Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ps1 low poly naga quest.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
there a naga character i'm working on, took me some weeks because it was only done with 3ds max and photoshop without 3D painting, kind of epic exercice XD

my goal is to make a ps1 low poly character since it will turn to be a game inspired by breath of fire games. (not the ps2 version) i did studyed various ps1 games for to see how they made the textures.

well, there the pic :

naga_v1.png

and there the download content that you can check how it look like, you're welcome to give me feedback or critique or even too you can use it as a SDK training for only texture :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14183130/naga_quest/naga_quest.rar

enjoy !

Replies

• Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Looks great.

Only problem is the texture files. Combine them all into 1. What you have now is really bad, because the GPU has to render 4 small batches.

Material changes need to happen as infrequently as possible. And small batches can be killer.
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you were right about that problem, it's why i did split inot 3 body part for to avoid the problem but did you know that a game like donkey kong barrel blast on wii did use that way ? look at this for example :

Kalypso_SSB_trophy.jpg

and here the texture work from this character :

kalypso.png
    or in final fantasy IX, they did split in different textures for one character too, there Bahamut for example :1020141.jpg

his textures :
    Bahamut.png

you can check other example on this site : http://www.textures-resource.com/ you will learn alot by looking at these textures like i do.
  • Kdogma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am no 3d artist, but in the 2+ years I have worked at a game studio I have never seen anyone use multiple texture sheets for 1 model unless they absolutely had to. The goal should always be to get as much bang for your buck as possible in the texture sheet... often the goal would be to use 1 texture sheet for multiple models, not the other way around.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure this technique is obsolete.
    The original Half-Life models had 20 64x64 or 32x32 textures but that doesn't mean anyone would still do it that way today.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    I think the PS1 texture limit was 128x128 and PS2 was 256x256, so they had to use a bunch of textures to get the res they wanted. Generally the less separate textures the better, unless you have some swappable parts or something going on. Still, that site's an awesome resource to check out how it used to be done.

Your work is looking cool so far. Some more contrast and definition could be nice. I'd keep an eye on your UV island padding, looks like you're getting some bleeding in a few areas. Like around the midsection where his tail connects to his torso causing a green line in some views and on the head/hair.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    if your going to use ps1 technique... then your going to need to compress colours down to 32 (i think its been a while.....like a long time...)

it was another reason why you needed to split textures up so you would have red bits on one texture green bits on another to make the most out of the colours you had per texture
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdogma wrote: »
    I am no 3d artist, but in the 2+ years I have worked at a game studio I have never seen anyone use multiple texture sheets for 1 model unless they absolutely had to. The goal should always be to get as much bang for your buck as possible in the texture sheet... often the goal would be to use 1 texture sheet for multiple models, not the other way around.

true, i did split the model into each part for each texture as you explained.

Slaught wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this technique is obsolete.
    The original Half-Life models had 20 64x64 or 32x32 textures but that doesn't mean anyone would still do it that way today.

false, check the game done for smartphone, they still use that techniques, even recent game like batman arkham city still use this technique.

HntrLuc wrote: »
    I think the PS1 texture limit was 128x128 and PS2 was 256x256, so they had to use a bunch of textures to get the res they wanted. Generally the less separate textures the better, unless you have some swappable parts or something going on. Still, that site's an awesome resource to check out how it used to be done.

Your work is looking cool so far. Some more contrast and definition could be nice. I'd keep an eye on your UV island padding, looks like you're getting some bleeding in a few areas. Like around the midsection where his tail connects to his torso causing a green line in some views and on the head/hair.

you were right about the texture size, occasionnally, they use a 256x256 for ps1 game but that was used for landscape.

yep, i have some problem with padding because i can't afford cinema 4D or 3dcoat the moment, i don't like the photoshop system (cs4) so, i just have to deal with it by using a 3D software that do preview the 3D model.

SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    if your going to use ps1 technique... then your going to need to compress colours down to 32 (i think its been a while.....like a long time...)

it was another reason why you needed to split textures up so you would have red bits on one texture green bits on another to make the most out of the colours you had per texture

thx for this information, i did noticed something in final fantasy IX, their textures use only 256 colors, some were litterally less colors like you suggested. i think i will try to stick at that limit, if it's possible of course.

by the way, thx everyone for some additionnal information.