Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Reptile

A-Train
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
A-Train polycounter lvl 15
Hey fellow polycounters! Usually I just shove my WIPs in speed sculpting but thought this character deserved it's own thread as I really want to flesh it out till it's done. This threads a place for me to post my WIPS, concepts & ideas.

The concept is pretty simple right now: A big Bane like villain that's a reptile mutant. He's an original character, not necessarily based on anything. Going for stylization. I'm working in Sculptris (done from a sphere) so far, but after I've got the base mesh of him down the plan is to retopo him and bring him into Zbrush. Then on to some accessories, & clothing to fit the character and the visual style. Thanks for viewing!

Feel free to comment/crit :)

In terms of clothing: going for a Mad Max style, armoured shoulder pads, ammo bandolier, etc.

Currently focusing on the legs and some anatomy refinement.
Reptile4.jpg

3rd session (a focus on the hands)
Reptile3.jpg

2nd session (anatomy refinement)
Reptile2.jpg

Here's the first block in (mainly focused on the torso and face)
Reptile.jpg

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Surprised that this hasn't received any comments,
    I think it has some fun proportions and the anatomy is coming along well,
    Those legs need some more dynamic lines, right now they're pretty straight
    The upper torso is looking pretty legit, It would be nice to have a more direct shot of the latest sculpt, though.

gogogo!
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I've been swamped with work for the past while. This update is long overdue, glad to be back at it.

@Shrew81, can't wait for Darksiders II man! Thanks for the comment :)
    Thx for the feedback on the legs, I addressed that in the recent update.

I'm still working on em though, still some more refinement to be done.
    Changed a few large proportions in the body, made him beefier.

Armour up next!

Reptile5.jpg

reptile6.jpg
  • DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great, nice contrast between smooth and sharp. Hilarious little human but too :)

If anything I'd say the center of the back, that v, looks a little odd, the way it is lower than the surrounding muscles. Should that be overlapping bulging columns of spinal muscle?

*edit* I like the hands too!
  • DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    Also perhaps the backs of his knees are maybe a bit over-creasy?
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey bakedbeing, thanks for the crits :) yeah I felt the crease at the back of the leg was a bit too much as well, already toned it down. I didn't catch that V earlier though, thanks for pointing it out. I'll definitely address it!
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, glad to see you are still chipping away on this. Can't wait to see where you go with the armour :-)
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    I think it's looking pretty sweet. I like the proportions a lot. I think it would be cool to see his forms and muscles get a bit chunkier, like harder and rockier, maybe his chest could stay softer/fleshier?? Also would be cool to see those spikes on his back bigger and chunkier as well. It's looking good! Keep it going!!! Might be cool to see some cool bone tusks coming out of other areas as well, like at the elbows/forearms, knees or something too.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Owl thanks man I'll definitely put the chunky/harder element into the armour to contrast the rounded character anatomy. Either that or if you show me how to make him more harder/chunkier in some areas yet retain his silhouette and meatiness then i'm game. Instead of demon/horn references (ala darksiders); I'll be using roman gladiators as a reference point (specifically their armour and how their bodies are more exposed, with a bit armour sprinkled through the body) think Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Meaning I can involve some lion/dragon/demon-like animal faces into the shoulder and armour pads! I'm leaning towards that more than the Mad Max-esque armour at the moment, but may blend a bit of that theme in.

Definitely will go with some chunkier spikes that are bone, get some of that chunky goodness in that area for sure. Hmm nice one, bone tusks out of the elbow/forearm sounds pretty cool. I could work that in.

@Eyo Thanks brah! Owl worked at Vigil on Darksiders II, he just started working here. Have fun at Osheaga, I have no idea what wizardry you threw down to get tix...but you are one lucky dude!

@Amile duan thanks!