Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Force Impulse Gundam

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
I was recently inspired by chrisundrum's Pokemon thread, so I picked this older project back up. Going for a stylized finished product, something along the lines of Crasher/Darksiders/(insert stylized game here).

I'm creating this in Max/Zbrush/Photoshop based on images of the Master Grade Kit. Currently I'm putting most of my effort into the shield; I want to get to the textures as soon as possible--not to rush it, but so I can start getting critique.

What it loos like in the show:
forceimpulse001.jpg

The Master Grade Kit:
ref1.jpg

My stuff so Far:
The torso:
impulsetorso.jpg

The shield.
impulseshield.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DirkJan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirkJan polycounter lvl 4
    Liking this so far! Keep it up.

Keep in mind that for normal map baking your edges should not be to sharp, else you wont see it so clearly on the normal map!

I've tried making Dynames once, but i dont have the kit so never really gotten that far. haha
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update:

impulsez.jpg

@DirkJan thanks, and I'll definitely keep that in mind. And I'm actually having a hard time with this one because I don't have the kit. I wanted to do one that would give me a little more challenge since I probably wont have a model for everything when I get a job.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    This re-seller provides images of the manuals for most of their kits. You can find some blueprinty stuff and get an idea of how the joints work.
    http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10069493

What style are you heading for? Cartoony like the series or something more realistic?
    Will you go for hipoly only or go for game format?
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    is this what youre using to sculpt? if so make sure your polys are evenly distributed so you can have even topology to sculpt. no long polys like you have now. if this is your game model then youre wasting a lot of polys by having ones in the middle like that, be sure to only use polys that you need for your silhouette, if there are ones that cross on a flat face, get rid of the vertex that they cross at and just have them meet at the vertices that are needed to create the silhouette.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's just a WIP. I will be sculpting this eventually, but right now I'm working on getting the forms down before I get the topology more even for sculpting. I'm going to add edge loops where it's needed later on, in case I have to make changes (it's a lot easier to make big changes with less verts).
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update. Again, just focusing on forms. Topology will come later.

wip3v.jpg
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I just realized I never replied to you AimBiZ. Thanks for the refs, I have a ton already, but there were a few on that site that will come in really handy. To answer your questions: the final model will be game res, low poly. I want to go for a look somewhere between the model and the anime; so the detail of the model kit, with a toony shader (I've been looking into making borderlands style shaders for UDK a lot lately)
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Update, I'm basically finished modeling the head of this guy. My plan now is to fully finish the head (uvs, textures, materials in UDK) to get the rest of my workflow right.

As always comments and crits more than welcome

impulseheadmodelcolor.jpg

impulseheadmodel.jpg

And since I can't get the sketchfab button to work on here, here's the direct URL="http://skfb.ly/5lk4j3h1db"]link[/URL

And one more quick note: the head is about 1600 tris right now, shooting for 20K for the full body (that's about the number of tris in a need for speed car, so I figure that's more than reasonable)