Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pro Bender (ala Legend of Korra)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
klamp polycounter lvl 14
***LATEST PROGRESS***

Colors!

44YH2uv.jpg

Hey everyone! I've been lurking here for a long time, thoroughly enjoying all the amazing art I've seen. This is my first thread I've ever made myself, so hopefully it'll be up to par.

Anyway, I've been working on a little side project lately and I thought I'd start posting my progress here. My current project at work has me mostly doing UI, but I've always enjoyed making characters so I wanted to give myself something to play around with in my spare time. I've been totally diggin' Legend of Korra, and I thought it would be fun to make a team of pro benders.

For reference (for anyone unfamiliar with LoK):

legend-of-korra-launch-pro-bending-clip.jpg?format=jpeg&matteColor=white

Pro-bending-Fire-Ferrets.png

678335.jpg

I just really like the uniforms and thought they have a nice mixture of hard surface and organic surfaces. Anyway, here's where I started:

GrVqn.jpg

I decided to start with the earth bender. I wanted to make him a pretty bulky dude - based on realistic proportions, but with some stylization here and there - but I didn't want to go over the top with his muscles. I just want him to look sturdy. That being the case, he definitely has a fair amount of muscle mass, but I didn't want to make the muscles super sharp in their definition, nor make them overly inflated.

As a side note, normally, if I was doing this for a project at work and was on time constraints, I would streamline the process and not make any geometry that you really wouldn't see as part of the final mesh. Since this is just for fun, exploration and learning, however, I decided to start from the ground up and build the base body underneath the clothing.

I've also been trying out some new techniques I've never used before, such as blocking out the form piece-by-piece using dynamesh. It's a lot of fun so far, though there are parts about it I wish were easier to manage.

ICmYC.jpg

Tmj09.jpg

Here I've refined the body, separated out the head, and have started to block out some of the clothing and equipment. You can also see a bit of the process I was talking about before with adding parts on using dynamesh. The legs and hands, once more detail has been added, will be combined with the rest of the body.

Obviously I still have a lot more to do, so I'll continue to post here when I have more stuff to show. Feedback/comments/crits are more than welcome, so feel free to chime in if you'd like!

Thanks, and hope you guys enjoy!

P.S. - Sorry this was so wordy! I promise the rest of the posts won't be so verbose.

Replies

• AsherOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. it would be cool to see action shots of it when it's more final.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks! And I definitely have plans to do some action poses once he (and the other benders) are finished. I also have a couple of animator friends that might be willing to rig these guys up and animate them.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Haven't had a lot of time to put towards this, but I wanted to post a quick update with a few more changes.

Added some more details to the helmet, and I'm beginning to work on the gloves. I also finished the legs and added them to the torso (granted, when he's all clothed and everything you won't see the legs, so I didn't go too crazy with the detail).

2tDuP.jpg

3AVqj.jpg

In the next update I'll start blocking out the outer uniform clothing.

Oh, and of course, critiques welcome!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Another quick update. Started blocking in the outer clothing, including the pants and knee pads.

icI8S.jpg

After a few more tweaks and details, I'll be moving on to blocking in the shirt/tunic thing.

Comments/crits welcome!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    More progress:

ss4Bh.jpg

I've only just blocked in the shirt. Still has a lot of work to be done on it - there are no folds, and has no gravity/weight to it at the moment. Also added leg pads and will be adding similar pads to the shoulders and forearms.

Comments/critique welcome!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    The only thing that stands out to me is that the pro-benders in korra all seemed to be in their late teens, early 20s, but this guy seems to be more middle-aged. Not necessarily a problem, but he would look out of place in a match against the main characters of the show.
  • Shmaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It'll be pretty cool to see how this turns out. The age isn't an issue with me, in fact I think I remember the first probender we see in the show is actually a pretty old guy who never shows up again. Right now the biggest thing that stands out to me is the proportions. The chest is too long for the rest of the body. Just push his groin area up like so.
    1247iu1.jpg
    photobending powers go!
  • MiragentGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiragentGames polycounter lvl 5
    I think my only comment is that the model doesnt feel very stylized. It just seems like another anatomy model with a few articles of clothing. Though it is a work in progress, that is what I see so far. It is a very nice model, but it should fit into the style of The Legend of Korra(I love that show, btw).
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    @dirigible & MiragentGames: Yeah, I definitely deviated from the benders on the show by making this guy a little bit older. I wanted to make a team of benders, but do them in a more mature, realistic style. That being said, I love the art style of the show. I might add a bit more stylization when I'm done blocking in and working on polish.

@Shmaba - That does look better with the waist hoisted up. I was trying to lower the crotch line of the pants, since a lot of martial arts pants are made like that to allow for more mobility, but it definitely came off looking like hips were super low, too. I'll try moving the crotch up for the next update.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Whew, had to put this down for a hot minute to work on some other projects. Back with some more updates, though:

9B4Pd.jpg

Along with the obvious addition of the outer tunic-like thing, I also raised the crotch a fair amount and added some wrinkles to the undershirt. I still consider this the blockout stage, so more wrinkles and other details will surely come later.

Also, a shot of the latest iteration, sans tunic:

qdjPf.jpg

As always, critiques very welcome!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    After a huge break from this project, I've decided to revisit it since a friend of mine has been putting together an awesome animation sequence involving benders.

My progress so far...

xRbla86.jpg

914TY6N.jpg

Obviously I've changed a lot. There were lots of things bothering me about the old version, and I also decided I wanted to take a much more stylized approach. I like stylized stuff, and want to get better at it, so why not practice?

At any rate, you can see I still have plenty of work to do. I figured this would be a great time to do a gut-check and make some course corrections. I feel like it's generally on the right path, but I really need some other eyes taking an objective look at it and letting me know what I can do to make this better.

Any thoughts? Any and all feedback would be super helpful! Thanks!
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    While you didn't have an issue with the age the character looking younger does make a difference, easier to imagine it being a part of the show and their world. The new characters is cool and, if that is your earth bender, he still has a great blocky rough look.

One thing though, aside from the shoes of the show looking like hooves to me, the ankles on your character look very much like that of a hoofed animal. The foot area in general looks a bit think.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    While the stylization of the proportion is really nice it doesn't fit the style of the Legend of Korra at all. If it wasn't written in the thread title I would have never guessed it was based on that show =/

So what is your goal for this character? Do you want it to fit in the world of Avatar or just make a nice stylized character dressed like a pro bender?
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the feedback, guys!

@jddg5wa: I'd say I didn't have a problem with how old the character looked before, but coming back to it I noticed what everyone else had and decided to make him look younger. I agree that I think it helped a lot. I'll add some more thickness to his ankle area. Is it just the thickness that makes them look hoof-like? Or is there something else I should change, too?

@Popol: I guess I should've been more clear with the title of the thread. When I said "ala Legend of Korra", I simply meant the character would be a pro bender - which is a type of character from the show, though not necessarily in the style of the animation. That was my mistake with the naming. Sorry! My goals for this character are to make him stylized, interesting to look at, animation friendly, and to have him dressed (and eventually act, in the animation) like a pro bender.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Another small update:

OKcqa7T.jpg

Haven't made the ankles thicker yet, though. Still need to do that.

Any feedback on this? As I'm looking at it now, it seems like his arms are too long, so I'll change that for the next update. If anyone else sees problem areas, please shout them out.

Thanks!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I think everything from the waist up looks great! The legs are throwing the model off in my opinion. I think the feet should be much bigger to be honest. The way that the tiny foot thing works, but I think your thighs and hip placement are making it look weird. Try thickening the thighs, tapering in the knee bludge, and raising the waist line. Also I think you spread the legs apart weird. Here is a quick liquefy to show you.

6aytiqK.jpg
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    @stevston89: Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I like the changes you made. I'll include those in the next update.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    More progress work:

0u9uM7b.jpg

Still to do:
    • Work on ankles/feet
    • Shoulder pads
    • Elbow pads
    • Gloves
    • Boot details
    • Hair

As usual, any and all critique is extremely welcome and encouraged. Feedback has been really helpful so far, and I'm sure more feedback would continue to improve the model. So let me know if you see anything I should fix!

Thanks!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Current progress:

BiVFBn7.jpg

Checked a couple things off the to-do list:
    • Work on ankles/feet (In progress)
    • Shoulder pads (Done!)
    • Elbow pads (Done!)
    • Gloves (In progress)
    • Boot details
    • Hair
  • Fenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    Looks awesome. Only a couple of suggestions.
    I would like to see the helmet and helmet padding a lot tighter on the face. Right now it looks stiff and like he picked it up from a big guy.
    The only other suggestion on the head portion is in regards to the nose. I would mess around with the height of the tip of the nose. Personally, I think it should be lower.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    @Fenn - Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I'll fix the helmet for sure. I'm on the fence about the nose placement, but I'll try it lower and see how it looks. Thanks again!!
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Hey klamp, this looks quite nice so far. One thing that kinda bugs me about the design is that the padding doesn't seem attached to the underlying clothing if you know what I mean. I feel like if there were straps or something holding them on it would look more plausible. I know the original source doesn't have them but it's something to think about I guess.

Also the pants seem a little blobby. Maybe some sharper creases in the fabric there?
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    @billymcguffin - Yeah, I see where you're coming from on the padding. I like the design used in the show, though, so I'm not sure if I'm going to change that. Good call with the pants, though. They definitely need to be de-blobbified. Thanks for the feedback!!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    More progress:

nb5ZEV2.jpg

Tried to make the pants less blobby, thickened up the feet, and fit the helmet more snugly to his head. Also added more detail to the arm pads, added shin pads, and tweaked the proportions a bit.

Still need to add details to the shin straps, sculpt folds in the right forearm, and add gloves. Oh, and hair, of course.

Thoughts??

As usual, thanks to anyone checking this out and/or leaving feedback. Much appreciated!!
  • enoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enoki polycounter lvl 4
    This is turning out really nicely! A lot more interesting and more personality in this one than the original design.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    enoki wrote: »
    This is turning out really nicely! A lot more interesting and more personality in this one than the original design.

Thanks!! Glad you like it. :D
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool, I just started watching the show the other day and was thinking about making Korra in 3D as my first character (since she's quite a simple design). Pretty inspiring stuff. ^_^
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    MattyWS wrote: »
    Very cool, I just started watching the show the other day and was thinking about making Korra in 3D as my first character (since she's quite a simple design). Pretty inspiring stuff. ^_^

Thanks! And yeah dude, you should totally make a Korra model. I bet it would be good practice, and a lot of fun to work on.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Done with all the sculpting!

MnfUPys.jpg

...except the hair. Awesome people of Polycount, I need your help. I've done some paintovers of hair ideas:

d5VZp49.jpg

Which one do you guys like? "None of the above" is also an option. If that's the case, I'd love suggestions, too. I know a lot of the styles in Legend of Korra are influenced by the early 1900's, and I'm cool with that, but I'm open to other ideas as well if it means it would look better.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Hm, I think hairstyles have a lot to do with someones personality...
    I personally like 1, 4 and 5 since they give him some sort of an arrogant and snobby appearance.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I agree the hairstyle depends on the personality your are going for but I like number 2, 5, and 6 (in that order). It's looking cool, keep it up.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys!
  • PaperTig3rs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    I really enjoy hair style #1. In my opinion it works really well with the hard jaw line :) 4 and 5 are also good
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    I really enjoy hair style #1. In my opinion it works really well with the hard jaw line :) 4 and 5 are also good

Thanks for the feedback!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    I'm still waiting a bit longer to see if I can gather more feedback on the hair before moving forward - thanks for the feedback so far! - but in the meantime I thought you guys might enjoy checking this out:

Korra Blocking Test

This is the animation my friend has been working on that I'm making this model for. He's currently in the blocking stage and fixing a few things before he moves further.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    1, 3 , and 5 are my favorites. They fit the time period the best. Animation test looks cool!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    stevston89 wrote: »
    1, 3 , and 5 are my favorites. They fit the time period the best. Animation test looks cool!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Seems like, based on the feedback I've received here on Polycount and in talking with friends, options 4 and 5 are the most popular. Between the two, I've decided to move forward with #5.

I'll continue to post progress on this as I work on it. Thanks again, everyone!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Just finished exporting all the high poly parts and retopologizing them. The resulting mesh sits at about 10.5k tris:

RaWWG14.jpg

Moving on to unwrapping next so I can then bake all my maps from the high rez model.
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey klamp, looking pretty good. I'd say you could probably get rid of a few polys in the waistband dangling parts, and perhaps in the shoes and fingers as well.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Hey klamp, looking pretty good. I'd say you could probably get rid of a few polys in the waistband dangling parts, and perhaps in the shoes and fingers as well.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Where specifically in the fingers do you think the polys should be cut?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I don't think you really need to cut back the tri count anymore than it already is. Especially not in joint areas. I would just keep it as is.
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the joints I was just thinking about this: http://www.pig-brain.com/tutorials/tut02-02/

It might be kinda old though and I'm no pro rigger/animator.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    @billy - Fair enough, though I think that's for really low poly assets. I can afford some extra polys in this guy, so I don't need to worry as much about using techniques like those to retain volume.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    this is looking great! really love this stylized ver. Are you thinking of creating all 4 different elemental benders? would be great to see all of them together. Each with its own personality. Like TEAM AVATARRRR!!! =D
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Iciban wrote: »
    this is looking great! really love this stylized ver. Are you thinking of creating all 4 different elemental benders? would be great to see all of them together. Each with its own personality. Like TEAM AVATARRRR!!! =D

Thank you!! Really glad you like it.

And yeah, the original intent was to make a whole bending team. I've been doing this in my spare time, though, so I guess it all depends on if I still have the time/motivation. Haha. We'll see!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Finished baking the AO and normal maps:

aoNorm_4_15_2014.jpg

Getting into the home stretch. Still have a couple things to fix about the AO bake, but I can handle that at the same time I'm working on the diffuse texture. Onward and upward!
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Been throwin' down some colors on this bad boy:

44YH2uv.jpg

This render has diffuse (and AO) and normal maps, and is just using default lighting. At this point I'm trying to figure out which direction I want to lean towards with the texture - realistic or stylized - and how far in that direction I want to go.

I think I'll probably start on the spec map before I make any hard decisions.

What do you guys think about this so far? Is there stuff I should change?