Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

another hero of time

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
so i decieded to create my own link model w/e.so heres the concept/idea
linkquickconcept_zpsab0122c4.jpg

heres day one progress of putting it all together. its really early. just doing mesh extracts to get piecs there so i can define them later.
wip1_zps8c4e7812.jpg

Replies

• jermaineb
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry the lack of updates, but here is the sculpt
    linkwip2.jpg
    comments concerns?
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    your anatomy is off in a lot of places. the hands are too small. his shoulders not broad enough, this is a male, not a female. his arms are too skinny and awkwardly posed.

honestly id suggest you model the body roughly without clothes and then put clothes on. if you are still learning anatomy you need to conquer that before you decide to go with clothes straight away. even pro character artists get their anatomy down then put clothes next, its more accurate and saves you a lot of trouble.

you might want to consider pressing "P" on your keyboard in zbrush to turn on perspective when showing it off, it makes it look more awkward without perspective on.

in the end id suggest you start over and make a solid semi formed body and put clothes on top.
  • jermaineb
    Offline / Send Message
    well dang i wish someone would have said something sooner when i first posted it. i shall definitely fix those things. I started by sculpting a base relative to a reference image then retopod- then mesh extracted to make the clothes.
    definitely thanks for the comment :P
  • jermaineb
    Offline / Send Message
    i broadened the shoulders a bit and made the hands and forarms slightly bigger. i havent posed him yet, but i was wondering any comments on textures and the model. I want to redo the face somehow, but idk exactly what i should do. and i was going to make the tunic a less plastic and more fabric based texture.
    arrange1.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    This is just me being picky about it. But usually link carries his shield on his back at a diagonal with his sword:

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20050722111242053_640w.jpg

And the face... well doesn't really give off that kind of look. He reminds me more of a random guy dressed as Link? I'm not sure how to explain it. Mainly the eyes bug me and the hair. The hair doesn't follow Link's normal part that he's had for a long time. Twilight Princess link was always my favorite in design, but it's a matter of preference really.

the_legend_of_zelda_twilight_princess.jpg

His hat also comes to a point really quick, which kind of seems odd.

And lastly, the arms seem kinda lanky for a guy who holds a shield and sword most of the time. Ha ha.

tumblr_m7s325W99A1rcqu9ao1_500.jpg

Edit: Also, I don't model people, so take my opinions how you will. I'm just a large fan of the Zelda series. Ha ha.
  • jermaineb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks i will definitely make some changes :P
    In reference to the hat. its probably clipping because of the shield, but i shall definitely make it more visible.
    I can definitely understand the face aspect. i figured its mostly the eye aspect that sales it, but im unsure exactly what to do. ill keep messing with it. like without the eyes it looks ok more or less.
  • jermaineb
    Offline / Send Message
    alright so heres round two trying to add to make it a tad better.
    arrange2.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    In my opinion that face is a billion times better now. Very nice. And I see you fixed the clipping in the hat. Also looks better.

Edit: Lol, so I dig this, so I'm going to keep making suggestions, not that you have to do any of it. I like his pouch on his leg. In your concept it was pretty large, and looked functional... however, once it hit the model, it looks too small to carry anything of real importance. Obviously Link carries around a lot of stuff. I almost wouldn't mind seeing more pouches on his belt and what not much like the Twilight Princess model. But that's just me!. I'm liking the progress on this.
  • jermaineb
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion that face is a billion times better now. Very nice. And I see you fixed the clipping in the hat. Also looks better.

Edit: Lol, so I dig this, so I'm going to keep making suggestions, not that you have to do any of it. I like his pouch on his leg. In your concept it was pretty large, and looked functional... however, once it hit the model, it looks too small to carry anything of real importance. Obviously Link carries around a lot of stuff. I almost wouldn't mind seeing more pouches on his belt and what not much like the Twilight Princess model. But that's just me!. I'm liking the progress on this.

cool. if you can think of anything to make it better id definitely like the input. I could add more larger functional pouches. like i wanted to have one of the back like i had in the concept and similar to how it on in tp, but i was worried about clipping. ill add some more like one ore two on the side then post the results. :P
  • jermaineb
    Offline / Send Message
    alright so here's with larger and more pouches.
    arrange3.jpg