Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Raider

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
New project I've started on. Some small inspiration from the Fallout series and RAGE.
Hopefully want to make a model of a Raider from the shoulders up.

(UPDATE)
Completed!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejcOG5r3XU"]UDK - Raider - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started modelling in ZBrush. Began by putting together zspheres. One for each arm, one for the chest, one for the neck and one for the head. Some basic sculpting to get a brief shape going.

tumblr_m6xzatMwfK1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress on the Raider model. Starting to get the helmet shape and more definition around arms/back/chest. Just getting everything scaled properly is most important for now.

tumblr_m6znfapBG71rwocuuo1_1280.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much work done on the high poly model of the Raider. Hovering around 10 million polys. I think it’s just about done except I need to put a few cuts and bruises on the skin. Just about time to paint.

tumblr_m734uwTpRQ1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m734uwTpRQ1rwocuuo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m734uwTpRQ1rwocuuo3_1280.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass for painting the raider. Most work done on the skin so not too much will change for that. However, still much work to do on the helmet. Going to be darker metal with some red and high silver scratches/highlights. Also need to paint the base for the hair.

tumblr_m74z5uJBwt1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg
  • Malarchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that last render looks really great. Heh, it kind of reminds me of a luchador mask. I love the fallout series too, but i dont see this guy as much of a raider at the moment, the squared off slits for eyes and the squared mouth opening make the face look too neutral. I would think the raider's face should convey more emotion, violence, detachment, etc. Which fallout pulls off with the crazy hair styles (mohawks and such) for the former and gas masks for the latter. But of course it's still a wip so you could still pull those emotions out with a more torn up mask or the crazy (what looks like) dreadlock hairstyle in the concept sketch.
    good work though.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Malarchy!
    Yeah I agree as well, so far for me it looks like some type of gladiator with a stone helmet :S

But I'll definitely be making it more volatile/dangerous. Not so much with the shape of the helmet but I've been thinking of adding some type of gang logo painted on the helmet and/or a tattoo on the left shoulder. But yeah, still a bit to do.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update

Worked on the helmet, added heaps of scratches, wear and tear. Got the colours just about done for it. Also painted the bottom layer for the hair, nothing too special because most of it will be hidden by hair sheets.

tumblr_m7au5eTfpE1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished polypainting in ZBrush. So that’s done. Also generated uv’s from lowest sub division level and decimated highest from 10m to around 200k. The texture map is 4k x 4k. Next to do will be the low poly. After that will be the hair and I’m thinking of adding a bullet holder hanging off the right shoulder going around the chest...

tumblr_m7g5tsbj471rwocuuo1_1280.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put together the low poly and UV’s for the Raider model. Didn’t want to lose too much detail so it’s hovering around 7000 triangles. Texture baking turned out good as well. All that’s left is some add-on’s. A belt/bullet holder type thing for around the chest and hair sheets.

tumblr_m7utizn5I41rwocuuo1_1280.jpg
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I can't be the only one who sees the resemblance.

100px-Hevnoraak_Mask.png

Hevnoraak mask from Skyrim?
    (Technically it resembles all the dragon priest masks)

It's looking good. :)

The tattoo looks maybe a bit too crisp. Like it's not under the skin, but painted on top.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Someone finally noticed the mask!

Good spot. I'll tweak the tattoo as well.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to make a belt thing for over the right shoulder. Almost done now. Did much tweaking on the colour of the belt and when that was done I didn’t like the colour of the helmet so I’ve changed that too. Still more work needed on the belt though. After that, all that’s left is the hair.

tumblr_m82coqfayW1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m82coqfayW1rwocuuo2_1280.jpg
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished off the Raider model. Now with the hair, total triangle count is just over 8000 (it’s not over 9000). Main thing is I was surprised with how good the hair turned out. All shots are rendered in UDK, and for some reason the preview lighting actually looked better than production lighting. Overall happy with the result, especially like how the helmet turned out. If I had to do it again I'd probably tweak the belt material so there's not so much repetition in texture.

Putting together a short turntable clip as well so that should be up soon…

tumblr_m884a0Frkw1rwocuuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m884a0Frkw1rwocuuo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m884a0Frkw1rwocuuo3_1280.jpg

Thanks !
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message