Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Mixamo] Lady knight

UPDATE: 29/08/2012

tumblr_m9i8zxMRvY1qhqqyvo1_r3_1280.jpg

Hi y'all,

So jumping on the Mixamo bandwagon. Im going to make a badass lady knight. The contest deadline conveniently falls halfway through my term and i have to produce two portfolio pieces in that time so i thought it would give me some good guidelines. It will be a time management challenge though as i have a major project presentation next week URL="http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96556"]Casual self-promotion[/URL which is eating up my time until then, but who doesn't love a challenge? haha

In any case i will be trying to update as much as i possibly can and as usual any advice and crit is oh-so appreciated.

SO here's my concept right now, colours are very base but i'm liking the direction, i plan to have some serious base meshin' happening later this week.

tumblr_m7b00xrN3U1qhqqyvo1_r1_500.jpg

-R

Replies

• Kdogma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Nice concept! The proportions and costume design are pretty solid. I think you can do the knee pads better, the design is there but I think the execution is pretty rough, really try to nail that form and design and make it clear. Also in terms of pose, everything is looking solid except for her left arm. It appears to be projecting back into space, but the sword kind of implies that it is hanging at her hip. The arm shouldnt project back like that if it is just grabbing the sword at the hip, so you're creating an odd space paradox there to me. It could be possible if the sword hilt was angled out away from her and the tip of the sword was projecting at us from behind her, but right now it just looks a little awkward. Its probably best to do something else with her arm, or have her gripping it with her arm over the sword. Also, a tip for the face, dont make line defining the upper lip so thick, and that should help.

Again, nice start. I appreciate the modest costume you've given her and it looks pretty sophisticated. I imagine you could play up some patterning in the red fabric too!

Keep it up!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I like it.

Kdogma already nailed the strange arm.

First I thought that the difference between the upper and lower parts of the armor was strange, but finally, I don't know why, but it fit well together.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Kdogma, i've taken your advice and gone back and totally rethought the armor. Thanks for the pose advice too, i need to do a lot more anatomy work haha. Anyway i want to deisgn the sword and shield separtely as soon as i can and then i'll 3Ditup :)

tumblr_m7dtfkl6fq1qhqqyvo1_500.jpg
  • Kdogma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool update. Armor is looking stronger. I think you should play up the gold buttons that connect the front cloth, like in the first drawing. The new design on the bottom of that hanging cloth looks stronger. I think as far as posing you should use the head from the first drawing. The front view of the head isnt as strong, the 3/4ths head shot will look more interesting played against the more front-angled torso.

Also this is just personal taste, but I think with the new pauldrons her shoulders appear wider which gives somewhat of a masculine feel. If it were me I would try to make the shoulders not as broad either by shrinking the pauldrons or moving them in closer to the shoulder, or however way works. Again, just personal taste on that feedback.

Nice update, keep it up!
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i had a spare moment tonight to do a quick face sculpt and get it going in the direction i want, still oodles of work to do but that's how it is haha

I'm intentionally going in a direction of a more 'interesting' face with as much character as i can muster with my current skills rather than the kind of 'classic' female face. I want people to look at the character and get a sense of who they are and what they do. In this case, an arrogant, clever, lady knight.

Kd - I agree with your comments totally, i'm going to keep the pauldrons as they are though because when i though about it, the objective is to have her appear as a knight, so strong and authoritative. Also i like having that tie between the top and bottom halves.

tumblr_m7f68ecxqt1qhqqyvo1_r1_1280.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting my base mesh on : ) Bit of ncloth to get a feel as it were.

tumblr_m7indsWs8s1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg

Also without the cape;

tumblr_m7io7aT7Dj1qhqqyvo1_r1_1280.jpg
  • Kdogma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate your decisions on the proportions for the sake of character. Very often people choose idealization over character.

Here was a suggestion on proportions on your model, the arms and hands felt a bit comically big, and the head seemed a bit large as well.

ladyknight1.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1, especially for the head.
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evil raz polycounter lvl 10
    Nice.
    Going to be watching this thread, so I can learn from this.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So another update, started sculpting in its entirety. Again, thanks for the advice Kdogma, my lecturer agreed completely so i've gone back and re-proportioned some stuff : ) Still some base mesh stuff to finish but i messed up version transfering between home and school hurpderp so i thought i'd get started.

tumblr_m7pjow0pcc1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg

C&C welcome as usual.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some goooood advice on this from another game artist so i've gone back and changed some stuff in the base. I will be getting a much needed move on this this week so more updates to come.

tumblr_m8157b4mCn1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More base mesh before i dive totally into sculpting. With added shield. Also do i have to move my thread or does an admin do that because i'm pretty sure im still in pimping n previews haha

tumblr_m82g7pAdsk1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m82g7pAdsk1qhqqyvo2_1280.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like all the shapes.

But the head could be more feminine, especially if you have short hair. I don't say to make a bimbo, she can looks tough AND feminine. Maybe get some ref from comic books girls, they generally have angular faces but look really good.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks cool, I like the armor, its translating well into 3D, she looks a bit short though, have you done a head measurement? she should be like 6-7 head high, she looks more like 5 atm, but it might just be the perspective.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt update. Still a ton of stuff to do but hey, it's getting there : )

tumblr_m8bsdtSGrl1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg

Also, yeah im going to work on the head a bit more and her hair is just tied up, not a shorter style, so ill try make it something more feminine. Also last time i checked she was the right amount of heads high but i'll check again and might just adjust it after the bake as the head's separate.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'nother update. Pretty much finished the sculpting for the most par, especially if i want to get it done in time haha. Need to start the retop asap :S

The shield and sword are separate pieces, and the face has changed i just haven't swapped it out because i had transferring issues haha

tumblr_m8ff2jJE081qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So got my retop done, now onto UVing, hurrah. I tried to make it as applicable to animation and stuff as i could. Not crash happy with the weapons but time is a ticking haha

Sitting at 14726 Tris which is quite under the 15000 tri limit, but i like having some to spare for emergencies when going into UVing and baking as i usually find somewhere that needs it.

tumblr_m8lckwemGZ1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m8lckwemGZ1qhqqyvo2_1280.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did bakes today, i'm pretty happy with the result, still stuff to tweak (Like the very heavy AO) but i can do that while texturing :) The wepons are pretty boring but i had to prioritise haha Better 100% done, 80% perfect than 80% done, 100% perfect

tumblr_m8opxcaj3X1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m8opxcaj3X1qhqqyvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m8opxcaj3X1qhqqyvo5_r1_1280.jpg
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Looks awesome. I liked the original drawings and it looks like your bakes came out well and your model is living up to the concept art. I don't mind the "boring" weapons, the detailed armour is definitely the centrepiece of the design, and I think the weapons compliment it decently enough without stealing any of the attention.:)

Looking forward to seeing this textured!
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jigsaw, It's encouraging to hear that haha :)

Anyway, gotten the bases down where i want them, just time to adjust and then a noice spec, which should really help sell the different materials.

tumblr_m8qn0rSOVG1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture update, with better lighting too.

tumblr_m8s5etKT2V1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Lookin good! Try to make those materials pop!
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, im trying haha : )

Texture update :>

tumblr_m8u8ogMkdX1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m8u8ogMkdX1qhqqyvo2_1280.jpg
  • Shiskebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiskebab polycounter lvl 16
    Looks nice, i specially like the armor design/ornaments. Nice details without looking to busy.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah really nice, good color scheme.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)

So pose update. The deadline was extended to i took the chance to take a step back and them come back and reassess the results. It was good i think, i was getting too kind of annoyed at the whole thing haha. Anyway, pose progress, something dynamic, interesting i hope. I feel like she's holding the sword wrong but i can put my finger on it so any advice would be awesome.
    The pedestal will be textured with tiles and celtic design around the outside :)

tumblr_m98z0aU3oa1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy moses, she's done! I'm preeety happy, every time i try a character i learn heaps haha I'm not optimistic on placing lol but i'm very happy with the result :) Thanks for the help PCers! Also i haven't sent it off so if you notice anything drastically wrong let me know haha

tumblr_m9elymGlwZ1qhqqyvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9elymGlwZ1qhqqyvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9elymGlwZ1qhqqyvo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9elymGlwZ1qhqqyvo4_1280.jpg
  • EggplantNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome! Love how you did the textures.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    this is quite awesome, but i'd remove the stained glass since it makes it less clear what are actual properties of materials.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    your final pose is DREADFUL.

it completely hides the most important part of the model, her face.

why is it the most important part? because you've chosen to make a female character, in full plate... where all of her other female defining areas are hidden by the bulk of her armour (which is cool), all that's left to define her as female is her face, and it's covered up... so now all you're left to look at, is a suit of armour.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, i'll keep playing around with the lighting.

gir, i agree with you to some extent, i was never happy with the pose covering her face so much. However i stuck with the pose because i wanted it to be dynamic and have a sense of power in her swing, (and quite frankly make her look like a badass who'd slice your head off haha.) That kind of felt more important than her gender being instantly recognisable :/ I would agree that its not ideal hiding her face but not because she's a lady, just because faces in general are an important part of any character. I don't really understand why her looking like a woman is more important than other defining parts of her pose (power, the dynamics etc) and it was pretty difficult to settle on any dynamic pose that actually looked plausible.
    Thank you though, i'll take the input on board because it IS important. I kinda wish someone else had mentioned it earlier cause I'm not sure i'll have time to try new poses with other work but i'll look into it :S
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you called the thread "Lady Knight", which implies the importance of her gender.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair point, i think my idea about the character must have changed as i worked on it haha Sorry, i didnt mean to seem ungrateful for the critique.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    I'm no character artist, but I think you could benefit a lot from messing around with the materials. Currently, her face seems flat and dull.
    You could improve if you just push around the materials, make a super reflective armor set etc... If you happen to be using the Marmoset toolbag, you should try to apply the skin shader to her face.
    I think you should pull out her hair and make it using alphas, after all this is a real character. I think that would push her feminine side as well as making it more of a realistic piece.

I know how it is when you "finish" something and then people start giving you feedback to further improve it. You just want to deny all of it. But I would highly recommend following all the way through, and just make it a fantastic piece of art.

Hopefully this helps a little.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with almighty, I'm sure you could find a dynamic pose which doesn't hide her face. Maybe you should not submit a front view for your main beauty shot. I mean, the pose is dynamic EXCEPT in the front view imo. The sheet with the three other angles is far better, but the gradient between each pedestal sucks. There is no limit to how many images we submit ( it's AT LEAST 3 images, you can have more ), so I suggest that you separate the second sheet in three, forget the front view and make a 3 beauty separated beauty shots.

Or you can make 2 beauty shots, one with front/back view and one with the side views. Or you could also make 2 poses, one like your concept, where she is "peaceful" but also "haughty", and one where she demostrate her combat rage...

Anyway, it's a good character, nice work.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    I think the pose is pretty badass. the fabric on her back, the cape-thingy have a weird shape in that angle though.

I like the shape of the face, and i dont think you should make her more feminine, but you should put more effort on the face texture. Put more skintones and variation in there, like red around the eyes and nose, and small spots that make it look less clean. you could also add more contrast by making the eyes and hair darker. right now hair, eyes and skin is hard to read from eachother. I dont think there is a problem hiding part of her face, but then you have to make sure that the part that is visible really stand out.

otherwise great work, very nice character design and concept!
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much guys, i really, really appreciate all the feedback. Unfortunately for some reason mixamo has closed off entries and i had not submitted because i intended to put some of this feedback into effect. I've emailed them with what i have explaining my position but who knows :/
    In any case i cant promise i'll make many changes to this piece because i have a lot of course work to do BUT i can promise i'll take everything on board for the next character :)
    Again thanks a million this is what i joined PC for even when sometimes it takes some time to digest stuff i might not want to hear haha
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hopefully they'll allow you to enter her into the contest, so good luck with that!

but please try to use this feedback and make the final pose all it should be for your portfolio.
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well as it turns out they made a mistake and it's still open, dont know what went on with that...haha Anyway as such i went back and tried again on the pose, something simpler and i concede probably better for showing her off. Let me know what you think : )

tumblr_m9i8zxMRvY1qhqqyvo1_r3_1280.jpg
  • siggi-gross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great.:poly115:
    she definitely is left-handed? otherwise you may want to move the sword to the other side.