Home Technical Talk

Wood Texture for Plank

Outline
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Outline polycounter lvl 4
Greetings fellow artists,

I have been working on a wood texture and I think it is coming along nicely. However, I feel like I am missing some details and not quite sure on how I should approach them. The circle was a key feature I wanted in my texture, but it does not seem to be tiling-friendly, so I might have to remove that. Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

The texture:
WoodTexture.png

The reference image:
Photo0246.jpg

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not an artist (a million miles off) but I'd try a harder brush there.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    grooves and darker colors. As of now your image has too little contrast as a whole. Having local contrast is great but if you really want to get some detail and dept in this texture than I should add some grooves and pump up the contrast.
  • Outline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After 3 hours of working here is my texture. Added some more contrast and veins to produce that wood-lke feel to the texture. I may go in for a few more detailing and then try to make the texture tilad, which I'm still not too sure if this will tile friendly or not.

WoodTexture2.png
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    harden up some edges and clean up some of the lines - especially the lightest/darkest ones. the jaggedness is too messy.
  • Outline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured as much. I was thinking about maybe adding like a layer of lighter color by the edges to soften those. The dark colors seem to be getting washed out on the uploads, I'll try to fix those as well. In the mean time, this is an example of what the texture will be used for.

Render.png
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Note: Don't take this is "do this", I am not realy in a position yet in terms of skill where I can absolutely say "that should be better", but there are some things that catch my eye.

So take this more as a "think about it/try it out and see if it's better", and not as a "I am right, you are wrong, do it this way".

Brighten up that screenshot a bit, kind of hard to tell what is going on.

Texture:

-I feel like the side feels "off"/not natural, I feel like the side would look more something like this:

http://www.eyesontutorials.com/images/Drawing/Sigma/tut17_WoodenPlank/12.jpg

Especially since the way those are cut, the ends would have a more circular pattern to them.
    (can't immediatly find more/better reference).

-Also, it just feels a bit flat, it's just some darker/lighter versions of the same brown.
    Especially since those are outside, keep in mind some weathering, some discoloration, planks from different tree's, etc.

Have a look at this one for example: http://ericchadwick.com/img/painted_textures.html

It depends ofcourse on what of style your going for, but I do feel like it could use something more.

-Shift the different planks more on the UV's, it's obvious that for the vertical ones they are all on the exact same spot in your UV's.

Model (in case it isn't just a quick testmodel)

Depending on the look/style you want to go for or the budget in terms of tri's, I feel like you could throw in some more edge loops and play around a bit with the overal form, now everything is so straight, wich just looks a bit boring.

For example, the horizontal bars on the side would be made of several planks, maybe some are a bit wider.

And to close it off, it doesn't really seem like the vertical beams are thick enough to hold the weight of the side planks.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I am not very good at painting still learning but:

The most distracting thing for me is the colour. The texture looks disaturated and lacks of colour variation. Try to add more colour, look at other photo refs, dont use just one. Also more contrast would be better.

Here is my old example of wood texture:

scaled.php?server=845&filename=axejp.jpg&res=landing

PS. not the best one
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    You're definitely making progress since your first post! I'm not an expert at wood painting by any means but I might be able to give some feedback here.

It seems like you're going for a somewhat stylized, hand-painted look here. If so, I found this tutorial helpful:

http://gimaldinov.deviantart.com/art/How-to-draw-wooden-plank-267517599

I made a really quick-and-dirty paintover to show how I'd apply some of these concepts to your texture:

GQ4eK.gif

The two main things I did were

1. Paint in a strong directional light to define the forms and
    2. Remove a lot of the high frequency detail (thin lines, etc) and replace it with surface detail defined by the light source (basically random dark/light color variations with the appropriate edges darkened/lightened by the light source).

Hopefully this image will show what I mean:

OV2pW.jpg

Aside from that, I also upped the contrast a little bit and threw in some very low-opacity green and yellow colors using random layer masks made with Photoshop clouds, just to get some slight color variation.

If you want this to tile, I think you're probably right: you'll likely need to remove the knothole.

Anyway, you're headed in the right direction, good luck dude!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Thx for the tip @ Broadway. The axe looks cool!
  • Outline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the input everyone, very much appreciated. I will continue working on this some more and post up my final results!
  • latorril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    latorril polycounter lvl 6
    Those are some good pointers @ Broadway. I'll be applying it to my own work- no doubt. Thanks!
  • Outline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Over the past few days I've been slowly modifying my texture with the applications from above. I did manage to be able to tile the texture with the knot in there, which made me fairly happy. Any who, after more color correction foe some of the colors loss from compression this will be the final modifications of the texture because I think I've spent way too much time on it.

WoodTexture2-1.jpg
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks good to me :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • josephrohdes221
    First of all it is a very good start i must say, for more learning purposes have a look at my post here i am elaborating the creation of wooden texture by using maya
    www . digitaltutors.com/forum/entry.php?147-Creating-Realistic-Wood-Texture-in-Maya-using-only-Procedural-Textures
    if you wanna ask more you can find me here
    Joseph Rohdes