Author : chriszuko

Old (#1)

(if you look closely, you'll note that I painted greentooth into that flowmap)

Updated 4 October:
v0.9.2 for Windows
v0.9.2 for OSX

http://teckartist.com/?page_id=107

[update_4_Oct]
I've added the ability to actually load flowmaps, so you can either pick up where you left off in your last session, or load up a simmed flowmap to tweak, for example. Tiling/wrapping option, too. A few more additions and fixes in the 0.9.2 update (October 4).
[/update]

So I've been working on a vertex painter for Unity for a while now, and at some point decided to add flowmap painting functionality to it. Then I realised that this would be pretty useful outside of just Unity, so I ported most of the code to work at runtime, and put together a rudimentary standalone build. I'm gonna keep updating/maintaining it, adding functionality as necessary, as well as fixing stuff that might be broken. Also, I'd like to make it such that the UI isn't as fuck-ugly as it is currently :p

A video of it as of last Friday:

I've since added [ugly] functionality to load your own tiling texture for preview, and also to load an overlay image (eg. an overhead shot of your terrain so you know how you want your flow to look like).

As a sidenote, this could probably be used to create maps for anisotropic specular, for example.

Have at it, and feel free to abuse the shit out of the feedback button to spam me with bug reports and suggestions!

Last edited by LoTekK; 10-03-2012 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Updated with new version
FlowMap Painter v0.9.2

teckArtist.com
LoTekK.com

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?" -DKK
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,396 Posts, Join Date Jan 2006, Location Singapore Send a message via MSN to LoTekK Send a message via Skype™ to LoTekK  

Old (#2)
oh wow! this is amazing! thanks for this excellent tool.
Sean Marino - Portfolio
Sledgehammer Games - Weapons/Vehicle Artist
[Tutorial] Tileable Textures
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,143 Posts, Join Date Apr 2007, Location Belmont, CA Send a message via Skype™ to Oniram  

Old (#3)
Oh god this is fantastic.

Is there any plan to include alternate brushes (like 'flow outwards' or 'flow inwards' or 'vortex') or anything?
Offline , triangle, 367 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010, Location Brisbane  

Old (#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Is there any plan to include alternate brushes (like 'flow outwards' or 'flow inwards' or 'vortex') or anything?
Yup! I've started getting the code ready for flow out/in (basically pinch/inflate). Vortex will take a bit of thinking, but should be doable. I'm also trying to implement a blur/blend brush.
FlowMap Painter v0.9.2

teckArtist.com
LoTekK.com

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?" -DKK
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,396 Posts, Join Date Jan 2006, Location Singapore Send a message via MSN to LoTekK Send a message via Skype™ to LoTekK  

Old (#5)
<3 <3 <3

This really is amazing man, thanks so much for sharing this with the community!
Portfolio of Carlos Montero
Project Lead: Black Mesa
Offline , triangle, 498 Posts, Join Date Nov 2005, Location Los Gatos, CA  

Old (#6)
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!

It would be interesting to see a third dimension applied to this. I cant even imagine how editing that would work. *head explodes*

Last edited by konstruct; 09-17-2012 at 03:39 AM..
molotov-

Konstruct|3D

SKETCH|BOOK (available for freelance)
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,035 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location three oh three.  

Old (#7)
konstruct, you mean as the plane that currently exists just rotated in a 3d space, or actual importing of the target geometry that you are generating the flowmap for? I think the later would be more trouble than it's worth, seeing as textures are normally painted from this perspective anyway, I don't think the rotated plane would help either.

This app looks awesome, and I can already think of ways I can use this. Im going to see if the textures can be used to generate anistropic highlight normals for hair...
Offline , vertex, 47 Posts, Join Date Sep 2010,  

Old (#8)
Awesome stuff Teck!
Technical Artist at Digital Extremes.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,093 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Toronto  

Old (#9)
brilliant work!
Offline , vertex, 28 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Australia  

Old (#10)
Holy cow! Awesome job LoTekK
Offline , spline, 102 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Denmark  

Old (#11)
Great job!
There's a very good chance that I experienced MORE problems, then all the internet put together in the area of 3D. Talk about being original for once...
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,763 Posts, Join Date Apr 2011, Location Canada  

Old (#12)
Very nice! Sounds like you've got good plans for features too! Thanks!

I had actually written up an article on a new method for creating flow maps in Photoshop (just needed to create screenshots), but now it seems kinda useless :P.
Will Fuller
portfolio - blog - twitter
Offline , triangle, 493 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Austin, TX Send a message via AIM to sinistergfx Send a message via MSN to sinistergfx Send a message via Yahoo to sinistergfx  

Old (#13)
Sweeeeeeeet!
Actively Looking for Work!

Portfolio: 3DRebar.com
Offline , polycounter, 847 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Montreal,Quebec Send a message via AIM to Gannon Send a message via MSN to Gannon  

Old (#14)
amazing! thanks for sharing!
Offline , polycounter, 821 Posts, Join Date Aug 2007, Location Kirkland, WA  

Old (#15)
I`m thinking like a flow volume. As opposed to a 2d flow map surface I`m not sure if the usage would be for a simple texture anymore though, but more so control of the movement of AI, or FX in a 3d space or something. I dunno I`m kind of thinking out loud. Pay no attention to the crazy guy in the corner.

Last edited by konstruct; 09-17-2012 at 11:19 AM..
molotov-

Konstruct|3D

SKETCH|BOOK (available for freelance)
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,035 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location three oh three.  

Old (#16)
Wow......fucking impressive.

Thank you.
My Portfolio - Portfolio
My favorite book - "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius
Offline , polygon, 653 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location San Francisco, CA Send a message via AIM to tristamus  

Old (#17)
Wow, your app, if you will pardon my french, blows every other flow editor out of the water. Or lava... eh, it's up to you...
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,707 Posts, Join Date May 2011, Location Minnesota, USA  

Old (#18)
Absolutely fantastic!
The option to have the flow field lines visible (while simple enough) is genius
Offline , polycounter, 873 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011, Location Brighton, UK  

Old (#19)
Wow awesome, I'll be using this a lot
John Valenti
3D Environment Artist @ Crytek USA
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,366 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#20)
Thanks for sharing. Will try it out soon.
Offline , spline, 214 Posts, Join Date May 2011, Location UK Send a message via Skype™ to Gheromo  

Old (#21)
Thanks for the kind words, folks!

I've done a bit of an update.
- fixed a bug with the overlay feature (it was broken)
- added a pinch/inflate brush, as well as a vortex brush
- added pan/zoom functionality
- version checker, too!
- I'm using a denser plane right now, since you can zoom in
- this unfortunately means the flow lines preview is a bit... slow

and its own page (since the version checker will direct you here if you're due for an update):
http://teckartist.com/?page_id=107

sinistergfx:
I'd actually be curious to see what you came up with. I love thinking up and seeing crazy approaches to impossible things

konstruct:
It's funny, actually, I'd started getting crazy ideas of using these to drive some sort of gameplay... directing particles or some such malarkey :p
FlowMap Painter v0.9.2

teckArtist.com
LoTekK.com

Old (#22)
Maybe an idea to have a customizable density? Make it scalable to low/high performance machines.
Geospheres rule, regular spheres drool!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,586 Posts, Join Date Jan 2008, Location the Netherlands (Europe)  

Old (#23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snader View Post
Maybe an idea to have a customizable density? Make it scalable to low/high performance machines.
Sometimes I miss the most obvious things. Thanks for that, I'll figure a good way to roll that into the next update
FlowMap Painter v0.9.2

teckArtist.com
LoTekK.com

Old (#24)
Awesome stuff, LoTekK.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,498 Posts, Join Date Dec 2007, Location Fremont, CA  

Old (#25)
Denser grid, zoom and the inflate brush work awesome.

This is insanely cool.

I'm curious as to how this works, is the painting already being done in 3d with brushes being projected from the camera and pushing around vertex normals? Could it support panning and rotating around the plane with the camera? It would be awesome to have the ability to import geometry with non square, unwrapped UV usage to paint on as well as background geometry to guide you.

Last edited by Computron; 09-20-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,707 Posts, Join Date May 2011, Location Minnesota, USA