Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

S&W 327 TR8 and more work

Andyk125
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
Hi Guys,

First thread I'm making to show some of the stuff I made and to get some reaction and comments for improving. I never had any education or something I just picked everything up for fun, mainly because of modding for games :)

This is the first model I made with a high poly model, baking normal maps, UV

Replies

• Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to attach the high poly version for you guys, and I also added some more things :)

ALh00.jpg

8hZLT.jpg

pkMRn.jpg

0sxea.jpg

qm6PK.jpg

Y2JPy.jpg

WGMKP.jpg

Last but not least, one of my other latest projects..

kEMbB.jpg
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Good high poly works! This from your head, or have much reference?
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    This looks really good dude! would you mind posting the wires for the revolver? i always have trouble making complex geo like that
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF wrote: »
    Good high poly works! This from your head, or have much reference?

Thanks! For most parts I used multiple foto references, If there is one thing I learned is that references are really important especially for getting the scale of parts correctly.
    maxivz wrote: »
    This looks really good dude! would you mind posting the wires for the revolver? i always have trouble making complex geo like that

You want to see the wires of the high poly model? I'm currently at my work but if I get back home I will make some wires for you. If your modeling complex high poly obects, the most important thing is that you shouldn't make the obects to complex, but use more parts instead.

I'm a Engineer for profession, so if i just have a assembled picture, I can easily see wich parts are made individually and most of the time I will model them separate.

The low poly model is 5800 tri's by the way, that's without the flashlight.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looks nice! Maybe the first S&W revolver needs some love texture and shading wise. I get the feeling that the normalmap is inverted somewhere. You bake from max? Just remember that Toolbag uses Maya standard as default. You can try to switch Y in Toolbag, there's a tab.

I think the texture needs some color and something more to look at. I'm not entirely sold by the materials neither. Racer445 made a tutorial on the whole process of making interesting metal, you should check it :)

Keep it up!
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I only made a wire from the smoothed version, because otherwise I needed to remove all the smooth modifiers from all parts.. Hope it can help you out with certain things..

3tJii.jpg
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Looks nice! Maybe the first S&W revolver needs some love texture and shading wise. I get the feeling that the normalmap is inverted somewhere. You bake from max? Just remember that Toolbag uses Maya standard as default. You can try to switch Y in Toolbag, there's a tab.

I think the texture needs some color and something more to look at. I'm not entirely sold by the materials neither. Racer445 made a tutorial on the whole process of making interesting metal, you should check it :)

Keep it up!

Thanks! you're right the revolver still needs some work. I'm currently busy making and UV
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys, I finially got some small updates, I've Uv'ed the scope, bake the normals and started a simple texture. Still have a lot of work texturing but I'm not the best in that so it will probbaly take some time..

Let me know what you guys think!

Also can someone tell me a good tutorial on making realistic scratches?

PgE0y.jpg
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty much just use real photo overlays to make it look legit, going around all the edges with a 1px brush just looks fake. Honestly I would kill that scratch layer and rethink it, using to use photo overlays in the most highly used/worn areas on the weapon. I think it might be worth leaving the damage (if any) to last as imo the materials still need some work.

Keep pushing it :thumbup:
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks for the wires! the front part and te reciver was bugging me out :P, now i will be ablke to continue working on my colt cobra, thanks for it!
  • roosterMAP
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 wrote: »
    Pretty much just use real photo overlays to make it look legit, going around all the edges with a 1px brush just looks fake. Honestly I would kill that scratch layer and rethink it, using to use photo overlays in the most highly used/worn areas on the weapon. I think it might be worth leaving the damage (if any) to last as imo the materials still need some work.

Keep pushing it :thumbup:

I allready used some photo overlays, (scratch and dirt) the problem with the damage and scatches are that there aren't much good reference picture for this gun. The revolver material is not bare metal. The parts of the revolver have a threatment wich is pretty longwearing. Also none of the parts have materials wich are really shiny, like real metal.

I updated the scope texture, it's not finished but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Still a lot to do fo the other parts tho.
    Thanks for the wires! the front part and te reciver was bugging me out :P, now i will be ablke to continue working on my colt cobra, thanks for it!

No problem :)
    roosterMAP wrote: »

Thanks for the tutorials, I've seen a few of them. The only problem is likeI said before is that the materials aren't bare metal. Wich makes it a lot harder to make good damage and scratches. Still a lot to lean with texturing :p

8sQxU.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well my latest updates, I'm almost finished or at least I'm done with it and I will go on with something else. Maybe that I will pick up the texturng again, but I'm happy with how it look. Would love to see it ingame first, before changing anything else.

zXmWh.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the ppl that might be interested, here are some wires and other stats.

I also got one other question, I have 2 computers where I run marmoset on, if I use the same maps for the models the screenshots on the old computer look a lot better and the contrast etc is also much better. The slides for the render options etc. are exsactly the same, how is this possible?

WNVJl.jpg