Old (#1)
Hi guys.

I decided to enter on Mixamo's contest. I'm currently working on the development of the char, but I'm already creating the thread... So you can be aware of what type of char is, and help me to figure out if it's something out of purpose or no.

My char will be a knight... of God. Uriel, known as the Angel of Repentance, or the Angel of Death. In my storyline, he acts like a soldier of God, coming to Earth when war and tirany goes under control. Then, Uriel comes to destroy mundane armies, like they were pieces of shit, and to restore peace. This way, mankind can see who is the boss, and avoid to use violence without reason, until they forget, and start the same bullshit again.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********

Final images:

Last edited by JR; 08-17-2012 at 06:24 AM..
Offline , polycounter, 1,233 Posts, Join Date Dec 2006, Location Brazil  

Old (#2)
For inspiration, gather all (old) World of Darkness material, various online sources. Also check "the Prophecy" series.

Perhaps consider that as a higher being, he may have many forms, depending on what dimensional level he materialises in.
http://ravanna.wix.com/portfolio

Eeels up inside 'ya
Offline , spline, 155 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location South West England Send a message via Skype™ to Ravanna  

Old (#3)
Your theology looks a little muddled, but it should make for an evocative piece nonetheless if you can pull it off well.
Tipping cows in fields Elysian.

Portfolio: www.jackablade.com
Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,291 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#4)
Sounds cool, reminds me of some greek mythology. Nice! But yeah the theology as Jackablade says, seems a bit muddled.
Artist at Facepunch Studios
Linkedin l Website
Offline , polygon, 520 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location United Kingdom  

Old (#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLH View Post
more than words
XD this guy, lol

I would look at some Diablo 3 concept art for inspiration. The angels in that game look so fucking cool.
"I greatly appreciate any advice, tips, tricks, knowledge, feedback and/or any critique on my work." Thanks!
Portfolio - Associate Environment Artist @ Crystal Dynamics.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,378 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location San Jose  

Old (#6)
Haha, thanks guys. My theology looks muddled propositaly, I dont believe in God, angels or religion in general. I'm just doing a character to represent the system of control that christian God (and religion, in a general way) is.

About the style, I hope not to disapoint you, but I'm not using refs from other games, but medieval art (byzantin and gothic). I believe first concept will be here soon.

Old (#7)
It wouldn't hurt to do a little reading on Judeo-Christian theology on wikipedia. There's plenty of fun fantastical elements that you could draw from.

Sariel actually fits your description fairly well - He's the archangel of death (equivalent of the Islamic Azrael) and amongst his orders is "to eradicate particularly widespread vices of a city or a whole district and transform into all virtues" which could pretty easily be interpreted in the way that you describe in your opening post.

Offline , Counter of Polys™, 6,291 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#8)
In fact I did a research, but I got to admit there was some months ago, when I had the idea to make this char for the first time. I remember that Sariel (AKA Metatron too) took my attention, but I didn't pick him because some fonts say that he was one of the fallen rebel angels. Some other fonts say that Metatron was human, before to be an angel (he was the prophet Enoch), and this way, he couldn't be considered one of the "original" angels. So, I decided to chose Uriel. In Wikipedia, it's said:

Quote:
Uriel is often identified as a cherub and angel of repentance. He "stands at the Gate of Eden with a fiery sword," or as the angel who "watches over thunder and terror." In the Apocalypse of Peter he appears as the Angel of Repentance, who is graphically represented as being as pitiless as any demon. In the Life of Adam and Eve, Uriel is regarded as the spirit (i.e., one of the cherubs) of the third chapter of Genesis. He is also identified as one of the angels who helped bury Adam and Abel in Paradise.
And those bold part took my attention. This justify my choice. Anyway, I'm not taking this so seriously, because how I stated on my forst post, this is MY storyline, not the official one. We can always take some artistical freedom to make our chars

Old (#9)
And finally, an image. This is basically the plan. It's still WIP, more to come.

Last edited by JR; 06-30-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old (#10)
Ahh man this is going to be awesome. You taking the hand painted approach?
Life's too short for rendering.
ArtStation: http://gilesruscoe.artstation.com/
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,737 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010,  

Old (#11)
Thanks! Yeah, oldschool style

Old (#12)
i really like the proportions and design, going to look very cool in 3d. : D
i think its just the angle but his sword looks a lot like a light saber to me [intentional?]
Offline , spline, 137 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location england  

Old (#13)
No, it's his "fiery sword". It's a metal sword, with flames. I don't want that looks like a light saber, so I will work a but more on it. Thanks!

Old (#14)
Love that style haha looks awesome
My portfolio http://lukapavlovich.carbonmade.com/ --- Add me on steam >>> tehsplatt
Offline , polygon, 559 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011, Location New Zealand Send a message via MSN to TehSplatt  

Old (#15)
I like the classical statue hairstyle you've given him. It might be interesting to really push the sculptural motif.

Bayonetta had some pretty interesting Baroque inspired character designs.

Old (#16)
very cool! good luck man
Offline , triangle, 393 Posts, Join Date Jun 2010, Location Austin Send a message via AIM to RiotForQuiet  

Old (#17)
looks great so far, and finally someone doing a male character!
Good luck!
Offline , spline, 160 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location Romania  

Old (#18)
The design is coming along great jramauri.

I'd maybe make the wings longer to push the form and to add more of a regal look to him. Maybe you could play around with the idea of a halo. You could have have a ring of runes, some elaborate armour design around the neck, etc.
PORTFOLIO - 3D Generalist at PixelBomb Games
Guardians of the Galaxy Star-Lord Thread (WIP)
Offline , polygon, 620 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011, Location Newcastle, UK  

Old (#19)
Thanks guys! I didn't have much time to spend on this on sunday... But is slowly progressing.

Old (#20)
digging the style, can't way to see a 3d translation.
Offline , spline, 120 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011,  

Old (#21)
mixamo, thanks!

Old (#22)
Really like the armor! Keep it up!
Offline , line, 77 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location MA  

Old (#23)
Ahh, finally something more caricature! It looks interesting. Can't wait to see your next post.
Offline , line, 63 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location UK Send a message via Skype™ to GemmaSuen  

Old (#24)
Finally some progress. I'm not having time to work on this project on week days, hence the slugsh update rhythm. Anyway, there goes some steps. This is the blockout of shapes in Zbrush.

And here is the early cleanup in Maya. To be honest, this stage of cleaning things, worry about edgeloops, and polycounts, and after do UV mapping is so boring to me that I feel tempted to leave this project behind and go painting or sculpting something else.

Old (#25)
Looking good! The head looks a bit thin maybe? (reads a bit more like abe lincoln right now)
The neck bothers me, but I don't know what to suggest that wouldn't kill the design, other than bringing the shoulder/clavicle up more towards the center of the neck porthole.
Offline , polycounter, 1,179 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location South Dakota Send a message via ICQ to throttlekitty Send a message via AIM to throttlekitty Send a message via Yahoo to throttlekitty