Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Boring bathroom study [CE3]

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
hostilis polycounter lvl 13
Finished Video of the Environment:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJxETglTpzg]Cryengine 3 Bathroom Study - YouTube[/ame]

Hey guys I just want to share my latest environment piece.

I did this project to further learn the advance features of CE3 and to practice lighting in-depth. My main goal is to know the necessary features for the revamping of my ancestral house environment and also to achieve near photo realism in real-time.

This is still WIP and has 2 phases of lighting. First is the day lighting, second is candle/night lighting.

I've disabled SSR and reduced the SSDO ambient value and hdr bloom.

I want to hear your comments/crits, thanks.

Lighting Iteration:
Progress.gif

Lighting Placements:
Lighting.gif

Hi-Res shots:
Shot_1.jpg
Shot_2.jpg
Shot_3.jpg
Shot_4.jpg
Shot_5.jpg
Shot_6.jpg
Shot_7.jpg
Shot_10.jpg
Shot_9.jpg
Shot_8.jpg

I'll post some breakdowns and video after I've finished the phase 2.
Ohh and sorry again for the boring reference :poly141:.

Replies

• jasonroels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very realistic looking! Can you explain the blur on the curtains, visible in hi-res shot 4?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Boring nothing! this is really cool! Soo much subtlety.
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Loving it, great lighting.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great study! if anything, the wall on the left (opposite to the bath tub) is a bit flat, given how "destroyed" the rest of the room is.

also: on the sink and bathtub you seem to have some kind of edge that reflects extra light near the top part? (pictures 2 and 4) did you change the smoothing group there (used hard edges)?

bonus points for vertex animation on those curtains!
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why would you do something you find boring? :)

It's great, like others said. Is there a spec map on the sink? If yes, it looks like it could use more conrast maybe(the stains look little flat). If not, add it :).
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    I'm surprised you didn't lose your mind trying to get that perfect mirror look in CryEngine, did you have a different setup per angle? Choose your shots based on what you could see in the reflection? Its one of the main draw backs to a deferred renderer as you would need a whole new collection of buffers just to render a simple mirror. In the short term there is hope in corrected cube maps though :D Although currently not supported in the FreeSDK :( Also the SSR in the FreeSDK is fairly old so there is a chance in the months to come there could be something to help you get those reflections. What you currently have is looking fantastic considering all the limitations in place. Great work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvar6X0dUGs"]Local Image-based Lighting With Parallax-corrected Cubemap - YouTube[/ame]

As a test you could attach a cubemap to your camera position. Then render your map before you take the screenshot. You could also try using more localized cubemaps in some areas.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking great! Some of the areas are coming off as paintings, but I think it's more or less related to the textures and not the lighting. The lighting looks spot on.

One of the first things that stood out is the wall opposite to the tub. It looks way too smooth. Try adding in some noise in the normal or some spots where it looks liked the paint brush overlapped and there's some small build up. The sink spec is really high too, in my opinion. It's dirty, yet still glossy?
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys!

@jasonroels

That is the motion blur I think. The curtain is a physicalize cloth.

@e-freak

I agree with the wall, I'll do something about it. Yes I've changed the smoothing groups for baking purposes.

@IchII3D

Actually the reflections is the thing that gave me headaches. The mirror reflection isn't very accurate when the camera is far away. I hope the corrected cube maps comes to the FreeSDK, Crytek did show some new reflection features from their tech demo.

Thanks for sharing the tip for the cubemap, I'll try to experiment more.

@leleuxart

Agreed, I'll put more contrast in my spec maps :).
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps you could add some moulding along that wall and an old picture or something. I have an old bathroom seen I will be touching up one of these days. Inspiring stuff not boring at all :)
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RMeeks

I'm also thinking to add mouldings and create some used towels to add some interest to the wall.

Here's some small update:

Edited the water volume material and added a drip gloss map to simulate wet edges done by the water:
    Water_R.jpg

Soften the edges of the tub and tweaked the specular map a bit. Also added a ground/tub seam mesh:
    TubEdge_R.jpg
    Sink_R.jpg

Added Subtle grime and added gloss map for the tiles:
    Tiles_R.jpg

Imperfection pass for the opposite wall:
    UpperWall_R.jpg
    LowerWall_R.jpg

Placement Plan:
    paintoverplan.jpg

I'm having problems with the cloth physics, whenever I add additional edges to my curtain mesh ,it just flicker rapidly even if I tweak the settings. The current mesh is ok but the low poly silhouette is noticeable.

curtainProblem.jpg

I hope someone has the solution to this problem :(.

Comments/Crits are welcome.
  • Mocib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really impressive. Loved your Radiator Room project.

Can't wait for the video.
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again Mocib :)

Working back at this project. Added some new assets and replaced the faucet.

here's the screenshots:

Phase2_4.jpg
    Phase2_1.jpg
    Phase2_3.jpg
    Phase2_2.jpg
    Phase2_5.jpg
    Phase2_7.jpg
    Phase2_6.jpg

No texture work yet just some initial pass of the materials.

BTW that oval thing is also a painting/picture frame.

Crits are welcomed.

Thanks.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is awesome. Really nice attention to detail. Love what you're putting together with this.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    shit just got real. photoreal.

amazing work man...
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    Boring nothing, just awesome.

The lighting looks so real!
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Your topic made me upset and in the end made me click your link (your plan all along?). Why would I want to look at something boring, and why do you waste a thread on something boring when instead I could be watching something awesome? Why would you be condescending regarding your own work when creating a thread about it? Be proud damn it.

I agree with the rest. This is far from boring. Looks good. Keep going.
  • ProjectInertia
    Everything looks great but what lets it down is the last picture with the towel's hanging on the rail. They just dont seem as good as the other models.
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the comments/crits guys.

@kodde

Sorry about the topic name. I chose it because some of my friends always say that my choices of environment are bland and boring. I really love interiors especially the mansion type and industrial urban decay (big fan of old school survival horror games).

At last, got more time finishing this piece. I'm still using the old 3.4.0 sdk in this piece. After I finalized my textures I'll be recreating the reflections and the lighting using the latest sdk build.

I'm still looking for my old acrylic paintings to change those placeholders :).

4th_1.jpg
    4th_2.jpg
    4th_3.jpg
    4th_4.jpg
    4th_5.jpg
    4th_6.jpg
    4th_7.jpg
    4th_8.jpg
    4th_9.jpg

Again I ask for your crits so I can finalize this and post another WIP environment that I'm doing.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Something about those towels makes them look fake. They don't look as affected by the lighting as everything else.

Also, I think you should keep those paintings :)
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    really nice, the memes hurt my feelings though :(
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Them paintings made my day hahaha, so awesome, also, I think this is fantastic! Nothing boring at all!
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    towels shouldn't be getting that much wider at the end.
    Unless they are rigid.And cloth isn't stiff like that.
    Gravity should take over and prevent that much of a wide at the end of towers.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Great job, I love proper archviz work lighting can be so nice to look at :)
    Actually it was more archviz than games that got me to start with 3D in the first place.

Here is a little photoshop mock-up I did.
    I6ZSLMD.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    ooo very nice! i love the lighting iterations and its nice to see a light placement breakdown. scene looks great!
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for pointing out the towel. I'm going to tweak it more.

@Stromberg

I love archviz lighting too, the only thing that I want to add is the imperfection and dirt since most of archviz piece are clean. btw I'm following a reference image for this piece(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63166765/ref.jpg). Thanks for the paint over though.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Periplaneta Americana... Nice choice of roach.
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update: added the paintings, tweaked the towels.

fifth_1.jpg
    fifth_2.jpg
    fifth_3.jpg

I tried remaking the daylight lighting on 3.4.4 but the current workaround for the negative light isn't really good because I can't get the medium darks that I want without bumping up the reflections :(, I guess that the daylight phase is now finish.

I'm gonna post the night/candle lighting in my next update using the 3.4.4 build.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    Wow I'm really impressed with this - very good texture job - great modeling - nothing boring about this piece - great job

- I think a bit of AO might be missing in the connection between the round golden painting frame painting - with the cardinal in it - and the wall
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    This is incredible! Heck it looked incredible from the beginning, I thought it was done, it would have been done and incredible by most standards, but it just keeps going. Amazing work!
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @arthur

thanks for the crit I'll apply it to the final screens/video.

@locater

update:

sixth_1.jpg
    sixth_2.jpg
    sixth_3.jpg
    sixth_4.jpg
    sixth_5.jpg
    sixth_6.jpg
  • ArminChaudhry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArminChaudhry polycounter lvl 7
    haha the meme painting are awesome :D

i like the way how you play with the light and how you manage to give that scene personality
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ArminChaudhry :)

Here's the video of the environment:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJxETglTpzg]Cryengine 3 Bathroom Study - YouTube[/ame]

aaaaaaaaaand I'm done with this piece. Gonna post my next WIP environment later.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    awesome! Came out great. The scene is really successful, very realistic! I'm a little conflicted, I love that the usable things show lots of use & wear, but decorative items show an attention to detail. Creates an interesting character for the room, as well as the character who'd use it - but I'm conflicted with whether that works or not.

Feel like the first 1/2 of your updates and progress were really owning the fucked up dirty bathroom look, then I feel like it lost sight of that when you started decorating it. For example, with a bathroom as gross and unkempt as it is, I would doubt the paintings, mirrors, and bottles would be arranged so neatly. It adds a layer of curiosity tho; "Does someone actually use this?! Who!!?" but I'm not sure it completely works. Think I'd suggest pushing some things "off the grid" by rotating paintings, mirrors slightly - but not to perfect angles. Just enough to be unsettling, but not enough to be apocalyptic.

Same kinda holds for the tiles around the tub. With the amount of gunk and grime built up in there, would imagine the tiles have also shared a beating - either by cracks and being repaired, or straight up chunks missing and baseboard/glue showing in its place.

great piece :)
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Looks cool!
    I think the tiles could use some reflection cubemaps though.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great.
    Can I ask you a question? Was this the Infinity Ward art test? I remember a while back, someone I worked with mentioned that they had an art test from that studio and they said that's what it was, just a normal looking bathtub. Not grimey, not clean, just a normal looking bathtub.
    Anyway, you do good work, can't wait to see what you do next. :)