Home Technical Talk

3DSMax viewport problem.

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
So I decided to change from Maya to Max today, installed everything fine and I boot it up. I go into shaded mode and the mesh starts blurring and moving across the screen. When I go into wireframe mode, it stops.

After working for a while in wireframe mode, I changed to realistic and the object starts shaking, with the viewport turning red and yellow. I've googled everything I can think of and can't find anything. Here's some screenies:

In shaded view:
5ehnaq.jpg

In realistic view:

svndrr.jpg

My system specs:

2niqixw.jpg
My graphics card is an ATI mobility Radeon HD 4330

Thanks!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A laptop with a ATI mobile graphics chip... ouch. Hopefully that graphics chip has more memory detcated specifically to it. If it has to share the 3gb with the system I'm not sure there is enough left over to get max up and running.

I'm not a big fan of ATI, I've always had trouble with their drivers, you never really know if updating the drivers will make things better or worse but its worth a try. Unfortunately you are at the mercy of Dell for the drivers so hopefully they have something that is up to date...

Realistically I think you are under the min spec for Max and you'll be lucky if you can improve much of anything, but start with a video driver update.

You can try switching max to OpenGL or Software mode. Customize > Preferances > Viewports Tab > Choose Driver.

Best of luck!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Oh well, thanks for the information Mark I really am grateful :) Wish I wasn't such a poor student and could afford a really nice set up. What a bummer!!