Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer Ork warrior

Hi all, trying to improve my game modeling skills here is a new model.
Nothing original as it is an other ork but here is what I did.

I finished my high poly and heading to modeling the low poly.
I posted it in the sketchbook thread too, but because I need feedback and criticism I want to start a thread here as I had really great advices from my last model.
So don't hesitate to comment. I will mainly concentrate on technical aspect (low poly modeling, baking and texturing) as it is my weakest point.
Not that I think I'm supah good in high poly modeling but at least I'm able to make something to let me play with these parts.

So here is the model.

Ork_char01r.jpg

Replies

• Warotic
    not sure what your image file type is, but it takes ages to load up.
  • jaydon
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    I think he looks sweet
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good! But it would be awesome to see more gear like on the belt like a human skull or bags and stuff :)
  • Dmarmor
    Warotic: I have to admit I don't fully understand how jpg compression work. I can't completly predict what my image file size will be. I'm using irfanview and I noticed that exif and other data can increase your file size even if you have nothing in it.
    The quality compression can ruin completly my picture even at low compression rate.
    I tried to optimize it after your comment and I managed to get it at 230ko.
    Or maybe I'm just rambling on and it just my host that is slow.

Jaydon, thank you.

SveinY, At your command! I added a skull and two pouches, it is a great idea and fill the empty space. Thanks

Here it is:

Ork_char02r.jpg
  • Dmarmor
    Here is an update. I made the lowpoly, it has currently 6806 tris but the body is complete and it count the hidden body part, I want to make his body too.

So here are the pictures.

OrkWireA001.jpg
    OrkWireA002.jpg
    OrkWireA003.jpg
    OrkWireA004.jpg

And a gif turnaround.

OrkTurnaround02.gif

Every crits are welcome.
  • Dmarmor
    Here is an update, the lowpoly version with its normal map.
    I still have some issue to display the normal map correctly in marmoset, I have to find what is going on. I don't know if it comes from my baking or my setup in marmoset, if anyone has any clue I'm all ears.

Ork_Low_char01.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Dmarmor wrote: »
    Here is an update, the lowpoly version with its normal map.
    I still have some issue to display the normal map correctly in marmoset, I have to find what is going on. I don't know if it comes from my baking or my setup in marmoset, if anyone has any clue I'm all ears.

Ork_Low_char01.jpg

i'm not too familiar with marmoset, but it looks like you need to flip the green channel... but only in some areas, which is weird.

what are you using to bake this down? i think the marmo guys recently said xNormal gives the best results? not sure though, might be worth looking up.
  • Dmarmor
    I'm using Xnormal, but maybe my setup is wrong. I should provide my uvs layout because I have overlapping uvs. That's certainly what cause the issue, I don't know if I have to move the overlapped uv in an other UV square while baking or in marmoset or both :)

Here are the uvs
    Uvs_ork01.jpg
  • Hang10
    Are you offsetting the overlapped UVs? Having overlapped UV will cause the renderer to bake that location more then once which would explain why the green channel would have to be flipped in only a few areas.
  • Dmarmor
    I didn't indeed, that's my second game model so I'm not completly aware of these things.
    Thanks. So I have to setup my uvs for baking and rendering.
    I'll do that, thanks.

Just wondering, does moving my uvs to an other coordinate will fix the issue? Or I have to delete these part completly or it will be baked twice with this setup too?
    Because if Xnormal manage mutli uv tile moving to an other tile will just make the same thing. Am I correct?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just offset anything that's mirrored in the UVW map by 1.

so for example, it looks like the legs are mirrored, so select the UV's for one of the legs, and offset it by 1. then bake it out, and both legs should look fine in marmoset after that.
  • Dmarmor
    Thanks for the help, I finally baked my maps and displayed my model correctly in marmoset.
    Here is the result.

Ork_Low_char02.jpg

Now heading to the textures.
  • Dmarmor
    Hi, I'm back and did the texturing, sorry for the long time without posting, but finally I finished it.
    Anyway every crits are welcome.

Ork-davidmarmor02.jpg