Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

game project : naga quest (collab)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
Hello folks, i decided to create a new thread for to bring all my current works here and show some of my progress of these. Of course, you're welcome to help me creating some 3D models for to bring more 3D asset to use.

First, i will show you some of inspiration i did got for to make naga quest, i will call the first section a wall of inspiration, you're welcome to suggest me any game, movie, artwork and even video from youtube or other site.

Secondly, i will post the rough idea i got for the story and gameplay, you're welcome to share your idea for to improve them.

In the third place, i will post some contraints for to make in the good weight for to download the game.

And finally, i will post some models i managed to create, you're welcome to share your model here too as well giving some fixes on the 3D model i did and other people.

ok, there the information !

Wall of Inspiration :

there my inspiration i did got for most model i did and what it would look like for our game :

breath of fire 4 for the isometric view and some gameplay :
breath_of_fire_4_ps_lr_1.jpg

vagrant story for full 3D gameplay and real time fight :
53333-Vagrant_Story_%28J%29-3.jpg

Darksiders for the epic boss fight :
darksiders_51870_2291.jpg

solatorobo for his impressive large amount of details that make it very believable as well for his story telling :
Shephard_Republic.jpg

final fantasy IX for his environement and universe :
wallpaper-Final_Fantasy_IX-11205.jpg

it's all for moment, now let talk about the story i had for our game :

the pitch :

*snip*

i will rewrite that part later.

ok, now let talk about contraints that we will do or i will :

the contraints :

the game will be created for computer but with the same contraints from playstation, almost like it was created for playstation 1. so, there what we should do use as contraints :

the 3D characters should be done around 1000 triangles, the textures could use the 128x128, in some case, we will possibly use the 512x512 for some case like huge boss or big monster. you're welcome to split alot of textures for to increase the amount of details on the characters or monsters. we will use only 256 colors per texture. this way, we will save alot of memory.

the level should stay simple but detailled like vagrant story or breath of fire 4 does.

we could use the same trick than square enix for splitting alot of CD like final fantasy IX for example. but the goal will be less than 3 CDs if not, a 4 CDs will be ok.

well, it's all for moment, now let me share what i'm done so far :

the assets games :

i did restarted the first module which it's a wall with a bit of green because of vegetations.
modular_1_v2.png

first version of tile ground, i don't know if i do it well but i was based on some ancient tile done during medieval time.
modular_2_v1.png

there how the module would look like now :
level_isometric_v3.png

there an example of what is my goal once it's ingame, for the moment, it's a mockup done with photoshop, it will have too many errors by the way ^^;

well, there how it look without all the FX :
level_isometric_castle_ruin.png

and with FX :
level_isometric_castle_ruin_FX.png

there the file that you can mess around and of course, any feedback is welcome :
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14183130/low_poly_pixel_art.rar

the naga / main character :

naga_v1.png

and there the download content that you can check how it look like, you're welcome to give me feedback or critique or even too you can use it as a SDK training for only texture :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14183130/naga_quest/naga_quest.rar

the "Catoblepas" (it's dezhand fault ! XD )
ps1_low_poly_naga_quest___horse_pouch_by_allaze_eroler-d57zk9n.png

i will upload the 3D model later, so you can check and edit my 3D model for to improve it.

the lizzard warrior monster :

a first rough model of lizzard warrior, still alot of work to do...
lizzard_warrior.png

female mouse :
female_mouse.png

you can take a look on there for the female mouse : http://p3d.in/mPqIb/shadeless+spin

it's all for moment, i hope you will enjoy it.

Replies

• allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been a while i haven't posted any new wip about this game, i finally managed to start seriously building the level. i did changed my mind about engine game, i will use Unity 4 because i realised it's more easier to use and it have the great advantage to be compatible with any support ! so, right now, i can only create the game for windows, i will make more progress soon but for moment, i'm able to add a gui, level, camera and light !

by the way, there the pic :

rpg.jpg

i do hope i will be able to finish that project... after some months or years of course !
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Such a great undertaking, good job for sticking to it. Are you just designing the level on the whim or do you have any preparatory sketches you are following? If not, I suggest doing some quick ones as it helps a lot knowing what you want in a level and what the encounter will be like. (Unless it is a rogue like). Keep at it!
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome designs!
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p wrote: »
    Such a great undertaking, good job for sticking to it. Are you just designing the level on the whim or do you have any preparatory sketches you are following? If not, I suggest doing some quick ones as it helps a lot knowing what you want in a level and what the encounter will be like. (Unless it is a rogue like). Keep at it!

heh thx you very much, for to anwser you, right now it's only test purpose and i did that level from my mind, i will of course make some change for to turn as a first cutscene of that level. and like i said, i still have a long way to finish it. remind me that i need to finish that naga character :|
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok folk, there is some progress i've made but as you might noticed, i had some trouble designing the various characters :

spider monster :

spider_2.png

and then the chest with a first try of painting :

treasure_chest_2.png

and so, there is the main character that i still keep going working on :

main_character_v2.png

and you can mess around with this SDK of main character because i'm not good enough with rigging and animation stuff :| (and you can even edit the textures)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14183130/naga_quest/sdk_main_character.rar

enjoy !
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some progress of the insect people i'm working on, for moment it doesn't have any texture and i don't have yet add the clothes stuff.

insect_people1.obj (click to view in 3D)
    thumbnail_448.png?v=1370707584

hope i will be able to finish the first level ! :D
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think your protagonist could use a bit more development. It'd be worth getting some human anatomical reference to work on his upper half, but there are plenty of nice options out there for visual references of Naga too. Given its a creature from Hindu and Buddhist theology, getting some Asian influence in the presentation might be worth consdiering.

I do really like your Catoblepas design.
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for the lack of update, alot of things did happened to me lately, so, there some new stuff i made lately but first, let me anwser some post.
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I think your protagonist could use a bit more development. It'd be worth getting some human anatomical reference to work on his upper half, but there are plenty of nice options out there for visual references of Naga too. Given its a creature from Hindu and Buddhist theology, getting some Asian influence in the presentation might be worth consdiering.

I do really like your Catoblepas design.

heh thx you for the suggestion, i'm already looking about hindu and boddhist theology which it's where i found inspiration, i will certainly check the asian influence for it. going to investigate more about it :)

well, now the news stuffs i'm doing, first, the musics i made recently that you can listening there :

https://soundcloud.com/allaze-eroler/sets/naga-quest-soundtrack

despite my deafness, i managed to make some interesting musics and i hope you will enjoy them ! :D

for moment, i have nothing much to show because i'm redoing the main character design and decided to go more stylized version like tales of serie or other RPG games does.

so, stay tuned and feel free to contribute your works :)
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok peps, there a small progress I'm working on the menu system that you can see there:

http://www.allaze-eroler.com/web_menu_test-1_Data/web_menu_test-1_Data.html

Normally, the characters you see are place holder since it was made by a very talented cookiehana and I did got her permission to use her art. So...

And there the mockup I did which you can see there:

menu_test_concept3.png

What it did disappoint me is that I couldn't get the blur effect from unity because it require to have unity pro.... Which I couldn't afford it.... :| Oh the background you see there is from this place: http://timjonsson.deviantart.com/art/Adventure-RPG-GAME-MOCKUP-267576109 I got his permission for mockup the menu by the way.

I'm still in the LONG way for making my RPG game a reality! XD;

See you for the next update ! :D
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while I haven't updated ! At the moment, I'm migrating all my current asset to UE4 because I was Lucky enough to get it for free (for one month) which it's a good opportunity to test it, so far I'm falling in love ! (no more restriction from unity free version yay!)

Here a shameless cross-post on my save point which you can find there : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148070

But for those who are lazy to click, there the info :

I recently started migrating my game project to Unreal Engine 4 because I found out it's more easier to work with than unity 4.6. So, at the moment, I only have this idea of save point concept I have, I do plan using the particles effect because it seem easy to use. Unfortunately, I'm at the moment got stuck with some problems I'm facing... There the pic that i drew:

savepoint_idea.png

There the full concept art:

save_point_concept.png

As you can see, it have some complexity to get rendered into UE4 that I wasn't able to achieve it... Not yet.

And there the texture I already made which you can experiment with it :

SavePoint1.png

The pic is separate by channel because it will save me alot of ram and draw calls :)

So far, I managed to get it :

save_point_test.png

I used 3 static meshes and one particle emitter which it's already good enough but as you can see, I'm still far away from the result I wanted.

I'm hoping you will be able to give me some hints for making this save point working! :D
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I apparently forgot to share the new version of the main character for our game, feel free to give me any feedback, as you might see, it's still in WIP.

[sketchfab]7e0eb92b105a44d3a5e4540223c20537[/sketchfab]

Oh and you're welcome to download it and do some edit if you see any problem or you can even animate this character, I'm very bad at it because I don't know how to properly rig it! XD;;;

Enjoy your day! :D
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello folks, it's been a while I haven't posted anything new, so there :

First of all, one of my team managed to put all my RPG project on github so, everyone could join and contribute it, you can even fork it :D There the place where you can go : https://github.com/no-frontier/Naga_Quest

And so far, I also create a wiki from the same site which you're able to see there : https://github.com/no-frontier/Naga_Quest/wiki for the moment, only characters is done despite it's still in work in progress...

I created a trello that you will be able to follow the roadmap of our game project : https://trello.com/b/DgfCir4J/naga-quest

oh, speaking of one member of my team, there how it happened :

I meet a new person during one of my streaming at www.picarto.tv which it's a wonderfull place that is equivalent to livestream or ustream but specially made for artist! Well, he will work on the code part of our RPG project!

and finally, remember the pause menu I imagined? It's now in progress which you can see there:

PauseMenu_UE4_1.png

As you might noticed, I'm trying to figure out how to fox the size of the statsUI in the menu... well, feel free to check the github so, you could tell me how to fix it. :)
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    haha i like it! keep it up!