And

Frodo's Bust :

FrodoWIP01.jpg

And

Arena Net Art Test :

MaleNorn01.jpg

>>>

Hey polycounters,

I thought it could be better to merge all my stuff in a single thread and keep updating it with my next works. I think that I will begin to make some bust studies of the 4 hobbits from Lotr, as Romy will maybe start a new scene based on Rivendell ( but shhhhhh it's a secret and it's not sure yet ^^ ). We will try to work in coop, putting my characters in his scene, it could be cool.

If you want to see some finished works, just look at my portfolio :

http://julien-friedrich-portfolio.com/

See ya in space, cowboy !

Replies

• David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    extremely nice,

Can I just ask, how do you present stuff so well?

I understand its a nice torn background, but the colored wire shot etc

Hows this done? The post production?
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Your texture work is absolutely stunning
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    David : it's a secret ^^. Just kidding. Yeah having a good wireframe is sometimes hard, but I found a technique by my own : in Max I create a UVW Template ( you know in the tools of the UV modifier ) of 4096x4096 ( depending of the original texture, in fact to have nice wires I double the size and generate a 4096 template for a 2048 texture ). In photoshop I delete the black background and only keep the wires, I put a gray background and I turn the wires in black. Then I use a Minimum or Maximum filter on the wires to make them thicker, and I assign a new shader with this wireframe texture. Then I just make a render with a skylight, shadows ON to have some kind of AO, and I save the render in tga 32 bits, like this you directly have a mask in the alpha channel. In photoshop just mask the background and put a gradient or anything you want in overlay. And voila ^^.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I don't know if we still can submit the art test to A-Net, but I thought I could give a try. And it could always be a new piec for my folio ^^.

I took some screenshots from the game for the proportions, but I find the legs reaaaaally shorts. Don't know if it really matters. I'm still blocking the proportions, here is my progress :

MaleNorn01.jpg

Critics are welcome.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I will try to work on multiple projects in the same time, so I started Frodo's Bust. I took a lot of pics in the Lotr HD movie and I will try to sculpt Elijah Wood as Frodo ( and then the other Hobbits ). I'll try to do something realistic this time.

It's really hard to do a portrait in 3D, I never did that before ^^. And it's harder because of the hair.

Here is my main refboard but I have tons of other pics too ( big file below ! ) :

01FrodoMain.jpg

And here is what I've done so far :

FrodoWIP01.jpg

Without the hair it's really hard for me to know if it's good or not. And I don't even know how to do this kind of hair in lowpoly ^^. Sculpting them won't be possible I think.

I'm reading the Hazardous course and the Vertex PDF, but any advice could be very helpful.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    Your little stuff is Great .. !!
    Superb Texturing !
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Umar.

In the same time I work on a realistic Frodo, I wanted to do the opposite : something really cartoon. So I chose... Jessica Rabbit ! And maybe Roger too, later.

I spent some hours for the proportions, but it was mostly a try and delete stuff, so it took a long time for almost nothing. Here is where I am :

Jessica01.jpg

I also put the links to my refs ( from the movie and some fanarts ), they are too big to be posted directly :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49924717/Polycount/Jessica/01JessicaMain01.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49924717/Polycount/Jessica/01JessicaMain02.jpg
  • JasonDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonDC null
    Your work is amazing!!

I love the design for your Tikitkah character. The detail in the texture work on all your work in incredible too. Can't wait to see more! :)
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jason.

A lil update here. I don't know how to do the dress, I could use a physic simulation, or just make it after the posing with good clothes sculpting like a statue... For now I will let it like that. Still a lot of work to do. I thought to a little scene with her and Roger, and Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom.

Jessica02.jpg

Ok she's scary with white eyes and missing eyebrows ^^.

PS : I think I could do a J Scott Campbell character with the same base, his girls have almost the same proportions. A nice Abbey Chase...
  • Gabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gabe polycounter lvl 9
    Inspiring stuff!!!! Cannot wait to see Jessica rabbit finished!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    hair needs to go over one of the eyes !
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work man.

About your gradient stuff, I thought I'd share something I just did as I thought your process for the outcome was a little long so here is a quickie, hope It helps.

0. You got your Model loaded up in Max, maya, this probably works with your application of choice you just have to know your app.

1. Make a copy,

2. Freeze/hide the original,

3. Go to Material editor,

4. In "Shader Basic Parameters", check the "Wire"[x] box,

5. Open the Maps tab,

6. Click Diffuse Color select gradient, add your color choices,

7. Assign Material to Selection (I have to right click to assign It with my model selected).

8. Go to the "Modifier List", in the Modify Panel go to "Push" and set It accordingly, in my quick example I had to type in 0' 0.5" to just rise a bit off the surface.

8.5 Unhide or unfreeze your model or in the render setup window [F8] In the options tab press Render Hidden Geometry.

9. If you wanted to you could also just add your AO to the base model and apply the same technique gradient to the diffuse slot, as I did with my sphere.

10. If you want thicker smaller wire frame lines, go to Extended Parameters at the right side it says wire. size [1.0] <I usually set to 0.4 for smaller, thicker is good to so you'd go higher or leave It as is.

All I had to do after that was hit render [F9], :). It looks long but isn't in practice.

I am loving that Jessica Rabbit! Are you going for her movie design or your putting your own spin on her?

Wireframe color are from red to orange you probably can't see it so well so here's a better one.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Sinz I know that method, I just don't like it ( and generally I have bad results with the push ). And if I make a list with my method it's not so long :

1. Render a UV template
    2. Edit it in photoshop to change the background and do a maximum/minim on the wire
    3. Replace the texture by the wire
    4. Put a skylight and render
    5. Add the gradient in photoshop ( got more control than in the max shader imo ).

Anyway, here is some progress on Jessica. I try to stay close to the movie, but it's a 2D cartoon character so I adapt her a bit using some fanarts and common sense ( added a nose, etc. ).

I addedstockings too, don't know if I should keep them. Or add a garther belt ? ^^

Jessica03.jpg

BUT I really need help for the dress, seriously, I'm stuck, I don't know what could be the better way. I thought to :

- pose the highpoly in ZB then sculpt the hair and the dress depending the pose. Something like this I think :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49924717/Polycount/Jessica/Jessica_Rabbit_by_goatchumby.jpg

good : nice sculpted folds
    bad : will need to retopo a posed mesh, and the pose will be hard to change

- retopo the character without the dress, texture it pose it, then add the dress over the lowpoly in ZB, sculpt the dress, retopo the dress and merge everything.

good : faster because symmetrized
    bad : hard to manage the UV's if I have to add the dress later

- pose the highpoly in ZB, decimate the current sculpt and send it in max to use cloth physics on the dress ( or do a specific mesh for the dress to use with cloth physic ).

good : using cloth physic is faster than sculpting the folds
    bad : need to retopo a posed mesh

- let it like that, retopo, texture the whole mesh, pose and then modify the dress and the air depending on the pose.

good : faster
    bad : no specific folds, like the original dress in the movie.

@ warby : I know I know ^^. But it's better to sculpt seeing both eyes to avoid strange results... I will move the haire laiter depending on the pose. And in the movie she doesn't always have an eye covered by hair.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not really sure which route would be the best solution. But here's a bump for ya!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, well I hope It helps someone down the road.

Nice update, I really love the way Scott Campbell made her look in this image.

Maybe that will help, but you probably already stumbled upon that image.

Just going to be a spectator now keep It up looking good.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Sinz, I love Campbell's style ^^. That's why I thought to do a Danger Girl with this base later.

Anyway, I decided to learn more than planned with this character so I will make a cloth physic in UDK for the dress. At least I'll try.

Here is the whole final project : Jessica Rabbit shooting Judge Doom with the Toon Gun, and Roger is hiding behind her legs, in a small environment like a miniature ( have to decide the enviro, maybe the ACME factory ). It will take some time of course ^^.

And here is something else I forgot : I did anew portfolio :

http://julien-friedrich-portfolio.com/

Feedbacks are welcome.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I "finished" Jessica's sculpt and started Doom and Roger. Roger is too badly done for now I won't show him ^^. But here is Christopher Lloyd. I started sculpting it like Doc in Back to the Future, and then I will add the fake nose and chin of Doom.

If you see anything strange, please tell me :

jessica_rabbit_sculpt_by_julienjulien-d5eciok.jpg

Doom01.jpg

Some refs :

Doomref.jpg

EDIT :

I checked the proportions with photo refs, not so bad :

Doom02.jpg

Doom03.jpg

I didn't even put the refs in the background, did everything with feeling *proud* XD. Just have to correct the eyebrows and nose bridge. And the ear is too low.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a concept I did today, painting over Jessica's body ( slightly modified, I changed the face and the breasts ). Will be better in zbrush, I'm not good at concepting ^^.

Concept01.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok here is where I am after 3-4 days of sculpting :

MangaBabe01.jpg

Trying to focus on feminine shapes and the face this time, with a slightly manga feeling. I need to find a cool haircut ^^.

Any crit is welcome. Still need a bit of work.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a blockout for the hair and the glasses. The vintage haircut is Romy's idea ^^.

MangaBabe02.jpg
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    why can't you contact Christopher Lloyd to give you some shot of himself as photo reference ? he would be happy to see how you will manage to do it ! :D
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Really digging the Green haired chick...awesome style
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allaze, Lloyd is really old now and doens't look like Doc or Doom anymore ^^. But it's a nice idea.

Daniel : thanks man.

I reworked the hair, the face and the clothes. Most important, I scaled the head up to balance the proportions. I still need to fix the smoothing around the mouth.

I failed to give her a manga look... too bad. I'm not good with manga even when I draw. Maybe next time, I need some practice.

MangaBabe03.jpg

Plastic green wig FTW ! ^^
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work man. This latest female looks really cute and the design is very interesting as well.