Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xoliul 2.0 Skin Shader Stuff

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Hey Everyone :)

I thought I would start a little thread here to share some Xoliul 2.0 settings that I use, and hope they are useful to someone!

I plan to do a bunch more, and expand upon this current set which is super bare bones.

These are just base settings, sans any textures, and all settings are default except the flat diffuse color, colored spec, half lambert value, shaded hue value and soft reflection adjustments for a rim light.

No sorcery here!

EDIT: I use a dark but saturated red ambient color for pale skin tones (I'm going to play with this a little more over teh coming weeks) and a dark green for the darker skin tones, as it adds that subtle awesome olive feel to the skin.

xoliul_2_0_skin_shader_settings_by_hazardousarts-d56wadc.jpg

Next up I'll add some normal and spec stuff with some more breakdowns, and then after that add a diffuse map in there.

Once its all done I might just make some presets and share those, but for now tweak away!

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty awesome Haz, thanks:)
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome! This will be a huge help since I haven't used Xuliul shader since last version about 1-2 years ago.

Thanks man, I really appreciate everything you do for the community =D
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    sweet!- thanks for sharing.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Geez Haz where were you when I could have used this yesterday?:poly124:

On a more serious note, I'm curious about your skin, when you are setting it up for characters do you apply any of these settings to your entire model or separate the skin portions out? I haven't fully been able to figure it out by looking at your stuff yet (though maybe I'm not looking hard enough!)

Thanks for sharing, this is really helpful!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja wrote: »
    Geez Haz where were you when I could have used this yesterday?:poly124:

I'm from the future, I'll always be one step ahead!!! :P
    Alemja wrote: »
    On a more serious note, I'm curious about your skin, when you are setting it up for characters do you apply any of these settings to your entire model or separate the skin portions out? I haven't fully been able to figure it out by looking at your stuff yet (though maybe I'm not looking hard enough!)

Yeah all my recent models have the skin broken away, skin is one of those things that its good to have seperate control over to all other materials, you want seperate specularity controls, different level of half lambert for skin than you would metal or leather etc.

I guess its like looking at your artwork in a more cinematic way, recently for personal work, I prefer to break things down into materials and have the freedom to have each material look awesome. :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Nice thread. I do a very similar setup to yours. But it never occurred to me to use greens for the darker skintones. I'll have to try that next time.

It would be awesome if there could be a special Skin version of Xoliul with some SSS solution in it. Hopefully mimicking unreal's.

Though unfortunately I can't get Xoliul to work correctly in Max2013, so I stopped using it :(
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    thanks for sharing your knowledge Haz. Looking forward to the further breakdowns
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    This should be on the wiki, I don't know why the wiki is not getting any love.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey haz, this is what preset files are for man! Unless you don't want to share those, but people can get a 1-1 copy of your stuff with that.
    Anyway, great that you are posting this, I've been hoping for a long time you'd do this :) Thanks!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Hazardous wrote: »
    xoliul_2_0_skin_shader_settings_by_hazardousarts-d56wadc.jpg

Looks good Haz; I think your dark skin is really weak atm. The specular range on brown skinned peeps (such as maself) is higher. Super dark people are often quite 'shiny' on appearance because of the way taught skin reacts to light.
    Example:
    cyn3.jpg

I really like a lot of stuff you're doing with the shader, I kinda went for a different approach than you did for my last model:

dw_kaori_001.jpg

Once I get a chance I'd love to throw up my settings too and maybe I could borrow some of your ideas to experiment with it.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey this is pretty helpful, thanks bud
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really really awesome del she has so much character.. o.O
  • saf3hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help . . . now if I could just get my xolilul working :P
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad its useful guys :)

Xoliul: Presets just dont work for me man - it only saves some of the settings not others. ( will pm you a breakdown ) Plus im old fashioned :poly124:, get in there and get your hands dirty is always better :P

Del: Thanks bro, good point! Yeah post up some of your settings when you can! :)

I added a couple more, and tweaked a few values, also dropped a generic head in there to get a better idea than just a sphere.

xoliul_2_0_skin_shader_settings_2_by_hazardousarts-d571qm7.jpg

I'll add some textures to these next!
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noticing your going for a blue spec. I keep going round in my head what colour spec on skin should be, currently going for more a yellow but I'm not convinced. Also do you guys consider changing the spec colour depending on the skin type?
  • T.Bull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T.Bull polycounter lvl 13
    This is pretty cool... I wish I could contribute something constructive xD
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Ikosan wrote: »
    noticing your going for a blue spec. I keep going round in my head what colour spec on skin should be, currently going for more a yellow but I'm not convinced. Also do you guys consider changing the spec colour depending on the skin type?

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64286
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^- really usefull that, makes sense now:) although i swear the only time you post on these forums is to prove me wrong :P
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikosan wrote: »

Good question, my answer is probably quite unscientific in the fact that i tend to always strike a balance between warm and cool, in a rough complimentary/triad palette.

So in the case of skin being generally warm tones, I'll always have a cool fresnel and vice versa for most materials tbh. So often i see warm on warm, and that combination *usually* looks really bad.

Is this realistic ? maybe under some circumstances, but definitely not all, but I think it helps to always try to apply some form of basic color theory to what im working on.

I think those kind of things add that extra dimension to folio pieces and really make them stand above the norm.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The "scientific" reason for blue spec is this:

bluespec.jpg

In my shader, if you use gamma 2.2, that isn't required anymore though. But you can still do it for artistic effect, which is what Haz is doing.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome break down Haz and Xoliul. Pricless info :)
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Wow thanks a lot Xoliul ! This was my 1 million dollar question I never been able to answered until now !
    Thanks to Haz aswell, there's some nice info there ;)
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for those explanations guys, these posts have been really helpful :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teriyaki: Marmoset already does that. My shader can do it too (though I don't force it). I already try to link them up as much as possible. Your results depend a lot on the quality of the cubemap. I still haven't found one I'd consider perfect (in terms of exposure/contrast).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking cool... i think that your specular falloff (glossiness) is set too low giving the skin a nice soft, but unrealistic look, im guessing the skin is at max all over (no map) but the max value looks like it should be your base value when multiplied by a map. as has been said darker skin has higher glossiness...

i have a good white paper at work with real skin brdf values which i can grab the link to if you want...message me and i will get it to you...

theres some usefull info in these too, if you havent already read them.

http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/t.weyrich/projects/phd/weyrich-2006-phd-lowres.pdf
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/wojciech/FaceAnalysis/FaceAnalysis.pdf