Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baby Death Knight - WoW Fan Art

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Here is a little fella that I started a over the weekend based o nsome conceprt art in "The Art of WoW"

You will have to try and ignore some of the scruffy areas like the teeth on the boots, I have been playing around with all of the major forms etc trying to get the colour balance right. I still need to add some classic wear and tear to the character.

I am going to add some more alphas to the model to break up the hair and to add some cool aura glow to the eyes, as I still have 50 tri's to play with.

He is currently 1,950 tri's, The weapon is 320 tri's.
The character uses 2 256x256 textures and the sword is 128x256.

I might also have a play around and see what they look like at even lower resolutions.

MichaelBarnes_DeathKnightWIP.jpg

I hope you guys like him :)

Replies

• Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe, awesome stuff. Diggin the moehawk
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    See if you can get more contrast in the texture. Right now it just looks plain. Maybe even just tinting in a little color instead of all gray. Could add some scrapes on the knees.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hang10 - Thanks , it should look good with some more alphas :)

dpadam450 - Your right, it does seem pretty flat. I will see if I can work some more light into it, make the shoulders and helmet stand out.

I am hoping that the scratches and stuff will add to the contrast aswell.

-- UPDATE --

Here is a tiny update, I have managed to finish blocking everything in.

michaelbarnes_deathknight3.jpg
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe give him some dark blue/purple AO using a gradient effect that fills out into the rest of the armor. Possibly see how the armor looks with more colour on it and have a look at maybe adding in some baked spec highlights in places, alot of WoW art uses baked lighting i think.

But yeah, looks pretty cool to me :) like a lil' gnome!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man , you raised some good points there. The gradient of AO has really helped make the chest area appear believable.

I have also brightened up some of the armour but I am not sure if the knee pads are too bright now.

-- UPDATE --

I have managed to get lots done today. I still need to play around with the contrast and fine details.

I have added the extra planes to the hair to bring the character up to 2000 tri's.

michaelbarnes_deathknight3-1.jpg

I think I am going to make the skull on the sword much darker as it doesnt seem to fit in with the rest of the colours.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I created a little comp to see how the colours matched up etc and they were too bright and contrasting for the background so I have made a paint over. I am going to apply the same adjustments to the textures and create a mini scene to show this guy off.

michaelbarnesWoWcomp-2.jpg