Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - John Broadway, Environment & Concept Art

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Broadway polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

I'll be actively job hunting soon and just finished my first pass on a portfolio site. I'm looking for feedback on any aspect of it - layout, content, navigation, resume, whatever.

Link:
http://www.john-broadway.com

I'm especially looking for advice on which pieces to remove - I feel like I have too much stuff in here at the moment and I'm sure some of it is dragging the rest down.

Any help yall can supply would be much appreciated!

Replies

• romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Well, that's really cool stuff you got here :o i think the variety of work express your experience and i think that's a good point for a job hunting. The navigation is great, we directly have some of your works. The only critic i could have would be that your resume/linkedin link is not well placed, I didn't think going at the top of the page to find them =)
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

I think you might be right that the contact info could be in a more ideal spot. Do you think something like this would work better?

9Z53I.jpg
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently updated my site with my newest work, so I'm taking the opportunity to bump this thread. I'd love to get some more feedback. Anything is fair game - site design, quality of work, whatever!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    A really nice portfolio site John. I like the simplicity and the ability to have everything there at once. No nonsense... There's something that tells me it would be nice to have titles for each of your images... Though that's just me and maybe I'm being too picky!

Your work is amazing though, look forward to seeing what else comes from you!
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback maverickhornet! I was definitely shooting for simplicity so I'm glad that is working :). I will mess around with titles for each piece, but I think it will kind of be a battle of infomation vs. simplicity; with titles on each piece it could get a little cluttered. And I don't know that I really have titles for a lot of these that would be helpful anyway - it would be stuff like "Tactical Battle Arena" and "Service Hallway". But I will experiment with adding names and see if I can get anything that looks cool.

Also you can click on each piece to get more info about it and breakdowns, etc. I was thinking this would be apparent and wouldn't need any explanation... was I correct in this? Or should I have some text that says "Click for breakdowns" or something to that effect at the top of the page?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    your resume doesn't list the name of the studios u worked at. only the project. fix that.
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP: Uh oh, that's not good! I don't know what's going on; the company names are displayed for me in Chrome, Firefox, IE and my phone browser... I don't know why they wouldn't show up for you! I'm new to making websites so I might have overlooked something that is causing the problem. What browser are you using?
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    It's okay, it's a really nice site and think its virtually there already. I do agree with you that text/titles on the images might make it look cluttered. Perhaps you could do a 'roll over state' where the title comes up when you move the cursor over that button? Then you only see one title at a time? You might just have to play with it though we could be worrying over nothing as it might just be best how it is. As for the titles, it's more just to give a firm idea of what it is. 'Tactical Battle Area' would be fine.

I would keep the images on the pages simple as it is possible to over complicate things. Just have the necessary information there without having to do too many clicks. It's all about having everything there as soon as possible with the littlest of effort!