Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE] Normandy Sr2

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
Figured this project was at a presentable state, this is the Normandy SR2 from Mass Effect 3. Right now the model is sitting at around 8000 triangles. I could push it some more but I wanted to keep it at a realistic polycount.

It is split into two different texture sheets. One for them main body, wing like area and the circle area on the side and another for the engines.

The body texture is at 4096x4096 and engines at 2048x2048 but both scale down pretty well without losing much detail.

So any crits so far would be great!(No spec or grime on the engines yet) for reference here is a ingame screenshot from mass effect 3 Normandy_SR2_Alliance_Livery.png

Sg7Bl.jpg
PnmY9.jpg
W00bW.jpg

Replies

• e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey,

quick three things:

the model looks good as it is (havent played mass effect, so i dont know how accurate it is).
    presentation wise:
    try to use cameras with a lower Field of View to present such a long model
    maybe add particles, fog, atmosphere to it for the presentation! make it look like its part of a working and fun environment!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! The lower fov seems to help alot.

As for the presentation, that's something I have been thinking about. More specifically if I want to have some sort of smaller environment around the model or if its just the model itself how would be the best way to showcase it. Ill defiantly take those idea into consideration when I start focusing more on how to present the model when its done.

Any other ideas on how to would be great!
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    The body looks amazing so far. Good texture work.

I'm not sure the level of detail that you are trying to put into it, but the wings feel a bit flat to me. There are some bevels and details that I think would help catch the light better on the normal map.

KkHaS.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    your version of main body looks very segmentated compared to original. on original the seams between panels are less strong and there's more variation in shapes of panels.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out, I am working on having more variation in the smaller panels. The more segmented look is deliberate however. I how it looked on the SR1 a bit more. While it only has two of the lines, I like how they were a bit thicker compared to the Sr2.

normandy_render.png

@mospheric Defiantly putting some bevels in there, thanks for pointing that out!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Saso, I shorted up the wing a bit!

Had a bit of a Doctor Who marathon so I had a bit of a lazy day. No spec on the engines(doing that tomorrow!!!) but I got it to look like space.

My first though was, how is it lit up in space? Then it popped in my head no one at bioware thought of it so why rack my brain over something like that.

May add a planet in the background(just random though)

9ECaN.jpg

So things that should be done tomorrow

*Spec map and grime for engines
    *Emissive map for windows
    *Planet in background
    *change more stuff from crits

So keep the crits coming!
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    main difference between yours and this http://esyriansolarsystem.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/normandy_render.png is the lighting. keep in mind you are in space and lighting would probably be pretty harsh (or at least hinting at it in hollywood space), while your last shot is very flat in shading. try putting a good rim on it and don't hesitate to use lights with different color and specular multiplier on it.
  • Sentinel373
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sentinel373 polycounter lvl 5
    OEH competition :)
    Hi I'm currently working on a UDK scene featuring the normandy sr2 aswel.
    a few things that stand out to me on your model:
    -the tail fins are vertical on your model, they should be angled slightly outward and a little thinner
    -the space between the thrust nozzles and the engine pod on each of your engines should be bigger
    -The Thrust nozzles themseles should be slightly longer.
    -The Stabiliser fins on the front of each of the engine pods are missing the little cross beam at the tips.
    -The black strip that goes over the back of the ship is much too wide, also it shouldn't get wider when it gets down to the sides, it stays the same width through its entire length.
    -That same black strip should curve into a second black strip with windows underneath the strip you already have.
    -The sides of your stabiliser tips are angled inward, while the side closest to the hull should always be straight with the engine pod itself.

These pic should help quite a bit.mesr2orthos.jpg
    mass_effect_3__normandy_sr2_reference__by_troodon80-d4sxxii.jpg

Its a good start but for a ship thats 216 meters long 8000 polies is a little on the low side I recomend you go atleast double that amount to get more definition in some of the parts. Cryengine can handle quite a bit more.

Sorry if I sound a little blunt, but I think this feedback is more usefull than. "looks good"
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sentinel! Really detailed crits! Imm going back and fixing all those things and ill beef up the polycount to add some more details. I always seem to have an issue of making things a bit too low poly.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went back and got some more detail in, had to completely redo the unwrap so most of my texture for the main body has to be redone. But its easier the second time around! Also need to add the little prong like things at the front of the normandy

2DvDR.jpg
    pzdUx.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Along with the prong things, there's a tiny wing thing near the front of the ship on the top that you might add just for detail. Looks good though. Curious to see the not wireframed versions.
  • Sentinel373
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sentinel373 polycounter lvl 5
    Its starting to look more like the game version, nice work :)
    it might just be the angle of the screenshots but i think the middle part of the normandy's back is too flat it should curve more with the ship and not stay straight.
    also the little crossbeams at the stabiliser tips should be further forward.
    and i see you increased the space between the thrust nozzle's and the exhaust, but the trust nozzle's themselves should be a little longer, the "rings" are too thin.

Here's a screen from my level about what I mean.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img28/5564/retrofit50.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shield your eyes, its a sun!

Still need to add more details but I got the spec n the engines, re-did the paint job and just need to add a emissive for the windows.

1kolI.jpg
    IwJsV.jpg
    wchFg.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    The pointy things on the front still don't look like they do on the original. They're far too small and are missing the detail that goes in to them.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out, actually forgot to texture them, doh!

Will make a few more adjustments and might call it done. Gotta move onto the next thing!
    yYrEi.jpg
  • ZacD
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit more like this?

DYrd8.jpg
    cOew3.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any more crits before I put a nice looking bow on this?

RLM8y.jpg
    A4TaF.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I really like those blue lights you added - it illuminates the ship more in a way that makes sense :] I feel like you could choose better compositions for your shots though, like crop them closer in a bit closer to showcase the ship better, or put that moon somewhere else cuz personally I think it's an awkward tangent.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think your background could still need some work - look at that star trek stuff - the big planets and a moon/sun really help with perspective and setting a horizon and a believable reason for your lighting. You have a nice model, from the looks of it, but I can't put it into context (especially since I havent played the game) - I have no idea about its size and materials from this.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So better composition and add one or two large planets to help with the scale, lighting and perspective. Got it!