Replies

• afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Jeff Parrott: Thanks man
    guhhh: Cheers :)
    Scythe: Thanks mate, hope it helps
    chronic: good idea. I'll have to try doing it that way next time.
    MrNinjutsu: Cheers bro
    woogity: Thanks
    duncan: haha thanks matey :)
    funkdelic: no worries:)
    Nizza: hey mate, good eye on those jaggies, a lil paint over fixed it quick. thanks dude
    Dylan Brady: Thanks Dylan
    pappete: no worries. Yea I use xnormal for most of my bakes.
    carlobarley: Cheers mate

thanks for all the feedback guys. Sorry for the lack of updates, but I didn't work on him for a week or so and started up again having some fun with painting the diffuse. Here's what its looking like so far-

diffuse + normals:

wip07v.jpg
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks fantastic!

Can you explain how you went about sculpting the fur patch?
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    w00t would love to see your texture process! :)
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    This already looks killer man :thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:

I am keen to see the texture progress esp with spec.

Only thing I could sort of crit (and this is pure personal taste) but his skin feels a little too "human". I kind of expect his flesh to look a little grey and have more animal markings (I know it might not match the ref but hey why not).

Either way ACE! I am looking forward to some more.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    dat texture.

looking good! doing a great job capturing the concept!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man this is coming along great, nice work
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PoPcorn: Thanks man. For the fur I used clayTubes to block out the main shapes and flow, then used the damStandard to refine and cut in more of the forms. I also used the move and snakeHook to adjust the silhouette and create overlappings patches. Hope that helps.
    carlobarley: nothing very exiting about my process. I did do a lot of it this project in the google+ hangouts. It's a great place to see how different artist's work.
    duncan: Thanks bro! I did try adjusting the skin colours after your crit, but I didn't really like the contrast between the greyish skin and the vibrance of the costume, was definitely worth a shot though. thanks for the idea.
    wretchedgoat: cheers dude
    mr_ace: hey man. thanks :)

I finished this guy the other day, but didn't get a chance to post him until now. Thanks everyone for the comments and anyone in the hangouts that kept me motivated while I was working on him.

So this will be my last art post for a little while. I'm getting married this weekend and will be on my honeymoon for a few weeks :D So until then here's some final shots: Thanks guys!

lycan01n.jpg

lycanwf.jpg

lycan02.jpg

lycanzb.jpg
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    came out sweet man
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    turned out really cool man ^_^
    If you've got an extra couple of seconds to spare, I'd suggest amping up the spec a little bit so he pops more, then maybe slapping some strong rimlight (or just backlight) on there too (seems a bunch of the dota 2 chars roll that way). ^_^

Anyways, really solid peice dude, and gratz on getting married :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Really nice work, man!
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very nice, good job :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    in that forward leaning pose, he would look awesome if he were roaring...

other than that, it's badass man.
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    This came out real awesome! It's great inspiration!
    And congrats on your soon-to-be marriage! :D
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    great model. solid visual style and colors.
    Saved image to my inspiration folder.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @afisher: I know this might be late, but how did you manage to get hard edged sculpts during the Sculpting stage (in ZBrush or Mudbox?)
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so I updated that first image with slightly better lighting. (thanks Nizza)

xxxcubanxxx: thanks buddy
    Nizza_waaarg: Cheers bro! I agree with the spec/lighting. I only had a few minutes, but I've updated the first image with slightly better rim lighting and spec. Thanks for the suggestions mate.
    Gav: Thanks man :)
    nedwork: thanks dude
    almighty_gir: Yea if I'd thought a bit more ahead I probably would have done that. Thanks mate
    Synyster: thankyou
    osk: cheers
    JadeEyePanda: for the armour parts I just modeled a really basic blockout in Maya and imported in Zbrush. I turned off "Smt" and subdivided a few times. This way it holds it's shape better, the downside is that it keeps the faceting. So I then get the move, smooth and hPolish brushes to smooth out the silhouette and remove the unwanted faceting while keeping my edges tight. I then turn "smt" back on and divide again this time my hard edges should get a softer edge to them (and they'll bake out better as well). For the indents I just mask out the areas I want and use Deformation>Inflate to pull the areas out then I use move,smooth and hPolish again to clean it up if needed. Hope that answers your question :)
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    Overall, I think it's amazing!! Great color, silhouette, and modelling! One of the top, and best one I've seen. Great job man!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Did you block out the raised portions of the armor, like the raised edges that surround the shoulder pads, in Maya? Or is there a way to make them look like that by straight up sculpting from a flat surface?
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Evolvyn!
    JadeEyePanda: no I created the raised parts in ZBrush.
    ...... For the indents I just mask out the areas I want and use Deformation>Inflate to pull the areas out then I use move,smooth and hPolish again to clean it up if needed. Hope that answers your question :)
  • pappete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    always great and perfect models^^:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yet another great one from afisher :D

Wooo getting married?! I am happy for you and sad at the same time. You're never going to have time for your mistress Polycount again. Women BE JEALOUS AMMARIGHT?!
  • nickzucc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickzucc polycounter lvl 5
    Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

It almost looks like you could do a lighting/paint pass to bring out some brighter highlights. You have really good darks and midtones but it looks like it is missing that extra punch from the highlights.

I really like the gradient with the AO bake as well, but when you introduced your color and normal pass it looks as if the gradient was pushed back quite a bit, have you tried to make the gradient a little stronger once you introduced the color pass?

Again, great work and thanks for sharing with us all! :)
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    The model came out great! And congrats on getting married. :)