Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M37 Shotgun Model

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
I made this over the weekend, yes I am aware that there is a tutorial on how to make M37 shotgun, but this was entirely on my own, using different techniques from what the tutorial did, I just thought making my own version would be cool thing to do. :)

M37PortFolioImage.jpg

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    17797 Polys seems like a like bit too excessive for this model.

The wood looks a little too clean at the moment also.
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    Too much poly's and your textures all look like procedurals.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Is that the low poly or high poly?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low wrote: »
    Too much poly's and your textures all look like procedurals.
    yup 17, 000 up, I know it's pretty high, but games, like gears of wars has had more than that, some of their models had up to 30 000 or more. As long as the engine can take it, it should be fine, I guess the only downside, is more memory is required. :icon60:
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    ^this does not make any sense, and post wires.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    This model is not 'fine'.

It doesn't need near that many polygons because it's a rather simple shape. Don't make excuses. Anything you waste 'because the engine can handle it' takes resources away from other parts that could have been improved, such as other models, shader complexity, physics, render distance, or just a smoother framerate.

Waste is waste, no matter the hardware specs.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    I also did a M37 Shotgun the past few days, from the tutorial I think you're talking about.. My model is:
    4,132 Tris
    2,198 Verts

17,000 is way too much for a game. Did you not bake out a normal map from the high-poly and optimize that down to a low-poly?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also did a M37 Shotgun the past few days, from the tutorial I think you're talking about.. My model is:
    4,132 Tris
    2,198 Verts

17,000 is way too much for a game. Did you not bake out a normal map from the high-poly and optimize that down to a low-poly?

I never made a normal map for this, I only used a diffuse for this render
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    This model is not 'fine'.

It doesn't need near that many polygons because it's a rather simple shape. Don't make excuses. Anything you waste 'because the engine can handle it' takes resources away from other parts that could have been improved, such as other models, shader complexity, physics, render distance, or just a smoother framerate.

Waste is waste, no matter the hardware specs.
    You have a point, I am going to try and optimize it better tonight
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I managed to get the model down to 8000 polys, I am work on the new textures ATM, I shall have new renders soon
  • Reale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    There is a reason why tutorials are out there... so you follow and learn from them - not to look at them and do the opposite.

why dont you see if you can follow the tutorial first and get the same result and then do something on your own after...

all in all, I would suggest you should watch the tutorial as you personally would benefit massively from it.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I have updated my model, I have optimized it more, as well I have done a total re-texture of the weapon
    M37-PortFolio-Image.jpg
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Could you post wireframes too.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon wrote: »
    Could you post wireframes too.

Yup
  • Wentzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Spiffy664
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    the texturing and shading gives it a very flat look, not a lot of value shifts throughout. If you want realistic style, look at a lot of photographs of both guns and things simply made of metals. Observe where they get worn, damaged, scraped, etc. If you want the gun to have a hand painted style, reference other hand painted texture sheets and paintings of things that are metal / wood / etc. (a lot of fine examples here on polycount).

Also, as people noted, 17,000 is absurd for a rather simple gun :D a lot of the smaller details like rivets belong in a normal map, 8000 is better but still high with the current level of detail.

keep it up, looks good so far.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 wrote: »
    the texturing and shading gives it a very flat look, not a lot of value shifts throughout. If you want realistic style, look at a lot of photographs of both guns and things simply made of metals. Observe where they get worn, damaged, scraped, etc. If you want the gun to have a hand painted style, reference other hand painted texture sheets and paintings of things that are metal / wood / etc. (a lot of fine examples here on polycount).

Also, as people noted, 17,000 is absurd for a rather simple gun :D a lot of the smaller details like rivets belong in a normal map, 8000 is better but still high with the current level of detail.

keep it up, looks good so far.

I know, thanks for the advice as well
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are Wires for the model

M37Wires2.jpg

M37Wires.jpg

Wires3.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Rule of thumb (mine anyway): When you delete an edge on the low-poly, and it doesn't break the silhouette - delete it. There a tons of those on the back.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Ahh, I understand now why your model is so dense: it's divided into quads. Optimize it into tris, as that's what game engines typically use (included the Gears of War engine you referenced earlier) and that polycount could be a lot better.

Also, I think the strongest part of the tutorial everyone's talking about is the texturing. Pay special attention to that. Aside from the dense polycount, you have a fine model. Why not make it something special?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, I understand now why your model is so dense: it's divided into quads. Optimize it into tris, as that's what game engines typically use (included the Gears of War engine you referenced earlier) and that polycount could be a lot better.

Also, I think the strongest part of the tutorial everyone's talking about is the texturing. Pay special attention to that. Aside from the dense polycount, you have a fine model. Why not make it something special?
    true
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Use Meshlab for optimising it turns it into quads and dosnt lose the shape and also its free
    http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Meshlab? For this? It's better that he sticks to the app he's learning and learns how to optimize by hand, because that's what's expected.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Meshlab? For this? It's better that he sticks to the app he's learning and learns how to optimize by hand, because that's what's expected.

This:thumbup:
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »

I agree with you there, i am aware there are programs for optimization, but learning how to optimize by hand is important. I would only probably use something like mesh lab on something with a dense amount of polys like Zbrush models.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, I think that at these low tricounts running things through meshlab wouldn't do you any favors.

Your mesh looks okay to me - You can still delete quite a lot of loops on the stock and your barrel as well as the 'pump' grip are veeery round. But that's a matter of preference.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Yes, I think that at these low tricounts running things through meshlab wouldn't do you any favors.

Your mesh looks okay to me - You can still delete quite a lot of loops on the stock and your barrel as well as the 'pump' grip are veeery round. But that's a matter of preference.

I can see you mean about the pump.