Home General Discussion

Motivation? I need some advice...

I haven't done anything game related in about a year or so now, and a lot of my artistic and creative side has sorta sputtered out recently. I have no idea why. Is it just that I need some motivation? Is it because I'm a teenager? I want to fix it so I can go back to doing cool stuff like game art and writing Instead of derping around the internet every spare second of my life. Can anyone help?

Replies

• reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    start doing it.

seriously, take a long walk and brainstorm on something til you get excited about it enough that you don't want to do anything else. do it when you know you have some free time and nothing will get in the way. then binge a little - kick start ye right up i'll wager.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I started a character and then lost interest but I still eventually want to finish it. Feels like crap. But at least im still doing art, even if it isn't that exact project. Ill be going back to it.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well, some pieces you finish some you don't. The most important thing is to know what you want to do with your life. If one of your goals is to become a better artist then you need to put some hours into it even though you might not feel like it. It should always be some kind of fun though, if you're not up to a big project than do lots of studies instead or smaller projects.

Material/Texture studies are great. Reading/Watching tutorials and analyzing other peoples work are also ways to practice your skills.

Whenever I feel like I need some inspiration or motivation I just head to the WAYWO 2012 thread and check out all the awesome that is in there.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea but chris, what happens is ill be inspired by medieval games to make something medieval, and then before im finished im back to playing bf3 and then I want to make something else. So im constantly motivated but it changes a bit too quickly
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    These threads really need to stop. Browse only the Pimping and Preview forums when you're on here instead of General Discussion. Go on CGHub. Go on ZBrush Central, whatever. Spend like an hour doing that to get motivated. AND THEN GET THE FUCK OFFLINE. Seriously, disconnect your internet and shut off your stupid iPhone and start doing stuff.

Then, you and every other teenager won't feel like a spergysperglord on Reddit/Facebook/Twitfuck/BF3/CODBLOOPS every goddamn minute.

Edit: After looking through 3 pages of your posts on this forum I don't think I've seen one thing about asking for crits or posting art. It might be hidden behind your gratuitous brown nosing but I haven't found it yet.

REAL TALK HOMIE. Once you get badass at art you can rub it in my face.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ speaks the truth.

The hardest part is double clicking the icon, and then there goes 2 hours.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    @ frell He has 5 pages....3 of which chibi here read. Clear?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought he was viewing threads, not posts.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    or,
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101777&page=5

join google hang out , everyone are working on something, you should do too. :3
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    listen to the wu-tang
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Racer445 wrote: »
    listen to the wu-tang

My man evs is spittin truth
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I haven't done anything game related in about a year or so now, and a lot of my artistic and creative side has sorta sputtered out recently. I have no idea why. Is it just that I need some motivation? Is it because I'm a teenager? I want to fix it so I can go back to doing cool stuff like game art and writing Instead of derping around the internet every spare second of my life. Can anyone help?

Maybe you're just losing interest? No harm in that. Everyone's different. If you want to stick to just playing games, that's cool. :thumbup:
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Sooooo, polycount has this cool search function, where it returns results of what you're looking for, you should totally use that..........
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    if you are lacking in knowing how to do something, watch tutorials. if you cant think of something to create.. recreate something.. watch movies. if you're derping around on the internet.. unplug your internet.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    I work in a place where I can shoot people with nerf darts and play video games.

You can too, get to work.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Take loads of drugs and spend a night in the nevada desert. Works for some. And what could possibly go wrong...

Well thats more for inspiration than motivation, but you got to start somewhere :)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I was struggling with this for a while, and I got out of that phase by either playing a game I really like, or trying new games, or watching documentaries on things that fascinate me. Nobody here can give you motivation, only you can give yourself that. Find something you enjoy and make something out of it, whether you think you can or think you can't try it, it doesn't hurt. You won't die by trying. Get at it!