Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Toon-like female character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
Allright, I finished that character.

12k triangles, 2x (body+hair) 4k diff + spec + nor. Made with Blender and Photoshop. Fully rigged (including face).

Has a lot of bugs, but hey - it's my first character. Next one will be better for sure. :)

Oh, also I named her Ginger Jane.

ginger_jane_by_kmiklas-d5g6bn1.jpg

Replies

• JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    It is looking promising, shame you can't use zbrush though, it would make the clothes much better!

The ass looks a bit like an airbag, very weird hehe
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The torso looks way too long to me, even for a stylized character. I would scale the down on z like 50 percent. This would also make the legs look a lot longer which is typically what you go for in a female character like this. Arms could also be more angular, they are on an even curve going forward which makes it look like she is made of rubber or something. The detail work looks pretty cool though, keep at it!
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JV: thankya

@BradMyers82: moved belly and back a little bit up. Helped a lot, not sure if pushing it yet further will give a good effect.

bellyup.png

OK, pushed it yet more. I think it's good enough.

bellyup.png
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked today on maps. Fixed normals and started diffuse:

texwip.png
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    texwip.png

Current stage.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Link to Sketchfab:

https://sketchfab.com/show/mKD5DX8JbyMw8c3nY8xcfpwIsQT

You can see the model in realtime here. :)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Are those freckles? It's reading a little bit too strongly as dirt. The rest of it is looking good though! :)
    Would you mind also posting a wireframe?
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Tobbo about the freckles, I think on the face it looks fine, but the arms and body read more like dirt. Its looking good though keep at it.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wireframe is available in 3D preview on Sketchfab - on right there is EDIT panel and you can set wireframe, shadeless or plain model.

I will work on those freckles, since so far I was the only one that liked them :D
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    withfur.png

Reworked the face completely today. Left one is new, right one is old version.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice design.

I agree with the freckles looking like dirt, just reference some red heads they usually have freckles. Also the current freckles look like a texture map, you could just try a brush or hand paint in a few shouldn't take too long and might actually look better.
    Can slightly see some on her chest which is good, are you working with a reference image?

I liked the right face, or maybe it's just the angle of the shot making the difference.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you.

No, I dont use any specified reference. Just looking at some images if I need a general overview on some element.

Freckles (and all the textures) are actually hand painted with basic photoshop brushes. But I will work on them.

I got a very short deadline - it must be finished (at least model + maps) until next week. So I have about one and half a day. :) When I finish the basic version, then I will work on textures more, and maybe add some props to her outfit.

First face had a lot of anatomic bugs. Also, reminded me too much of Scarlett Johanson.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just made hair (only diffuse, no spec and normal yet). Obviously I am going to paint the hair on the head itself, under the hair model, too. Polycount is so far abour 12k.

Also, the model is subsurf (meshsmooth) friendly.

What is left to do, besides finishing hair: eyes, specular map, rig. And props, eventually - any ideas? :)

scoutwip.png
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    face.png

Some progress on eyes and surrounding area.

Wake up, polycounters.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hirespose.png

Almost finished. Need to clean up and adjust armature (skeleton) and set some pose nice for presentation. :)

Pity that so far almost no one had anything to say. :(
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I forgot to mention that I really like the texture of her shorts. I think you should strive to make the boots and the rest of the textures like that. I'm not sure what it is with the rest of the textures, they just seem to fall short of her shorts (pun not intended). The freckles look much better. I'm liking her new hair as well.

It's looking good. I would just try and keep on refining what you have now.
  • dickiegriffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dickiegriffin polycounter lvl 5
    really nice. although I thing the cloth wrincles on the front of her shirt look abit odd with them being mirrored
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I think its way better than when you started the thread, good progression, I like the style and the hair look good!
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice progress!:)
    I especially like the hair.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for comments! :D

@Tobbo - all the textures were meant to look the same (they are hand painted with simple brushes). Maybe the specular causes an effect, where they seem different.

@dickiegriffin - Yes, that's my mistake. I remembered to make the mapping for both sides but i forgot that HP model could be differentiated too to use it. :)

@Tits, @Callesw - thanks!

Here is a little progress on face. It moves with shape keys (morph targets). Also I applied subsurf (meshsmooth) x1 for render.

sup.png
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, I really like this:] esp. the last shot, it has a lot of character. Only I think the textures of the boots is bothering me for some reason. It feels a little too clean, new, and shiny, almost as if they haven't been textured yet. I think some fraying, wear, or dirt or something in a few places would make them look more believable. Otherwise, I think this character is super cool xD

The shorts texture is really kick-ass btw !
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Keep it up dude! This last update is really awesome!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Can we see a wireframe?
    How did you do the hair? looks real nice!
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again!

@Jessica: I will work yet on textures. So far I had to finish it quickly, because I wanted to send it with my job application (cross your fingers! :)).

@ParoXum: thanks!

@Tits: yeah, there are few shots below

It's not a finish yet. :)

scout_final_1.JPG

pose_aim.png
    scout_final_4b.JPG
    scout_final_4.JPG
    wire_2.JPGwire_1.JPG
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Wonderful model and textures. Fantastic work. But my goodness that silencer is so distracting. I find my eye dancing all around it and not at the quality of your work. In life, I've never seen a silencer that tried to stand out, but if you want to give it a bit of attention without being gut-punching extroverted, I'd make it just a bit lighter than the diffuse for your gun.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BringMeASunkist: Yeah, weapon is kinda weird, it took me 4 hours (strict deadline to make a quick presentation) to make it from scratch and I really had no idea how to make it more interesting but adding some unusual colours.

Finished the rig today and started learning how to animate a character! :D

Rig is not ideal, as well as animation. But hey, I didn't make any character in a very long time. And never really animated, so, don't be cruel (not that much :P).

(Also, forgive me the white outline - I spotted it just right now, when uploaded.)

walkcycle.gif
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    Great work on the model! Your animation needs work. I know you said you haven't really animated before, so here's a quick and dirty lesson.

*EDIT: Just took a look at you rig on the last page. You may want to consider giving her at least 1 more joint in her back to give a cleaner twist and bend. EDIT*

Okay, one thing to remember with animation, the hips are EVERYTHING. As far as I can tell, yours don't move except up and down.

They should rotate in the horizontal plane with each step, with the hip of the forward leg being forward as well. Counter rotate the shoulders so they go slightly past straight forward, then animate the neck rotation to keep her head straight. The hips also translate side to side during a walk. A good way to see this is to go into the front orthographic view at the point where the hips are directly over the the foot on the ground, and see if it looks like she could balance like that. You want to move the hips so they are more over the foot. With this type of character that is supposed to be super sexy, you might want to push this farther to give it that sexy hip swing.

The hips also rotate from side to side (like she is leaning left or right). This should be most pronounced when the hips are furthest out at the 'balance' points. Again,push this to get the hip swing. Then counter animate the shoulders so the shoulder and hips above the planted foot are closer than the other side. As before, you'll also have to animate the head to keep it straight up and down.

After writing all this down, I realize it probably would have been smarter to just do a search for a tutorial, but whateves. Just play around with it until you get it where you want it.

From there, just gives the arms some swing instead of having them immobile at the shoulder and your good!

Good luck! Looking forward to it!
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    This keeps getting better! Just an idea for her outfit.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    her hips are not moving at all, the arms should sway back and forth....
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    great work on the textures! her arms are too long in my opinion... they should reach just below her pockets. i'd say a palm shorter.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neverwander @Alberto Rdrgz - thanks for the feedback. I improved the walk a bit - at least I think so.
    @Kon Artist - it looks nice but I don't think it would fit her. :)
    @Aga - thanks! I checked arms lenght and they seem okay. Maybe it's a case of a perspective.

walk_front.gifwalk_high.gif
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Improved rig, and looped the whole animation. I think it's ok now.

Untitled1.gif
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    She looks... alien. Too skinny, arms are too long ( the wrist is below the crotch... ), she doesn't have hips, and the head looks too big...

Well, at least the face and hair don't look bad ^^. It's a good point.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell, I'd give her longer legs and strange proportions would work. If there is a purpose, rules can be broken. :)

molotov-cocktease-vs-bayonetta-8077.jpg
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Texelion wrote: »
    She looks... alien. Too skinny, arms are too long ( the wrist is below the crotch... ), she doesn't have hips, and the head looks too big...

Well, at least the face and hair don't look bad ^^. It's a good point.

I think that's kind of the point.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    thems some perky tits.
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, any suggestions how to fix proportions?

frontlook.png
    This is actual front view.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not an expert yet, but I did a lot of drawings so here is what you could do. But proportions are a strange thing, you can have strange proportions, like Bayonetta, and the character still looks great ( well for some people Bayonetta just looks wrong... ). The thing is, you have to determine the look you want to give and then adapt the proportions.

I said that the arms are too long... well maybe the chest or belly are too short instead if you want to do a tall girl...

So here is what I did :

frontlook.jpg

- the arms are too long ( the elbow should come near the waist and the wrists near the crotch ) OR the torso is too short BUT if you make a longer torso you will need to longer the legs too.
    - think that the Femur is the longest bone of the body, the legs can't be longer than the thighs... here you can see that leg + foot = thigh : 310px-Human_skeleton_back_en.svg.png
    - the nipples should be slightly outwards
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I took your suggestions and fixed as best as I could.
    front_2.png
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • yannage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9