Old (#1)
Hey, I've been making an environment in UDK like almost everyone on here, and I'd like some opinions if you don't mind. It's getting there, but it's still a bit empty.

I wanted to do something inspired by contemporary architecture, so I'm creating a lobby environment for some anonymous business firm.

This is the conference room window that overlooks the place on the other side of the lobby.

Right now it's just a placeholder mesh, but I'm going for an angular, geometric style like so:

Lighting has been a pain, so I left everything a stark white for now (which I may keep). I'm going to post any new props here, since some of them are still first-pass stuff.
Offline , vertex, 43 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012, Location California, USA  

Old (#2)
I actually like the white lighting. If you keep the white light, I'd try to incorporate some more color into the scene with props or decals. I like the first shot because of the blue windows, so maybe some colored decals displaying the floor numbers or something like that.

I'd also like to see some prop/texture sheets too. Are these a bunch of separate modular pieces?
brianleleux.com
Currently looking for work
Offline , polycounter, 797 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012, Location Richmond, VA  

Old (#3)
This is awesome - I always liked this type of architecture-
www.euclidius.com | euclidius.cghub.com
environment artist
Offline , line, 72 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location Bay Area California  

Old (#4)
Agree, this is looking great. I'm currently working on something similar to this but more on the sci-fi side.

Structurally you could add in support beams, frames, stuff like that.
Also I'm sure you've noticed that in the first and second shot the greenery fits in well, so put in more pot plants, vines, trees etc to give it the whole 'green energy' feel.

Keep it up!
Offline , triangle, 419 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012,  

Old (#5)
euclidius - If you aren't familiar with it, I really recommend you check out archdaily.com. It's an amazing site if you enjoy architecture in that style.

danpaz3d - You're right, I was thinking how I could incorporate more greenery somehow.

leleuxart - Yeah I think I'll keep the light mostly white, and try to add color elsewhere like you said. Most of the walls are just generic panels with different textures at the moment. Here's a closer shot:

Most of the props are old models from an unfinished scene (except the spotlights) so I'm going to redo as many as I can, starting with the fire extinguisher. Here's a quick render for now.

Old (#6)

956 tris, 512 textures

902 tris, 512 textures

I could probably take a few more polys off by deleting more backfaces, but I'll leave it for now. Maybe I should have used a 12-sided cylinder for the bottle... might change that if it continues to irk me.

I'm making a security camera next, hi-poly soon.

Old (#7)
hey thanks jd- really nice architecture site, I got a new site to go to now thanks- on a side note- can't wait when you finish your building- ;]
www.euclidius.com | euclidius.cghub.com
environment artist
Offline , line, 72 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location Bay Area California  

Old (#8)

Hi-poly for the security cam. After I bake and texture this I'm gonna work on some smaller stuff that isn't as time consuming and move things along.

Old (#9)

804 tris, 512 textures

I left a few polygons in there so I could rotate it around a bit. Next I'm gonna see if I can make some interesting decals/patterns to add more color.

Old (#10)
In the top lobby shots, even if you want to go with more white light, the skylights present outdoor lighting, which depending on the day would give you some more color in the lighting. This example http://static2.evermotion.org/files/...264ffe0673.jpg shows a more blue falloff to the lighting which, IMO, I think is a little more interesting. Maybe some more bloom and better shadows in those areas would look nice too.
Offline , spline, 177 Posts, Join Date Jan 2007, Location PA - USA  

Old (#11)
Quickel - I definitely hear what you're saying. I ended up using plain white lights out of frustration that I couldn't capture a look along those lines. My only concern is to avoid the typical 'unreal look' with this scene, which is bloom heavy IMO.

I'll try to re-light the scene a few more times before I finish with it - I just hate waiting ~10 minutes every time I tweak a value.

I've been unhappy with the graphic decals I made in the last couple days, so I ended up switching back over to modeling to stay productive. I made the angular wall element with an office. I'm going to populate the offices as well, but I'm going to leave that for last since it won't be noticed as much.

Old (#12)
Reminds me of Mirrors Edge (which is a good thing)... but cooler.
My art stuff: portfolio
Offline , spline, 223 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012, Location SLC, UT  

Old (#13)
Kon Artist - Thanks, I really loved Mirror's Edge. I really hope more games take inspiration from architecture... which is partially why I wanted to make this.

Update: Added some elevators! I created a logo/identity for my fake company, which is partially visible here. The ivy here is still WIP.

Still need to finish texturing the buttons. The double-doors and the automatic door are older assets that I may re-do, but they are decent placeholders.

The elevator entrance is on the underside of the angular edifice thing. I put some spotlights on it to make it a bit more 'dramatic', hopefully. It would be more interesting with night-time lighting, though.

Old (#14)
I love the lighting and overall style. Definitely getting the Mirrors Edge feel, without the overexposed whites everywhere
brianleleux.com
Currently looking for work
Offline , polycounter, 797 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012, Location Richmond, VA  

Old (#15)
It does feel flat though, and in reality there is very little true white light sources, but that's fine, I still feel that the spec and all that is not showing, it feels like it's all diffuse atm.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,790 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Secret Places  

Old (#16)
Could use some more color, like red and some nice radiosity lightbounces. Also missing cast shadows and Ambient occlusion.
Offline , line, 91 Posts, Join Date Feb 2008,  

Old (#17)
Shiskebab - Yeah, I forgot I turned off ambient occlusion. It's difficult to control and can produce random blotches here and there, but I'm gonna turn it back on and see if I can do something with it.

AlexCatMasterSupreme - I know what you mean about the flat feeling. I have a white-on-white look so far so it's tough to get the specular to pop without turning matte surfaces like concrete into some kind of plastic. I think I will have to use lights more sparingly and make them stronger in order to get some contrast going.

Here's some new stuff:

Decals for the little conference rooms.

I sculpted a leaf and spent a lot of time tweaking the material and looking at the UDK content, only to end up using a pretty basic setup. It's setup for vertex color painting, but I haven't touched it since I wasted a lot of time baking and re-baking to lights. It's tough to light foliage properly.

Here's a small-ish open office area I added. The chairs + desks will be re-done (don't think the chair would be structurally sound anyway).

I'm gonna be making mostly furniture and decorative stuff from here on out. Maybe I'll even finish!

Old (#18)
No crits, just want to say this is awesome. Defintely getting a Deus Ex / Mirrors edge vibe (The wooden triangular piece screams DX3 whereas the office with the PC's screams DX1 (versalife). All you need now is watercoolers :P
Offline , polycounter, 1,116 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012, Location Australia Send a message via Skype™ to Bek  

Old (#19)
Sorry, I'm starting to slip with the updates. I was wrapped up re-making my website last week.

Bek - Cool, I loved the original DX. I have DX:HR, but I only played a little bit of it so far. A lot of the environments are great, but it's just so... orange. Heh.

I finished the hi-poly for the office chairs. Later today I'll try to finish a conference table if I have time.

Old (#20)
VERY solid work man, keep it up.
My Portfolio - Portfolio
My favorite book - "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius
Offline , polygon, 666 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location San Francisco, CA Send a message via AIM to tristamus  

Old (#21)
tristamus - Thanks, I appreciate it

The finished office chair is ~3200 triangles - maybe a little high. You can see areas where I could have optimized some more, but I left the extra geo in.

I'm finding that vertex lit models often times end up looking better for "clean" textures than lightmaps since it's not so blotchy, so it can be worth having the extra polygons. Kind of frustrating that I wasted a lot of time making lightmap UVs for everything, though.

I'm trying to populate the small office area now. The desks don't have a proper texture yet.

Old (#22)
Love what you have going on. But I feel like you can do more to the textures. Everything is super clean and that's weird to me. The floor materials can be more reflective like this
http://www.mech.hku.hk/bse/mech3023/...kooplace02.jpg
The open area office is pretty empty. I think you can add something like file cabinets or picture frames.
Offline , line, 88 Posts, Join Date May 2012, Location Bellevue, WA  

Old (#23)
Man the longer I take between updates, the more I feel like I need to show, which leads me to not updating again.

nedwork - I took your advice and added a stronger cubemap. I haven't touched it up yet though, so it's jaggy. I also added some more office stuff. I agree the textures could use a little more work, since they are mostly just AO. I'm going to devote my last bit of polishing to the textures for sure.

Here's what the office looks like now. There's some obvious lightmap seams on the ceiling/floor because I'm just using modular pieces at the moment.

I'm going to make some trash bins, some kinda painting/wall art, then finish the markerboard. Outside on the lower level, I think I'll make a bench and then I'll be done with all the models.

I made the lighting in the lobby area darker overall. I tried to create some more contrast by using a blue skylight and using a warmer color for the spotlights.

It's not the sterile white I initially imagined, but maybe it's more interesting in a way.

Old (#24)

~1700 tris

Textures still not terribly exciting, but it's also just a markerboard. I promise to make a second pass at some of the textures!

Gonna make a "living" art frame like this and a trash bin next.

Old (#25)
Very very nice Fun to see these piece progress!
Jason Lavoie
Ubisoft Toronto - Modeller
Linkedin | The Game Dev Cast | Enviro Wiki
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,513 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Toronto, Ontario