Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Alex Wells, Prop and Environment Artist

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the woodgrain is going the wrong way on some of the downward facing panels above the gate and the vertical most inner and outer door frame planks. I'm pretty sure woodgrain should almost always run along the length of an object.

I also think you still need to add even more of a wooden support structure under the tile roofing along the walls. I think those tiles are usually made of heavy ceramics to withstand typhoon winds and rain, they can't support themselves.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Ben! Made those changes and I think Ill be calling it done. Put up the final renders on my folio!

8401795_orig.jpg
    1934441_orig.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final images! This thing needed a skybox.
    909973_orig.jpg
    3812325_orig.jpg
    5389168_orig.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I changed the layout to have larger thumbs on the main page and added the Normandy SR2. Tell me what you guys think or if anything is holding my folio back. I plan on adding a planet to the Normandy to give a better sense of scale but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it on there anyway while I research how to make a good planet.

Also working on another non sci-fi scene set in a ice cavern. Not much to show of it, just working on a ice and snow shader for it.

2850730_orig.jpg
    9263438_orig.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still in the early planning stages for the Ice cave but I spent a few hours and touched up this scene. Better spec maps and some more interesting lighting and meshes.
    9062599_orig.jpg
    1780045_orig.jpg
    1775696_orig.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started on my next environment. It is a reimagening of the bat cave from Arkham Asylum. The catch is the cave will now be covered in ice. I'll be using Zbrush for the cave walls and such.

I want to get the main areas batman would walk blocked out first then worry about the cave and natural sections.
    4XJmO.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slight bump, just wondering what everyone thinks of any of the new stuff or any crits.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update on the blockout, should have I done by tomorrow. Then onto a proper lightin passHpo9d.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a new section to my folio just for textures. Been doing a lot of work with NDO2 just as small projects and figured having a section for it couldn't hurt.
    8638655_orig.jpg?0

http://alexwellsartist.weebly.com/textures.html
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys its been a bit over 4 months since I started this topic and my big push to get my first industry job. So first off huge thanks to everyone who has given crits and helped me in any way.

I really think that not enough artists talk about their weaknesses. A lot of inspiring artists see other professionals and they don't see that they went through a lot of the same issues too before they were cranking out badass art. I want to change this and document myself as I try and correct my own weaknesses.

So onto the meat of the issue here. 4 months and I've sent my folio so just about every studio I can think of. Not so much as even a art test. I did manage to get a single freelance job though. Looking back its clear I am still doing something wrong. I feel like I rushed my self when working on projects where I was doing something new. An example is the Japanese mini scene. This was a first attempt at something not Sci fi and I should have taken my time an did it right but I rushed because I was in a hurry to get a job.

Another issue I have discovered about myself is self doubting. I have a huge folder full of concept art and when I look through it I almost always say "that looks too hard" and I'll end up falling back to Sci fi and working without a concept or reference which at my stage can do no good

So what am I doing to fix this? Well I'm starting a "Texture a day". Where every day I create a different tiling texture. Each day has to be a different material than the last. I am also needing to brush up on my high polling modeling, both hard surface and organic.

I confused stressing over getting a job for working hard. Yeah I would work on stuff for 9-10 hrs a day but when you rush through it all to shove it in your folio it won't help. Different people lean at different rates, I consider my self lucky I realized my biggest short cummings after 4 months.

Just wanted to get this out their so not only do I hold my self to this but so that others know what to expect of me in the future. You are your own worst enemy, I think it's time I stop holding myself back
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    Seriously, I think you should go for a complex environment scene and I don't mean something as overused as the batcave. There's too much nice examples for it already in the films and the games making it hard for you to compete with. Why not surprise your viewers with something they haven't seen already or don't even know? Take something fresh and exciting or take an old game you played and loved like from 2003 or so when the graphics weren't that good. Imagine something how you would do it better and more immersive with today's technology and your talent. At least that's what I would do if I wanted to impress some studios.

Cheers
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as job hunting goes, just sending in your resume to the HR department is going to be of little value IMO. They get hundreds. They have STACKS. I mean, sure, send it in but don't expect that you're done.

Most jobs are found via word of mouth or personal recommendation. Either someone at that company notices you and mentions you to their lead, or you know someone who works there and can drop in a good word for you.

So keep working and, most importantly, stay visible! Start a blog and post here as much as you can. Just sending in your folio and hoping for a call back is going to be a looong road IMO.

Just some advice. You can regard or disregard as you see fit. :)
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    And as Warren already pointed out how important connections are: go to networking events in your local area and national / international if you can afford it. GDC is an awesome opportunity to start networking. Apply as a volunteer if you can't afford the tickets. I did that at the GDC Europe and I can tell you it is really worth it, even as a student.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@Toolpaddz Reworking a environment from a old game is a great idea. Plus no matter what I will look better than the original(or one would hope). As for local networking events. I try but Indiana is a bit barren when it comes to game development.(Have no issues with moving for a job, just throwing that out their)

@WarrenMarshall Thanks for the advice! I always try and stay visible, mostly active on twitter and sometimes google hangouts(for some reason they haven't been working for me lately though. People can see my screenshare but I cant see anyone elses).

I think whats also important here for other artists is to not act like you are begging for a job. That can come off as very annoying and honestly selfish. If you just talk and shoot the shit about art or whatever thats awesome and you will make more friends. But just talking to people about jobs all day everyday will just make them feel used.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Large images incoming!
    Here is a quick image board of a environment that means quite a lot to me. Shenmue was what really pushed me over the edge and made me want to be in the industry. So I have to do this justice or I would never forgive myself.

Also have a map of the entire section and I highlighted in blue what I will be making. This way I have a nice chuck of it done and if I want I can just keep working my way around.

I will need to gather ref or real Japanese building since some of these textures you cant quite make out what they are supposed to be.(the side of Jupiter's jackets to be exact.)
    msvVn.jpg
    GqBfQ.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to let you guys know I changed my website around a bit. let me know what you think! http://alexwellsartist.weebly.com/

More content coming in soon. Been a bit of a delay due to some freelance work recently.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, had a look at your website :) Looking good, I'd advice you to replace the battery with something else though. It's still just a battery, it's good that you know about lodding etc but apply that knowledge to somewhere where it's needed. Like that Shenmue-scene you planned before.

Other than that :) Good to see you're still working hard, I hope you get a position somewhere soon!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks chris! Noted about the battery,I'll remove that once I do my next content update. Shenmue scene was coming along fine but then holidays and freelance got in the way but it should be done soon, along with another scene featuring a crashed spaceship in a public bathroom.

Thanks again for the support chirs! I have no doubt I'll get a position somewhere, just gotta keep working and learning.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    One crit I have for the Human Revolution scene, it seems there might be a little too much noise in the diffuse of your textures, human revolution for memory kept most of its subtle details in the specular channel, with relatively clean diffuse. This made most of the high frequency detail quite subtle.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek Thanks man, ill keep that in mind for the future.

Shenmue scene is still being worked on but its been more of a slow burn. Finished this up though. Let me know what you guys think! Time to focus on the Escape contest for now.

http://alexwellsartist.weebly.com/temple-of-time.html

828528_orig.png

7512868_orig.png

3969688_orig.png

5823040_orig.png
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished up a new prop for well...the prop section.

619787_orig.png
    http://alexwellsartist.weebly.com/misc-props.html
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slight bump, just wanting to get any other opinions on the content I added recently.

Starting full steam on my escape environment. Going to be experimenting with particles and animations so I hope it brings me to the next level.

Also thank you to everyone for all the crits and support.
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    really good and inspiring thread. I'm in a very similar situation as you. Working hard at making my portfolio better and hoping to get a job in the industry sooner rather than later.

I am wondering about something with regards to the DX11 tesselation which you are using, is it actually necessary to use it on a piece such as floors? this is not a dig, but a genuine question... my thinking is that I can't imagine a situation where the player would get at an angle to notice it, and as far as I am aware having tesselation uses memory so I'd have thought using a simple normal map should be enough.

Also a small thing which I think your portfolio could do with is a tri count for your assets to better judge just exactly how game-ready it is.
    Really digging the Temple of Time piece you did for the noob challenge, I took part in that too and it's really interesting to see how similar yet different you've taken the concept.

Keep your head up, pal, work is out there for you