Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Ready Anatomy Study

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
Hello fellow poly counters! Essentially what you have here is a young guy who's wanting to skip the collage fase and go right into studio work when out of high school "next year". I've been working freelance quite a bit, mainly doing low poly work. Obviously to get a job at a studio like Raven Soft or Human Head "Biggest studios within 45 mins of me", Ill need to have a lot of solid current gen work. Thus I began my anatomy study, which also doubles as a study on building solid current gen game ready models.

NEWEST UPDATE

beautyshotpng.png
presentation-6.png
wires-1.png
But enough talk, here is what Ive come up with 5 days in.

HumanHeadBust.png
Realistic*
Hand.png

Any and all comments welcome.

Replies

• Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    The face seems a little on the flat side and the palm of the hand seems a little wonky almost like his thumb is broken out of place. The color and detail in the models look nice but I think some of the basic shape seems wrong.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    By looking at the head, there's still a lot you need to know about anatomy. The forehead is too inflated and the skull shape is lacking at the rear of the cranium. Your character's face has got a permanent surprised look; usually you want the expression to be idle. The superorbital margin on the brow region seems to be lacking, especially on a male head. The area under the brows seems TOO inflated. Also the temples, to the zygomatic seems inflated, it needs to flatten.
    The sculpting on the eyes needs more attention, especially the overall shape, the nose seems flat. The upper lip's detail seem blurry.
    I suggest to look at other people's sculpts at the WAYWO thread and compare yours and theirs. I also suggest to look up some drawing basics when it comes to the head.
    good luck
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, thank you guys so much for all the advice, Seriously helpful! I was gone for the past week, but I spent some of today working on this face. Did my best to get some solid anatomy. Before I go into detailing Id really like to hear any crits about the anatomy so that I can fix that up first.
    front-6.png
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    looks much much better. like day and night.
    watch the distance between the eye and try to show the lacrimal gland, aka tear ducts, and pay attention to the shape of it.
    i also suggest look up classical sculpture for some inspiration and try to give your character a personality, dont make his generic, it will definitely help
    peace
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You are missing the placement of the eyes and cheeks, which is making your head still look a little flat. Your eyes are sunk pretty far into your face. If you look at somebody's profile you only see a little bit of their eye, and you also get this nice curve from the orbital bone through the cheek. Try to find a good reference book to understand what is exactly going on. This picture is a decent reference.
    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/224/7/9/Ecorche_sculpture_by_Leifa.jpg
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, thanks so much for the help guys, I really appreciate everything said.
    I was diggin this head and decided to take it into a full character. Still LOADS to do with the shirt, specifically the sleeves, but I thought Id show yall what I got to make sure there arnt any major flaws that Im missing.
    front-7.png
    HIT ME!
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so I still got a lot of work to do with the pants and boots. But Im feeling like theres something off with the proportions. Wanting all the comments you got.

front-9.png
  • purehilarity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
    Just want to say man, I really admire your drive. If I had half the ambition you do at your age I'd be in great shape. You'll go far man. Keep working at it you're already more talented than 95% of the seniors I graduated college with.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    check your proportions, the neck is too long compared to the head and too thick compared to the chest, legs are too long compared to the torso. is he about 7-8 heads high? the hands are also a bit strange, theyre too large and the arms look too short.
    that ribcage should be larger. the curvature of the spine is lacking. your trapezius around the neck is missing. look at your references if you have any...
    good luck
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry this took so long, Recently got a new computer and had to transfer everything over. Anyways, I made quite a few proptional updates and also retopoed and baked.

I still have the make the pistal and the holster for his hip, so igonore the random straps on his leg for now. Other then that, I would love to here thoughts.
    presentation-1.png
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I decided to go ahead with the texture, not really sure baout it so far though.
    [IMG][/IMG]
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update
    presentation-4.png
    [IMG][/IMG]
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    what did you use to re-topologize that character? He has some serious issues in the chest and crotch area.
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used 3D coat, but I did it by hand sense the autoretopo wasn't giving me what I wanted. How might I have done those areas better?
    sadly I saw your post Bardler after having posed him. So here are the final renders. I would still really like your advice on how to fix those areas for the future.
    beautyshotpng.png
    presentation-6.png
    wires-1.png
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    looks great

wouldve been better if you worked on the crits given to you in this thread

its better to spend time on something and learn as much as you can rather than doing a rush job and getting it finisshed
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you butt_sahib. Also yes I agree, he could be improved on a lot, I defiantly got impatient during the last stretch here. I learned so much in the development that I just wanted to start fresh on a new one!

Any other thoughts on this fella?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just curious...

where is the anatomy study?
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almighty_gir, well, it kind of got lost when one of the heads from it turned into a full character. I wont be posting any more characters in this thread though. Only pieces I do for anatomical study. Sorry about the confusion.