Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

London Chap

I am subscribed to a few "street fashion" blogs were photographers snap pics of fashionable people on the street. I have been wanting to make one of these "regular people" for a while now. I recently saw this duder

londonstreetstylemensweargarconjon1.jpg

and I don't know. He sorta spoke to me. I felt like making something inspired by him. I am not sure if I am going to match it exactly but it's what I am going off of.

Here is a little work. Getting some of the clothes in there and pushing some stuff around. More updates soon!

LondonChap_wip1.jpg

Replies

• spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    the pants should be fun, its a little tricky sculpting folds in jeans, but if you can nail that diamond pattern that appears between the folds, it'll come out nice!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. Yea I think that is the part I am looking forward to the most.

Here is a small update on the shoes. Lordy making shoelaces takes a long time.

shoes_wip1.jpg
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    Nice model, it's pretty original!

It's looking good so far. I'm no anatomy expert, but aren't the hands a tad too big? Not that much, but they seem a bit off.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey nix! good job so far!

i think the feet and hands a little bit to big right now and the pants doesnt feel as skinny as on your ref.
  • Hideouscreation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideouscreation polycounter lvl 5
    This is a question i've wanted to ask for a long time, how do you get such clean crisp low poly clothing? when i do it, it turns out like ass.
  • AdelScott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice concept to make model in such way. I also think that hands are too big.
  • Alkogolik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alkogolik polycounter lvl 9
    Hi man. I had the same idea about freaks on street, especially in Japan, but now I do not have enough free time to do that. But i will do it in the future))

Good choice, by the way.. i mean your duder))
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a question i've wanted to ask for a long time, how do you get such clean crisp low poly clothing? when i do it, it turns out like ass.

This is also a thing I wanted to ask.

I've worked on an anatomy study in zbrush for a while; wanted to make some quick low poly clothes to throw ontop and sculpt - thought it would be beneficial practice.

Only thing is I've not really done many characters; your character at the moment, I believe has a 3 layers; anatomy, tshirt/top and then a final coat/blazer.

Is this all low poly clothes placed ontop before sculpting and finally retoploging will utilise this as the non required polygons underneath will go; or is it literally

Your character is formed via clothes that function as its anatomy; so in theory although you've made a top underneath the coat - you've only modelled what can be seen for the low poly version...?

Probably sounds like a very silly question, but hopefully itll clear a few things up for me :(
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Cool idea. Same as others have mentioned the hands and feet are a touch big. Overall I think you could push character a bit more. This guy looks like a stringbean, so, taller and thinner might look pretty cool, then you could leave the feet as they are.

Keen to see where you go from here.

THOSE SHOES LOOK ACE by the way :thumbup:
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good catch on the hands/feet guys! Thanks so much. I like easy tweaks.

Dude duncan seeing the way you push the proportions on Chole totally makes me want to do that to him. It looks so awesome. I am not sure yet tho. It's tempting.
    It took me a while to make decent low(er) poly clothes. I build almost all of my clothes by retopoing on top of my naked base. Then I use the Shell modifier to add outward thickness. I use WrapIt in 3dsMax which has some awesome features. But you can do it in any program really.

I remember there being three big epiphanies that helped me a ton. This is mostly 3dsMax centric.

- Constrain to edge in vert mode. This is really useful for straitening horisontal edgeloops without loosing the form. With this toggled you can scale the verts along one axis and they will straiten out while keeping the shape you have. I use this all along the body, arms and legs. Gets a little wacky with WrapIt tho.

- Relax. Not your posture. Vertices. I use the relax feature in WrapIt but the native 3dsmax feature works pretty well too. It just looses the shape some. This will smooth our your topo and try to make everything square. This can also be used with constrain to edge.

- Let the computer do the work for you. This is probably the biggest "theory" and one I still try and work on. Creating every single poly when retopoing takes FOREVER. Build your clothes with the minimal amount of geo necessary and then use Connect/Flow Connect to create even spacing. Also, use primitives! Create a cylinder with even spacing for the arms/legs and shrink wrap it to the high res. It's so much faster than building it poly by poly.
    This is also a thing I wanted to ask.

I've worked on an anatomy study in zbrush for a while; wanted to make some quick low poly clothes to throw ontop and sculpt - thought it would be beneficial practice.

Only thing is I've not really done many characters; your character at the moment, I believe has a 3 layers; anatomy, tshirt/top and then a final coat/blazer.

Is this all low poly clothes placed ontop before sculpting and finally retoploging will utilise this as the non required polygons underneath will go; or is it literally

Your character is formed via clothes that function as its anatomy; so in theory although you've made a top underneath the coat - you've only modelled what can be seen for the low poly version...?

Probably sounds like a very silly question, but hopefully itll clear a few things up for me :(

I am not exactly sure what you are asking but maybe this image will help. Usually having each piece be separate is best for the high poly. Like I mentioned above I create the clothes from retopoing a copy of the naked high res. Sometimes I will use some of the geo from the base mesh but this is not always possible. I usually leave the naked body intact (not pictured) for a while until I am very sure I wont need the parts hidden by clothes. Then I chop the parts off so I can have higher resolution per part. Its also easier to bake and reopo later.

Later when I am done sculpting I will retopo again to make the game mesh. In the game mesh the multiple layers of clothes will not exists. It will just be one solid mesh. I may or may not use the low poly parts I made for the high res for the retopo. It depends how much I mutilated it.

Let me know if I missed the mark on your questions. I will try to elaborate if something is unclear.

A real update soon!

LondonChap_xview.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny update. Still need to scale the hands down some. Just did some work on the clothes.

LondonChap_wip2.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Lots of sculpting on the pants and added the shirt and watch at the wrist.

I am not sure if I am going to use fabric texture or not. I usually think it looks too noisy but it may help sell the tweed jacket... any opinions?

LondonChap_wip3.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I think a subtle noise would be good. He's got a modern tweed jacket that doesn't look like it has much texture to it. One way I've been adding normals to clothing recently is with Ndo2. Convert a texture to a normal and use Ndo's "overlay normal" to mix it with your bake. If you have Ndo2 that's worth a try.

He's looking cool. I feel like his hands and feet are too big and his jacket is a bit too tight around the waist.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori: Thanks for your feedback man. I really need to use Ndo2 more. I always forget about it when I get to texturing.

Lots of little details added. Scaled down the hands and feet some. Worked on the face, hair and hands alot. I think I am juuuusst about done with sculpting unless someone points out some stuff.
    LondonChap_wip4.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Here are my suggestions:

Zz8du.jpg

-Pull his shoulders up and out
    -Lengthen the bottom of the jacket
    -Shrink his hands and feet to about 90% of their current size
    -Shrink his head to about 80-90% its current size
    -Lower his crotch slightly

I'd also suggest making his legs just a teeny tiny bit skinnier. Don't overdo it! They just need to be very slightly thinner.

It'll really help if you overlay the photo on top of a screenshot of your model and make adjustments accordingly. There's certainly some perspective that needs to be taken into account, but it's still very helpful.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle! That is awesome man thank you so much!

I tried implementing the feedback you mentioned and I think it helped alot. Do you think I went too far or not enough in any areas?

Also worked on the hands and some other details. Probably hard to notice.
    LondonChap_wip5.jpg
  • DriehuijzenDirk
    I really love the detail in those shoes, well done ! :P
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Nice one nyx702, just some minor things. but you know from who right so ...
    the sunglasses should create some more distortion in the cloth they appear flat now to me.
    The shoe are in deed pretty cool . but i think he's wearing Converse All stars. So the round label should be placed 1 both sides 2 only on the outside or 3 none.
    And last but i think i am talking to soon, are the jewelry . i mean i think that really sells it of as a real geezer.
    for the rest super duper as usual keep them coming

greets Bertmac
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DriehuijzenDirk: Thanks man! They look me a dang long time.

Bertmac: Aw man good feedback. I pulled the pocket out some and tried to make some distortion. Not sure if its coming across in the bake tho... Great catch on the logo too. I went ahead and added the logo to the other side as well. It's kinda hard to see but I added the finger ring, earring, and watch as well. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Here is a shot of some initial bakes in Toolbag. I made some fabric texture on the high rez on a layer. I am not 100% sure if I will keep it in the normal or not. I might just use it in the AO.

I am sort of nervous to start the diffuse...

LondonChap_wip6.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Bakes came out great. The hair looks pretty ace as well. I would probably keep the normal map detail on the jacket but I would also probably add some knit detail to the jumper too.

Don't be nervous about the diffuse. That is where the magic happens.

P.S I would probably Set the bottom edges of the jacket and the loops around the soles of the shoes to hard and bake them again. That should get rid of the rainbowed normals.

I am looking forward to seeing the next steps. Great work.
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    good and clean bakes. the guy still looks to old. not like a fancy hipster more like older boat owner no offense
    I suggest to make him 10 or 15% slimer in arms and chest. and longer legs smaller head
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah these look cool
    but...

^^ What they say^^

O and about the diffuse and such, try to start with a colored AO map.

hope that helps

Cya
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    use a smaller fov, the head is again looking too big, like you didn't apply swizzles feedback :)
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the feedback guys! I will keep pushing it.

duncan: Man you gotta know I am learning alot from your thread. I appreciate your crits. Good catch on the nMap wavies.

osk: Thanks man. Taking a step back I agree. I might go back and tweak the face in Zbrush too.

Bertmac: Thanks for checking him out again. It's that tweed pattern I am afraid of!

Neox: Thanks! Yea this is just the default fov for Toolbag. Good tip. I swear I did Swizzles feedback! I probably just didn't push it far enough.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Marmoset default FOV is a bit too extreme. I agree that his head could still be smaller but I think Swizzle pushed it too small. He's not a big bulky guy. Maybe somewhere in between where it is now and Swizzles? (hands still seem too big and feet a bit too long).
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm yeah i was looking at the default FOV of toolbag too but didn't now how to change. do you guys know
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont have it here, but it think its in the render tab, try a fov of 40 or below for humans
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea Neox has it.

Render>Camera> Field of View

Second slider down.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac wrote: »
    Hmm yeah i was looking at the default FOV of toolbag too but didn't now how to change. do you guys know

Mah beautiful mouse red circle:
    QyTHo.png
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool guys
    learned something new today

thanks

Bertmac
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. I tweaked alot of little things. Made parts of the head, feet, and hands smaller. Made him a tad skinner too.

Started a base texture as well. I dont know about that jacket. I don't think I am going to do the flannel type pattern. It looks really boring without it tho.

LondonChap_wip8.jpg
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely going dude

o and stop answering you own questions :) i mean there is your answerre

" I don't think I am going to do the flannel type pattern. It looks really boring without it tho. "

i think i saw a nice tut a bout this. i will look it up for ya

cya
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much Bertmac! That link helped!

Ok guys. I worked on the texture some. I think it's a little better. Here is a pose I have been working on too. I am not sure if it's going to be final or not. What do you guys think? Is it hipster enough? I wanted something subtle but hopefully not boring.

LondonChap_wip9.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pose is pretty cool! Lighting seems a bit too dark though, especially if you're going for the outdoor look. Are you done with the texturing? I think it needs some more work.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your suggestions. Good call about the outside lighting.

I am not sure if I am done with the texture. It can probably be pushed further but I don't really know what else to do. I want a cleaner look so I don't want to add a bunch of grunge. I did add some paisley pattern around the jacket pocket tho.

LondonChap_wip10.jpg
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you can alter the AO , it looks to me that you just used a black and white one.
    using the color of the surrounding material.

+ i Know he's from London, the place where it always rains. but 4 real they have more color then that in their skin:poly121:
    you could use the colored Ao perfectly on his skin to give it some variation

PS is that the jacked the result of the link i gave ya. wow looks ace dude. Nice

cya
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that you shouldn't add any grunge to him. I think his jacket needs to be more interesting though as it's kind of a characterful feature in your photo reference. Maybe have more of a contrasting pattern on it?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    The pose looks unnatural to me....just the legs though, maybe the toes need to point outward ever so slightly.
    OG4AR.png
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice paintover. It's more along the lines of what I was thinking. Like the softer face as well.
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model looks really neat man! Texture wise i think it looks finished because i mean modern day clothes aren't full of stuff, it's mostly just a pattern and a color.

I have been thinking about getting into character creation myself, u have any good tutorials to recommend? :)
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlbinLundahl polycounter lvl 5
    Looks really cool man, really digging the style! :) Haven't got much critique for now, but if I think of something I'll shout out! Nice work!
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    The update looks better, good job. The clothes looks pretty damn nice. The one thing that stands out to me is the chin size. It's making the face look smaller than it actually is.

Scruples's paint over is spot on, I find the softness brings it more inline with the original reference.

londonchap_changes.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry, double posted.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punchface polycounter lvl 6
    This is a great project. I'm totally digging on it. It's really refreshing to note a complete absence of lightening-bolt shooting swords and gigantic spiked shoulder armor etc. :)

pf
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha pretty cool to see all versions standing next to each other.
    A lot has changed
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I am going to work on it the next couple days and see what I come up with.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tini-tiny update

LondonChap_wip11.jpg

I edited the hand-on-hip hand to be more realistic. Changed the direction he was looking. And added some more color and a little subtle to his face.

Bertmac: I do have some color in the AO it's just subtle. Some blue in the jacket and some reds in the pants and skin. Heck yea its went thru some changes. My stuff always seems to go thru alot of changes and some real ugly phases before anything decent comes out.

punchface: Thanks man. I appreciate that. I wanted to do something more modern for that exact reason.

Leinad: Thanks for that man! I think its going to help alot. I appreciate it.

AlbinLundahl: Thanks for looking at my stuff!

Johan3043: Thanks man! I have been trying to think of a specific tutorial for characters and I am not sure that I really watched any. I mostly just read thru all the wealth of info here on PC!

Fomori: Thanks for all your help thru this project!

Scruples: Thanks for the paintover! Yea there are some differences. The skin tone is pretty different.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    straighten that damn leg! try to stand like this for aome time :D

contrapposto.jpg

one leg need to be straight to balance the weight without putting much energy into it
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Face looks a bit "dirty" around the cheeks. Is that supposed to be stubble? Also eyebrows need lightening up a bit (closer to his hair) and his eye whites are too white. I still think his jacket still needs a pattern or something. Almost there though! Hands, hair and hat is looking very nice.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Great job. I think the material definition of the hat could use some work... is it leather? It doesn't really pop so much right now.

Pose him leaning up against a wall having a smoke or something :P