TurboSmooth Pro released

obliviboy
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
obliviboy polycounter lvl 12
turbosmooth-pro-04.jpg
turbosmooth-pro-06.jpg

No more annoying support loops

TurboSmooth Pro is a modifier plugin for 3ds Max which produces nice smooth semi-sharp creases on your models, unlike the ugly creases that the standard TurboSmooth produces. TurboSmooth Pro also give you the ability to have linear UVs which in some cases can help in the texturing pipeline.

More here http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/turbosmooth-pro

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXyoBg3hZ4"]TurboSmooth Pro 1.0 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sLJ0ftVu_8"]TurboSmooth Pro 1.01 - Visualize Edge Creases - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Do you have a demo version? I'd like to check it out on some more complicated geometry.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk wrote: »
    Do you have a demo version? I'd like to check it out on some more complicated geometry.
    Currently there is no demo.
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    I would like to see some examples of it being used in the situations you see come up in the hard surface thread all the time such as attaching rectangular forms to cylinders or cutting into round forms. A quick glance at the images in the "How u model dem shapes" thread should provide lots of examples to tackle.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Send me some models and I will make video demonstration.

Performance wise is performs about the same as the normal turbosmooth. The bottle neck is the mesh redraw, is so slow, the actual subdivision calculation is very fast.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    With real game models I definitely have the opposite experience, where generating the subdivision can take several seconds but rendering is at 200FPS. 1M or more tris. I'm definitely interested in anything that speeds up subdiv
    Rendering is not a problem, the problem is deforming meshes. When you try to just apply a bend modifier on high resolution mesh it chokes. Wish I knew what kind of voodoo tricks they used on gPoly to make it faster.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    This is pure win, I miss max, ahah!
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice, just bought it. I'm about 2 days into a project and this will get used heavily. Your quad-chamfer modifier has already saved me hours of work, and this will make things go even faster. Will have to spring for the quad-cap modifier at some point as well.

You make great plugins and scripts, keep up the good work.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Oh man this could be huge, I to would like to see it used in a real situation such as a hard surface high poly mesh. Hope someone here will lend ya one to try it on. :thumbup:
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how compatible is this with existing baking workflows? given I author my lowpoly with this tool to create a hi-poly, is there a way to spit out a mesh that will look the same to other applications? in which format do you store the crease data in the file and is this something that you could transfer/use with other tools?

last but not least: are those weights and creases animatable?

looks like a great tool!
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    how compatible is this with existing baking workflows? given I author my lowpoly with this tool to create a hi-poly, is there a way to spit out a mesh that will look the same to other applications? in which format do you store the crease data in the file and is this something that you could transfer/use with other tools?

last but not least: are those weights and creases animatable?

looks like a great tool!

It creates polygons which have don't have anything special attached to them. You can collapse the mesh and export to it to Xnormal or any other application and it will look the same.

The crease and weight values come with editable poly, they exist by default in max and are saved in the max file with the editable poly. They can't be animated, that's the editable poly's fault.
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    65-80USD is quite a bit for a modifier, though not an odd occurrence for people to purchase something like this. Would definitely feel much more inclined to purchase if someone lent you a high poly model to showcase, like you said.

Will lurk. :)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obliviboy wrote: »
    It creates polygons which have don't have anything special attached to them. You can collapse the mesh and export to it to Xnormal or any other application and it will look the same.

can you show a wireframe of a collapsed model? thanks for the reply :) - i might give this a go on my next side project!
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    can you show a wireframe of a collapsed model? thanks for the reply :) - i might give this a go on my next side project!
    The third one is collapsed, you need to turn off Isoline Display before you collapse it.
    tbpro.jpg
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    As a modeler who uses the "smoothing group turbosmooth turbosmooth" style. This modifier would be immensely helpful and would cut down on a lot of wasted polygons.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm... This is awesome, no doubt, but am i the only one thinking that actually charging for this is kinda wierd?
    If you had programmed the open sub div library by yourself i would not have any concerns, but pixar released it on good will, now you are trying to make some bucks with it...

Thats like giving a kid a lollipop, just to witness that it sells it on the school yard.

Still nice work as always, whish i had enough money to buy every item on your page at least once :)
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... This is awesome, no doubt, but am i the only one thinking that actually charging for this is kinda wierd?
    If you had programmed the open sub div library by yourself i would not have any concerns, but pixar released it on good will, now you are trying to make some bucks with it...

Thats like giving a kid a lollipop, just to witness that it sells it on the school yard.

Still nice work as always, whish i had enough money to buy every item on your page at least once :)
    The code for the semi-sharp creases isn't that complicated but until now Pixar held a patent on the algorithm and you had to license it from them.

It is not like plug and play, I had to do a lot of work to make it work, fix bugs, make it faster, etc. It took time and energy and that's why I'm charging for it.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    Okay, you got a point. I'm sry, didnt want to upset you, quite frankly i must admit that i have not enough knowledge to estimate how much work it was.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, you got a point. I'm sry, didnt want to upset you, quite frankly i must admit that i have not enough knowledge to estimate how much work it was.
    Don't worry about it.

Does anybody has some feature request?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    This looks very interesting, but I would love to see it used on a more complex model before I buy it. :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Likewise. Either a timed demo or more complex examples/video need to be shown. This costs the same as nDo, heh.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    why would people need a demo, it does the same thing as creasing in maya, modo and blender. a feature which max has always lacked but is ultra usefull.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    passerby wrote: »
    why would people need a demo, it does the same thing as creasing in maya, modo and blender. a feature which max has always lacked but is ultra usefull.

Why would you test drive a car before buying? Surely it does the same thing as every other car?
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    I havent played with this much yet but I did notice a bug when hiding polys in editable poly and turning on show end result. Turbosmooth preserves what polys are hidden and Turbosmooth pro shows all polys in the object even though some are hidden.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havent played with this much yet but I did notice a bug when hiding polys in editable poly and turning on show end result. Turbosmooth preserves what polys are hidden and Turbosmooth pro shows all polys in the object even though some are hidden.
    Didn't think about that, thanks. I will fix it in the next update.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new video showing more creases and uv mapping.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fK5b6olDa0"]TurboSmooth Pro - Creases and UV Mapping - YouTube[/ame]
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    This costs the same as nDo, heh.

A non-commercial version of nDo, worth noting.

What is interesting is Marius' own Quad Chamfer is half the price point as his Turbosmooth Pro. It's interesting because Quad Chamfer is precisely why I don't need Turbosmooth Pro.

Still though, sure does look convenient. Removes a layer in the workflow.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I picked this up yesterday. Worth it.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turbosmooth-pro-06.jpg
    I released version 1.01.

Changes in 1.01
    -Added a visualize edge creases mode
    -Fixed a bug that caused faces set invisible to be displayed after they have been subdivided
    -Fixed a typo in the UI, "Linear" instead of "Liniar"

Here is a video of the new Visualize edge crease mode. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sLJ0ftVu_8"]TurboSmooth Pro 1.01 - Visualize Edge Creases - YouTube[/ame]
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow - that visualization feature alone makes it awesome (and not just for modeling - for presentation too! ). Very, very interesting stuff. I need to try it out now :D
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    really interesting...
    is it possible to get also ptex support and working displacement with this..?
    and how does this work with fbx export/import..?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Oooh, the visualization mode is neat.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    mh, looks quite similar tio the crease function of the subdivision modifier in blender as passerby already said. can anyone compare the two in more detail?
    i didn't know that maya has a similar function. why isn't it used more often? whats the advatage, what the disadvantage compared to using good old support loops?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You know if you thinkk this plugin is strong enough, why not send out a copy or two to some well known hard surface artists on PC and ask them for their feedback and opinions? If you can make a convert out of a vocal polycounter, it would do wonders to legitimise the plugins value and get the word out.
  • singgum3b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello sir, can i get a discount for this? My salary is only around 250 bucks here,so 40 euro is quite a lot for me.I dont often buy sw license though :|
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    very nice , i wondered a few years back if this wasnt possible so you just gave me my answer ^^
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great update so much cool work
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    fearian wrote: »
    You know if you thinkk this plugin is strong enough, why not send out a copy or two to some well known hard surface artists on PC and ask them for their feedback and opinions? If you can make a convert out of a vocal polycounter, it would do wonders to legitimise the plugins value and get the word out.

Yeah, maybe Earthquake or someone.
    I agree, getting someone awesome to love your product could do wonders.
    And it would give you practical examples to show, too.

Looks like an awesome tool though. Almost makes me wish I used max.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    EQ, Snefer , Xoliul , Racer445, lonewolf, pior etc... (just from the top of my head)
    Have some of them endorse your product and you`ll get more people using it.

Some of these guys also make tutorials once in a while and if they show other people they are using your plugin then you`d get more sales.
    Also these guys know whats up when it comes to hardsurface modeling and can give you direct feedback on how it could be improved.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    This looks like the perfect bridge between Max hardsurface and Zbrush. We're going to pick up a couple of licenses and try it out.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Wow this looks great, when can you make the Maya version.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    malcolm wrote: »
    Wow this looks great, when can you make the Maya version.

You know about the crease tool, right?

CreaseTool.jpg

Not sure it does everything this tool does, but it gets the job done.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep I know the crease tool, it does not create nice bevels like adding edge loops, it takes all the verts and pushes them together creating ugly shading on lower poly objects, in order for the crease tool to work in Maya you have to subdivide the model so densely that the scene can't even tumble around a cube in real time.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    malcolm wrote: »
    Yep I know the crease tool, it does not create nice bevels like adding edge loops, it takes all the verts and pushes them together creating ugly shading on lower poly objects, in order for the crease tool to work in Maya you have to subdivide the model so densely that the scene can't even tumble around a cube in real time.

Is that really how it works? Doesn't feel that way to me.
    But at any rate, maybe it doesn't create nice beveled edges straight-out, but with very little work, you can do it. And much quicker than with support edges. And this shape really isn't so dense. And if you dislike the shading at corners in low-poly models, another option is to harden that edge, which fixes that.

CreasyBevel.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've created an example image illustrating the issue with crease geo, I don't like the look the creased geometry gives, it looks janky like you have taken a low poly cube and smoothed the normals then moved some verts around. Technically I could up the sub d level of my creased cube 10plus times to create the example you have, but I've found upping the sub d so high makes the scene unusable because of performance issues on any real world examples, also you can't harden edges on smooth proxy geo, you would have convert the smooth proxy to polygons before you could use the soft hard edges tool to fix shading errors, and at that point I might as well just model the shape in low poly and skip the whole smooth mesh workflow as the surface would no longer be live. So yeah, I still want this guys tool in Maya it looks awesome.

creasetoolnogood.jpg
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    The funny thing is, you have access to a better version of this tool in Maya. If you watch the video above his subdivisions are set to 4. They are based off of the same technology, Pixar's semi-sharp sub-d creases, they recently released the source to the public and created a version for Maya supporting realtime cuda accelerated displacement
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3L9BOTEtw"]Pixar Animation Studios Open Subdivision Technology Review - YouTube[/ame]
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang, I thought the tool magically generated virtual edge loops.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i want to see wires of actual collapsed meshes (like that car body example) after using the creasing tool... no point in using it unless it can create good geo that can be collapsed and edited.

or give me the tool and i'll create whatever examples people want and give my honest thoughts
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Racer445 wrote: »
    i want to see wires of actual collapsed meshes (like that car body example) after using the creasing tool... no point in using it unless it can create good geo that can be collapsed and edited.

or give me the tool and i'll create whatever examples people want and give my honest thoughts

You can download the modo demo and try this. Freeze the geo after you crease. :poly124:
  • purehilarity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
    looks very nice. Is this much different from creasing in Maya? Sorry if I sound stupid...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I`ve been using it at work since it came out. Wish I had it a few weeks earlier. if I have time, I might be able to make something at lunch. What is your definition of "complex"?