grooming and making those big clumps of hair that she has.

atm, everything is rough including polypaint
    WIPFeliciaHair.jpg
    WIPFeliciaHair2.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    sorry cant say much but

the 80ies called tina turner wants her hair back
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^^hahaha, thats great
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    It's turning realy well. But to be honest, I'd prefer if her hair was sculpted, instead of simulated.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Definitely, sculpted hair would look so good on here. Right now all I can picture in my head is this:

Troll_JS.jpg
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    At some point her eyebrows drifted wayyyy upwards, I don't agree with the direction the jawline, chin, cheeks have taken either. I would suggest modeling blocking the hair in a more traditional manner before trying the fiber approach.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tina turner, classic, lol'd so hard, GJ.

It's not a bad thing what your doing but I would think the fiber mesh is more for realistic designs and I don't see how that would work out with this design unless your aiming for realism otherwise continue.

Though I have to agree with the others that sculpting her hairy bits would be better, either way you can sort of do both if you rather not part with the fiber mesh version.

Glad to see some updates no matter the time-frame.
  • Liquid-Grievous
    Epic wip!. Lolz Tina Turner hair^_^. A sculpt would als work well=) I look forward to seeing more from u!.

cheers.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    She has got some serious kabuki hair going on.