Home Technical Talk

Tips for Baking Textures Inside Mouth

So I am making an animal that will need some detail inside of it's mouth.

I guess normally I would just sculpt it with it's mouth open and call it a day. However the animator/rigger requested that I give it to him with the mouth closed. Do you guys think I should still bake it with it's mouth open and just close the lowpoly mouth when I am done? Wont that cause some noticeable texture stretching?

In general how do you guys handle texture bakes for the inside of the mouth? Animal or non animal?

I tried a couple tests with open/closed mouths on Zbrush layers and re-importing new topo with UVs but the sculpting transfer kills the layers.

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    could just morph it closed for the animators benefit ie bake it open , then close it at the end
  • cdizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not very knowledgeable with this kind of work, but would it be possible to bake the mouth interior using an open mouthed pose, then bake the exterior of the animal with the closed mouth pose, and then stitch the maps in Photoshop?

Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion, or the same thing as mentioned above, but I'd like to know the answer. Cheers!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    I wonder what people who don't know 3D would think if they saw a topic title like this.

LOL! That is awesome.

I'm not very knowledgeable with this kind of work, but would it be possible to bake the mouth interior using an open mouthed pose, then bake the exterior of the animal with the closed mouth pose, and then stitch the maps in Photoshop?

Ya know that is not a bad idea. I was thinking about it the opposite way. But I guess I could UV it with the mouth closed and open it. Then bake it twice. Once with the mouth open and then once with it closed.

I still wish it wasn't such a pain.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    A couple of way:

-Match the ID's of mesh to it's high poly counter part, this way you avoid any kind of overlap.

-If the ID's route is not possible, explode the mouth, bake your AO, Normals, etc. Then bake again with everything inside, don't care if there is any overlap, just do it.
    -Now you have 2 bakes, one fully occluded bake with a closed mouth, the second is exploded, Mix or manage the both.

-Personal favorite: Bake AO in mouth, Bake Cavity outside, combine the two.