Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Props and other environment stuff

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
I'm going to be doing some environment stuff, hopefully two or three nice props a week for the next two weeks or so.

Did this 60s radio today, took about 5 hours. Crits, comments, optimization and workflow input much appreciated. I don't know a lot about environment and prop stuff, since my focus has been on characters to now.

High-poly ---> Silo
Low-Poly ---> Silo
Bake ---> Xnormal

For the texture I put my normals through Ndo2 to get a diffuse base. I built the diffuse on those maps, then painted grime and scratches over that. When done, I used the diffuse as a template for the spec map. I tried really hard to get some defined materials in there, with the brass, the wood, the plastic and the speaker cloth. That was the hardest part, I did *okay*, but I see places where I was a bit off the mark, particularly with the brass nobs.

Overall, the highpoly took an hour, the lowpoly took an hour, the diffuse took 2 hours and the spec took another 1/2 or so.

xxvi8.jpg
xu7kk.jpg
4W15N.png

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Uhg. My computer crashed so I can't do anymore work to the radio (my textures got flattened). I wanted to fix the UV seams on the corners of the wood, and some minor other stuff.

A new piece -- a survival radio.

High-poly is 90% finished, so onto the low-poly. So far about 4 hours, it was a really complicated piece to model. It was all modeled in subdivision, in silo.

JYyjZ.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man thats a nice radio!

A couple of things though! The wires for your low poly are a bit weird? you should collapse the round bits to the corners like this

wires-2.jpg

Also your uvs are nice and tightly packed but you could have given more space to the wooden parts by mirroring the sides and giving less space to the cream parts as I think you gave a bit too much room for them considering how small the cream parts are.

It looks really nice though!

The high poly of that radio is looking nice too. Though I am confused as to why you cut in the circle bits on the front and then floated the rest of the detail? You could have just floated it all or even used nDo2! I love that prgram!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you, I like your poly edits and the rest of it seems sound.

As for the radio, I'm not gonna float anything this time around. I'll add the front plate via ndo2, and the buttons on top will be their own mesh. I will also add screws and screw recesses via ndo2, but other than that It's all hardmodeled in.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Low-poly and bake for the survival radio. Going to start on textures.

O3F5z.png
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Finished the low-poly and the normals. Just started on the texture, put about 1-2 hours into it so far. I'm working on finding the material definitions, and the right level of wear. I really want to push the details on it.

fl8rx.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    More WIP shots of the radio. Put another two hours into the texture. Still a lot to do.

I'm thinking I'll put a bright blue rubberband around the base of the radio, which will hold the antennae to the side.

NMFJp.png
    FRoFd.png
    jii4k.png
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Alright, I finished. Let me have it polycount.

6ikGQ.jpg
    twOWJ.png
    38JGi.jpg
    puwVW.jpg
    D1pxj.jpg
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    survival radio came out nice!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Turned out pretty good, but I think the scratches on the spec map are a little much, I would just tone it down a bit.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Looking really good. I'd add a little grime to areas where theres grooves that dictate two parts meeting together or near screws.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Started a new project, a kind of mini mech. It's based on a concept that I don't have a source for, so I'll hold off posting it until I find out who did it and see if I can get permission to use it.

Starting the block in. Been taking me a LONG time to get the pieces in order and figured out. The concept isn't super clear about the joints.

XH4gQ.png
  • SniperStealth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking the old radio! I've just started my own radio project a few days ago. My only concern is the specular of the wood. On the sides there also seems to be too many scratches on the wood, that conflict with the direction of the wood grain.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Got two days back to back to work on this thing. It's coming along ... okay.

I am entering the highpoly stage, now that the block-in is almost complete. The last thing I have to do is create some hands, but I'm going to do the rough out of those in zbrush.

I'm testing on the thigh piece my low-to-high and then bake-back-to-low pipeline, and also practicing painting the camo. I think I've got it all down pretty slick now, so it's just about getting the whole thing done.

Some shots. The thigh is low-poly in marmoset, the images of the whole thing on the left are of a high-poly low poly mix in silo. My test bake and run came out pretty clean, especially considering how close some of the wires are, and how tight the cage I used was, but there is some stuff I will change.

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for getting high-high-poly dynamesh (zbrush) unwrapped so that I can bake out a diffuse map. If you have say a sphere in zbrush dynameshed at 2 million polygons, and you apply polypaint to it, and from that you'd like to bake a diffuse map in xnormals, how do you go about unwrapping it?

For me, zbrush just hangs then crashes when I attempt to unwrap it.

jF4wg.png
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    this thread is looking promising!

for baking polypainting you should use AUVTiles (Adaptive UV Tiles) under the UVmap submenu of the Tools Palette.

Set UV Map Border to 0 and then chose a texture size considering that 1pixel of texture space will correspond to a polygon, ex 1024x1024 is enough for roughly 1mil polygons.
    Then under the Texture Map submenu click on New from Polypaint when your polypainting is done to generate a texture that'll suffice for baking in xnormal

hope it helps :D
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks FNI,

I tried a traditional unwrap, which obviously failed as the dynamesh in zbrush is 2 million polygons (too dense to calculate).

I had also tried -- before posting -- a GUVTile map, which is what I normally use for dense meshes. Strangely, this also crashed zbrush.

I tried your suggestion of AUVTile. I am not familiar with it or how it works, so I will do some more research tonight, but in my split second prelim test it gave me an error until I used the settings UVBORDER=0, UVMAP SIZE 8000.

Obviously an 8000X8000 UV map is overkill, and I need to do more to understand what the UVBORDER setting is doing, but the resulting map that I received from zbrush and hence the resulting bake using said map in Xnormals, was fraught with missing texel infomation.

So, while I do my research, if anyone else has any further suggestions about unwrapping zbrush dynamesh objects, I would truly appreciate it.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Still working on a way to get the polypaint baked. It appears I have errors somehow in two meshes which crash zbrush when I attempts to unwrap (no matter what method I use), but the rest of the individual parts are working fine. I imagine it's a simple solution to retopologize and reproject, and unwrap that new mesh.

At any rate, didn't need the polypaint to bake the normals. This image shows all the normals except for on the arms, and the hands are also missing. Other than that it's getting there. This has been one difficult piece. I believe I may have paid too much attention to the leg articulation, but the good news is that it should animate really well.

rXQWS.png
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Update, working on texture.

2_PNG.png
    upload picture
  • rb2610
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the brown patches meant to be rust/dirt or camouflage? Currently it looks more like camo than rust...

That said, if it is meant to be camo it looks damn awesome so far :D
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks. Yeah it's camo -- but if you can't tell it worries me that it's not reading very well.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Trying something a bit more subtle with the camo. Still painting in the texture. Will get to the specular after that.

ReNZK.png

2LseI.png
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look at the upper corner in this image, you have a pretty glaring error that you can easily get rid of and possibly use to your advantage by adding a few more triangles.

Radio.jpg

Saving a few tris in this case is detrimental if its going to cause ugly seams. You might as well exploit the natural material and smoothing breaks of the model. A handful of tris will not slow anything down but players will notice fugly seams in bad places.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @mark --

I completely agree with your assessment. The seams there are massive visual mistakes. I have kept that particular piece out of my profile in the meantime, and will go back to fix it when I'm done with my current piece. It was just a shortsighted unwrap, something I should have caught well before I went on to start the diffuse. I suppose it's also why I'm doing these props -- getting quick and practical experience with the pipeline & process of different types of objects, getting more efficient, and learning to avoid silly errors like these.

I will post when I redo the diffuse and bake, and thanks for the input/time.
  • rb2610
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going for a camo look, I think what made it look a bit like rust in the previous image was that it was a bit sparse and only used 2 colours.

Try adding a third/fourth colour and increasing the ratio of the amount of camo colours compared the base and the variation in the colours (I hope I explained that so it makes sense xD).
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    It's finished. I considered doing the gun, but I didn't believe it was vital to the character to have the weapon finished, so I mocked up a stand-in.

Crits and Comments appreciated.

vDhz5.jpg
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    I dig this thing a lot. I love the foot and ankle construction. I can picture it telescoping inward each time the foot steps down. Excellent stuff!
  • stxtch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stxtch polycounter lvl 5
    Everything looks pretty solid except I notice your spec maps need a lot of work. The wood grain spec on the old radio looks as if no attention was given to it. The survival radio is better but i think could still be more contrasty. Also, if you are using a 3 channel map for spec then try adding some colour variation - it can go a long way to making a surface look rich and believable.