Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sephiroth fan art.

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
Sephiroth_highpoly.jpg
Sephiroth_highpoly2.jpg

here's some fan art i'm working on, of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII. i'm aiming to have him fully clothed and topless for a couple of renders. i might even end up doing a bit of environment work so i can try this for my target beauty render:
FFPLOYSTONESEPH.jpg

crits extremely welcome guys!

Replies

• Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    The folds on his pants look awesome ^^

Maybe the folds from the belts on the front of his coat are a little too harsh?

Anyway, looking great so far ^^
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hey mate looking awesome, really dig the cloth work and general anatomy of him.

I think the cloth folds on the front of his trench coat are a little too similar to each other and almost look completely mirrored. the two larger folders are the exact same angle and also seem to be made up of the same amount of strokes. The smaller folds on the fastenings suffer a bit from this too. The inside edge of the boot looks like its a bit flat and could use more of a curvature.
    girrrrrrrrrr.jpg
    Just nitpicking though really, stunning sculpt so far.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Female without boobs. I mean nicely done sir. :D
  • yannage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He is wearing too much pants:\

The only thing that I think might be off is I think his front hair goes down a little longer, and that is a hard maybe:0

Great work!
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I know Seph isn't an overly muscular character, but I would make his shoulders abit wider to emphasize his dominant figure.

& Boots are lil girly at the toe perhaps lol ;P

Nice start man.
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good but currently you are having a mix of the original concept and the AC version... You have the proportions of the original FFVII concept but the clothing of the Advent Children version (and Crisis Core).

Original FFVII concept
    Advent Children/Crisis Core version

And it seems his front hair is slightly too long =)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I think the boots could use some more detail, even if you just exaggerate some of the folds. They seem a bit bland and smooth compared to the rest of the character. And maybe add some more detail and bulk to the trim/fold at the bottom of the trench coat to better define it.

Looking good so far!
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    It looks great thus far man. The thing I'd watch for is the toe of the boot. I'd personally taper it slightly because it feels a little ballooned at this iteration. But that is just a small nuance. I'd love to see how this develops.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Sephiroth isnt a chick

Mind Blowen.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    YEESSSSSS! Funny to think how much Hazardous' hot girl course will help on this project with the face ;)

My biggest crit atm is where the jacket comes together. At the moment it looks way to tight - the creases aren't to much but the difference in silhouette between the chest and the waist is too extreme. It appears as though his hips are too high! It would be a fair bit of work to redo now, but I would have his coat buckle up one buckle lower, and the top more open. At the moment it makes his upper torso seem shorter than it should be, and it doesn't show off the sweet ex-Shinra-uniform plate below his chest. Something more like this: http://thelifestream.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sephiroth-portrait.jpg (but not that loose.)

Anyway, huge FFVII nerd and Looking forward to this thread. Here's some inspiration: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkPmS1UBeMo"]Final Fantasy VII Advent Children - Sephiroth - YouTube[/ame]
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I've got a few crits similar to Fearian's, but I think completely opposite. I think right now you're really "normalizing" him, which I can understand since the original FFVII concept is pretty crazy. Yours isn't wrong, just weird - to me. Sephiroth is known for his massive shoulders, crazy thin waist, huge sword and huge coat. Right now he's really missing that iconic "V" shape from his shoulders to his waist.

I think you could stand to broaden the shoulders, tighten up where his coat is strapped - and from that point down really try to get some nice motion and maybe fan out the bottom of the coat a bit. Even the significantly more "normal" advent children version of Sephiroth has the nice broad shoulder shapes (though admittedly, mostly due to the armor).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    small update, started working on the textures. ignore the eyes, totally placeholder. and i'm almost certain i'll be reworking the hair, it's just not working right now.

ddV03.png
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    How are you getting these lovely realtime materials? Is this in the zbrush viewport? Also your sculpting is looking solid.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Makkon wrote: »
    How are you getting these lovely realtime materials? Is this in the zbrush viewport? Also your sculpting is looking solid.

hey Makkon,

the first image in the thread (right up top) is a zbrush screengrab, no funny effects or anything just set the rendering method to "best" and hit printscreen.

the last image, and probably all of them from now on are screengrabs from right out of 3ds max! i use Xoliul Shader 2. here's a screenshot with the shader settings i'm using for the skin.

CeHO0.png

a word of advice about shaders like this, that i think is important because i see a lot of people tinkering with shaders all the time, halfway through a project...
    get the shader looking how you want it to look with no diffuse or spec. get all the effects like ambient colour, diffuse fresnel, reflection etc. all looking how you want them to look before you start texturing, just the shader with a normal map. for sure have the specular setting toned down if you need, adjust the gloss or whatever. just get it looking how you like before you do any photoshop work.

once you've got the shader looking right, make your texture around it. the only values i change from this point on are the specular and gloss values. everything else is left as it is, because tweaking the other stuff will more often than not make you go "oh fuck now the diffuse is broken" and you go back to fix it... but then you tweak the shader again, and "oh fuck now the diffuse is broken".

thanks for posting anyway man, big big fan of your work!
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Good advice Almighty_Gir! Thanks for posting that insight. I've definitely suffered from going back and forth between the shader and texture.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good. What's strange is that in the previous texture shot (with hair) there is a slight green/yellow sheen to his face, but it the next shot its not as obvious. Having that slight zombie glow puts off his 'beautiful/handsome' aesthetic (probably a rendering issue). Also if you add some crimson red to his lips it could help compliment his slightly pale look.

I'm sure you've already found plenty of reference, but heres a couple of good ones just in case :)
    link 1
    link 2
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    latest progress:
    INcHJ.png
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The hair is looking smexy, but it does look very idealized. I think it's because it looks a little flat (though I'm sure with a good hair shader this won't be an issue anymmore).

You've re-inspired me to try my hand at character art again!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I like. He got nice hands x] Awesome sculpt!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey Makkon, can't wait to see what you come up with man!

the hair is just using Xoliul's standard shader... i do have an anisotropic shader that Maph made, which is still very early stages. but i haven't painted any kind of comb maps yet. not sure if i'm going to, will see how the hair looks in the final presentation.

the hair itself has a couple of different objects, so i can make it (hopefully) look a bit more wild when he's posed.

cheers Jessica, not sure what to say lol! hands can be tricky :D

p.s. love your style!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    9i1m3.jpg

textures almost done, finishing up specular now. sword is high poly only atm, but will be baked and textured later on.
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Cris as requested (in skype)

You really need fly away hair cards at the part. Right now that is one of the reasons it still looks so fake, it's too perfect from root to tip. Add some small hair cards to break up the silhouette, especially at the front hair-part.

And the biggest crit, is your facial anatomy. You consistently make too narrow mouths on your models from the 3/4. It's like their jaw is shaped like a pizza slice instead of a tapered pentagon like it should be. Look at the jaw line you made from below, then look at this:

oto5_pre_10.jpg

Obviously this dude doesn't have the same head shape as your model, but no one without genetic abnormalities have jaws so consistently tapered like you do on your heads, male or female. (Rogue seemed to survive it, but it might have been from following hazardous's example slavishly)

Lesser crits is that his silhouette is very effeminate, but I think the character might be like that. However if you weren't intending that, I'd narrow the waist, or broaden the shoulders, or a bit of both, and the boots are very cartoony in their bulbousness. You should get a more foot shaped boot going on there. They honestly look like Ronald McDonald's shoes just in black.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its slick work no doubt about that but I do agree he looks a little odd, perhaps more sephiroth reference observation?
    sephiroth does look quite effeminate but maybe not as effeminate as yours so poop may be right there and sepheriroth does have a pointy chin(as many anime inspired characters seem to have) but he has a wide jaw and his chin and mouth are more forward in the profile. The boots do look a little cartoony I suppose.
    Your character does have a mouth that is perhaps slightly too small and eyes that are too large if we go by this ref? Also the nose definitely needs to be closer to the mouth a bit to match this ref.
    Sephiroth.full.25723.jpg

heres a quick liquify gif to show you what I mean about the face, its easier to explain this way, hope it helps!
    sephiroth_gir.gif
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    That's actually a really effective paint-over.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Okay yeah, There was something bothering me about the eyes... but I could not figure out what. ...and that paintover just hit the nail on the head.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, that paintover is great. I also agree that he needs more hair haha - it can get thinner toward the bottom but he needs more layering near the top.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i just got a paintover from Hazardous as well, so i'll be working on all of this feedback before i get onto rigging and posing.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    It's probably a matter of preference but I'm quite a fan of the pronounced jawline on Ged's paintover. Hazardous' paintover goes down the anime route.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth wrote: »
    It's probably a matter of preference but I'm quite a fan of the pronounced jawline on Ged's paintover. Hazardous' paintover goes down the anime route.

Infact I do too.

But otherwise great work so far.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i kinda prefer the anime look because of stuff like this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KxjGn30PDA"]Angeal vs. Genesis vs. Sephiroth (HD 1080p) - YouTube[/ame]

fmQAh.jpg

that said, there's some good stuff in Geds paintover that i'll definitely work in =]
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Wow that video had some of the worst acting I've ever seen. Very pretty, though, and good animation while it was making sense.

That face will be tough to pull off, and you have a lot of work ahead of you. if you have a clean front and side view of his face, I wouldn't mind doing a redline/paintover to help out too.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah they changed a lot of the script in the english version... a LOT of it.

anywho, made a bunch of subtle changes to the face, both mesh and texture wise... i'm trying to stick more to the anime look, since that's how the character was originally envisioned.

old on the left, new on the right.
    g8kMT.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    definitely an improvement! the eyes are slightly too large still and if you are going by the ref you posted above this his eye shape is a bit off as well. Heres a pic of what I mean, just my own observation so I may be wrong but it seems like his eyes arent huge its actually the make up and lashes that make them look big.
    sephiroth_eyes.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Fucking back button on my mouse fucking ate my posts fucsherhse

Ok in brief because I'm typing this out again, I figured out what was bugging me about the eyes, here goes:

1. too big. It looks like you fixed this! although he does have large eyes I think you need to scale them down ever so slightly. ofc it might be the next point...

2. You gave him a human eye silhouette, or at least you havn't quite nailed the anime bad guy eyes seph has. His eyes are more like cats eyes in game, with the eyelids forming wide flat shapes. see this picture, or for an exagered idea of what I mean, the original game.
    edit: or Ged's post ;)

3. His eye shadows is a bit too dark, a bit off colour and a bit heavy on the sides. You got the highlight on the lower eyelid, and the dark shadow on the eyeball! but at the moment I think he looks more like he has a black eye than in the films, which ismore of an ill/sleepless look. The colour in the films is more of a dark skin tone that matches the lips. You have purple but maybe not enough pink? Finally on this point, the shading in the ref pretty much falls off about halfway across the eye, whereass yours is a bit wider.

Anyway fuck this mouse and keyboard. sorry for being short, man. It's all IMO anyway :P
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    FUCK OFF GED DMANIT how did it take me 10 minutes to type that post twice.

argh I give up.
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TryForce polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda love it to see you working on a Sephiroth ever since you started 3d art :)
    I dig your work but apart of the armor i personaly would
    move the chin a lilbit inside
    volume up the cheek abit
    make his eyes smaler on the horizontal line
    put the ear abit up
    widen his nose wings abit

I'd also follow on the last post that Ged made here.
    What would really help you though to post the head like it does in your references and overlay them with eachother - this could help you so much.

You've really improved so much ever since i saw your last work (like 3 years ago i believe?)
    Keep it up!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    fearian wrote: »
    FUCK OFF GED DMANIT how did it take me 10 minutes to type that post twice.

argh I give up.

hahaha...sorry! :P
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    bjeJS.png

calling it done... just rigging him up to pose him.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Looking awesome Gir!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great work, looks really believable but still anime enough too :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Sephiroth_jacket_final.jpg
    Sephiroth_jacket_final_wires.jpg

got some posed shots up on the folio site, need to do the topless shots next!
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    looking sweet man! Really like the poses. I think the front view would read better if the bottom of the jacket flared out on his right side a bit and if his left arm was moved out a bit to create some negative space between the arm and body. Let me know and I can do a paintover if my ramblings don't make sense..anyway great work man :)
  • AlphaMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice. I've always hated his pants style but you pulled it off quite nicely.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! Worthy execution of one of my favorite characters :) He looks awesome.
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Lee, Turned out really nice!
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    I'm still kinda bummed that you are mixing the proportions of the original FFVII concept with the outfit of the FFVII AC/CC that both changed his proportions to be more realistic ._.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Well done man, this turned out great!

The background could use some tweaking though. His left foot doesn’t look like its grounded, you can fix this by adjusting the shadow in Ps. Also I know your background colour choice is to keep consistent with your website, but it isn't doing much for this character. Because he consists of mainly neutral colours, adding a low staturated colour to the background dulls the overall composition.

Anyway those are just minor crits, congrats again on this piece!
    (EDIT: formating error :/)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Nice job matey, pose is great!
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    end result looks awesome! and the pose really fit him

would it be possible to see a screenshot of the rig for him? (i'm intrested mostly in how you did the binding for the coat)