Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Next Gen Trucker Guy

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
Hey Everyone, I've been working on this guy on and off for the last couple of months. I'm allllmost done with the high poly, just a couple of little things that have been bothering me, along with any crits you guys make.

Progress wise, I've made the low poly and I'm just finalising the uv's, then I'm going to polypaint most of the parts then finish up the textures in PS.

Anyway, please let me know what you think and any crits you've got would be really helpful.

Cheers

I think I got a bit carried away with the background of the render....

hNi5d.jpg

CURRENT PROGRESS:

L6oOj.jpg

hW5zf.jpg

LyI82.gif

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Damn. Really great cloth modeling here. The face, where the nose connects to the brow and the eyes corner their way into that whole deal, could use some work. Also he seems to be a fairly average build, but he has a super fat neck. It exists in the real world, but it doesn't read great here.

Still though: damn. Well done.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The attention to detail is great. Looking forward to seeing him textured.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    the detail is amzing, great folds.
  • buhtichka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow! ... amazing ...
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    ysalex: yea i'm not too happy with the face, it definately needs some small tweaks before i bake it. I'll have a look at the neck, if it's too big I'm probably going to scale it down in the lowpoly as it'll only be a pretty small tweak, I was going for a pretty big build guy though.

Tobbom snake and buhtichka: thanks a lot, really kind of you guys
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The face is fighting with itself in terms of weight. You've given him a somewhat pudgy look, but at the same time have strongly defined cheekbones. This is what causes the top half of the face to look skinny but the lower half (+ neck) to look fat. I'd make the neck and chin a bit less chubby, and the cheekbones softer to come at an average shape of mildly fat.

His thumb looks rather short, too, and the cap and shoe-noses a bit large.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thumb mouth and nose feel a bit on the tiny side, the detailing on the clothes is really really nice man! esp the jacket.
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visually it works, I can easily imagine him killing a hooker with a hammer. Great work :)
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Great work man! some really nice folds. The weight/ fat distribution seems off on the face though. the top half of the face seems like an average build and the lower half a fatter build. I'd also look at widening the nose slightly. The chest looks a bit bare compare to the neck (in terms of detail/form), but I'm just nitpicking. Kick ass work, can't wait to see the low poly and some bakes.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Great work, I agree with with what everyone else has said.

I have a tiny nit picky comment. It seems like the compression folds on the boots, especially the back left boot, seem to be off. It seems to look like the same material as the trouser cloth on that angle.

Other than that , awesome work!
  • MGM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGM polycounter lvl 12
  • marcinLDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice sense of scale with all of the detailing. Makes it feel very realistic. Great Job!

Like others have said, the ratios of the hand seem off. The thumb is stubby, yes, but I also would say the medial phalanges of the index and Middle fingers are a little long too. Here are a couple observations I've made (and I'm sure so many others have made as well) which help me maintain nice human looking hands and keep away from E.T. or Chimp hands, lol:

Take a look at this xray of the hand. Speaking in general terms, the proximal phalanx of each of the fingers is almost the length of the medial and distal combined. So in this model's case, I don't think that ratio is matching up quite right. And then, once the finger length is established, the tip of the thumb will normally fall within the second half of the proximal phalanx of the index finger when swung up beside it. There is a bit of variance to that thumb rule, I've seen. For instance, my thumb is longer and lines up with the second knuckle, however, I know people with that "toe-thumb" thing going on, and they have a similar ratio as your model does. So really, I guess what you have currently with the thumb and length of fingers is within the realm of possibility respectively, but when combined; short thumb with long fingers, it looks strange.
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great dude, especially the folds on his clothes and skin. His face looks younger than I would expect from a trucker. I think it's the size of the eyes and mouth that are causing that.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    You have such great detail, all throughout this character, but the face is falling short. I agree that it looks like a mix between a normal Guy and a fat one. Something weird is happening around the eyes, also break up the smoothness with wrinkles, pimples, scars, pores, what have you. But great job overall man, kudos!!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the great crits.

I've been on holiday for the last week so haven't got as much done as I would like, but I'm trucking along (GET IT?)... Here's some texture progress, I'm having a seperate sheet for the head and arms etc, so just clothes. I've only just blocked in the feet, they need plenty of work, I'll post up better shots when I get more done.

As for the head, a lot of you guys were not feeling the head at all, so I think I'm probably going to re-do it completely, I reckon it'll be a better learning experience that way.

8T1VF.gif

Let me know what you think so far, all crits welcome. Thanks a lot

EDIT: Just realised I haven't posted any wires or anything either, I'll post those up when i make a bit more texture progress too...
  • JohnnyCrespo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty awesome. Good details.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Ooooh. Nice material definition.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that gif is making me dizzy, pretty groovy though :)
    not too sure about how the skirt is only half-tucked, but then stuck behind the belt buckle, that feels a little unnatural.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Looks neat so far! I'm really digging the folds you've got going on. Just curious- what was your inspiration behind this?
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    wow, looks awesome! Textures are lookin' nice.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Looks killer!! good job!
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    just noticed that the leather boots seems a bit too specular/glossy for some hold working boots.

also for the coat you could add alot of details in your gloss map by making by making the light borwn/beige spots less glossy.

if you could psot you maps it could be great!

great job again!
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Nice eay subject this one, good to see it taking shape.

I'd say the folds around the sleeves could do with another pass as it appears like a rubber suit the way some of the folds intersect. And I'm in full agreement with Fred2303 regarding the specular values - tone them down as that's adding to that rubber/plastic feel.

For ideas on where you could take the materials, check out this model: http://josemlazaro.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Ben.jpg
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Great texture job! Can't wait to see the updated face :)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey acey! Your new piece is shaping up to be a real treat. But my only problem is the folds in the sleeves. They just don't seem to fit the material as well as the main section of the coat. But I do love the leather texture.

Keeping working away at it mate!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys

Scuds: Yea it made sense at the time, there's a few things bothering me about design choices I made, but it's probably too late to fix it for the most part, and I really wanted to show off the belt buckle!

OrganisedChaos: That's a good question, I think it was just to try and make a regular guy who would hopefully be believable and human, rather than going with some overdone trope like making him a zombie survivor, or a space marine. Not that I don't like zombie survivors or space marines...

Fred: Thanks! Yea the spec was a very WIP, in fact the boots were very WIP. Hopefully look better in this update, though I'm yet to make a gloss map which currently makes some specular highlights look off.

whw: That dude is weirdly similar to mine, maybe the generic trucker in everyones head looks like that, or I'm subconsciously plagerising! weird... I'll definately look into the specular stuff when i start getting the other components into place.

I think I'm struggling to be objective about the texture at the moment, so I think I'm going to try and move onto the other parts, and hopefully by the time that's done, I'll have some fresh eyes for this part again.

8qayx.jpg

35ER9.gif
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    damn that coat is off the hook
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome. Great model/texture so far. For me the jacket is good but I think the colours are off a bit unless it's the lighting setup. lol for some reason it reminds me of that Eddie guy from silent hill 2.
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man, only a few nit picks from me. The coat and boots are too glossy and the ao is too strong on the coat. Perhaps you could enhance the silhouette a bit more. GOGOGO!
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow impressive.

The Wrinkles on the sleeves don't make much sense though , reason being that if there is so much tension there and nothing to hold the sleeves back they would naturally decompress..
    Wrinkles are cool but they exist due to tension and gravity in the cloth, my advice is don't overdo them without understanding why they are there to begin with because it gives the impression that you just throw them in there.

I second the comment about the gloss.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with this^^ but you could probably fix it just by tightening the cuffs around his forearms (there's an obvious gap atm) and adding a very slight inflation around his elbows. I usually wear my sleeve's rolled up but even just pulled up (like his) that's the usual result.
  • guhhh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guhhh polycounter lvl 9
    Texture + specular looks really great!!!
    Is this render in marmoset? How do you create this turnable gif ?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Looks really nice. I think there is too much lighting information in the diffuse channel for the jeans. They look like someone airbrushed onto all the peaks and valleys.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks so much for all the crits guys, I just want to respond to a few of your points:

El Scorcho:
    Yea the boots actually have very low spec, but i added a few splashes of specularity to make it seem as if he had some oil or something splashed onto them, but I think I overdid it and it clearly isn't reading right, so I need to go back and look at that. Totally agree about the AO, I'll tone it down next edit. When I have all the low poly elements together, I'll take a look at tweaking the low poly model, and making silhouette adjustments, stitching things up etc. Thanks again.

The_blenderer and Scudz:
    The tension is created from the cuffs being tight against the forearms, if you push your sleeve up on a thick jacket like that, I think the wrinkles are as you'd expect, though maybe the problem is as Scudz points out that there's a gap between the jacket and the arm in the low poly model, This is a result of the elements being modelled and baked seperately and put together, I'll definately fix this when i come to tweak the low poly model, hopefully it will look more believeable for you guys then.

AlecMoody: Couldn't agree more, this was the thing bothering me the most as well, will definatley remedy this, I levelled my polypaint too much which created too much contrast, it's on my to do list!

Guhhh: It's rendered realtime in max with the Xoliul shader. Best way to render out a turntable is to use the Xoliul grabviewport script (that way you can save out larger resoloution realtime videos), tell it to save out an animation, then save this as in avi. Then open 32bit photoshop (has to be 32bit photoshop, 64 will not work) then go to file>import>video file to movie (or something along those lines) and that should bring all your frames in. Then it's just a case of treating it like a normal gif, adjust the time each frame is on for (mine is on 0.2 seconds) then go to file>save for web and pick gif from the dropdown box.

I'm currently working on the reworked head, should have it finished in a day or 2. Thanks again for all the feedback, it's been incredibly useful
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    here's an update to the head, let me know what you think

blhVW.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking great. Face has a very natural weight to it.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    I totally promise I'm still working on this guy

Had some freelance work to do, and some holiday so haven't been able to put as much time into this as I would like. Fortunately, the end is somewhat in sight...

things still needing addressed:

- New face texture, I'm going to largely overhaul the face texture, because I don't like it
    - I know his chest is weirdly emply right now, that needs fixed
    - Hair is yet to be touched
    - Inner mouth needs textured
    - Still haven't made gloss maps and spec maps are very temporary, so that needs doing
    - He needs a caruncula in the corner of his eyes, as well as some other eye tweaks to get those next gen eyes, also eyelashes and eyebrows!

Please let me know what you think, the more feedback the better

K9v3E.jpg

Txu8R.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everything I was gonna mention is in your to-do list, so nice update:)

The last pic is super zombie-face fyi;)
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    here's an updated gif:

FiXF8.gif
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    As an avid user of jeans, I can say the bottom part of the jeans looks a little funny (then I again, my jeans are skinny fit, but they still don't like that..)
  • arun nagar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arun nagar polycounter lvl 8
    May be it's only me, but i think distance between these two eyes should be little less..... or are you following any particular face/reference for this guy?
    otherwise everything looks good to me.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, finally finished this guy up, had some freelance work to take care of, and a holiday in Korea!

Anyway please let me know what you think of this dude, and any feedback on my general presentation etc, any views you think don't work or look weird for whatever reason, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

PS sorry for so many images

L6oOj.jpg

8iyvq.jpg

udjc6.jpg

PeGHG.jpg

SYa6x.jpg

TbuEY.jpg

hW5zf.jpg

hDkCa.jpg

0hbKv.jpg

LyI82.gif
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    This turned out great! Really good work and a wonderful portfolio piece. The material work on that jacket turned out amazing.
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it, if its a portfolio piece why dont paint in some subtle AO in the diffuse texture for the eyes to root them or maybe vertex paint directly on the mesh, made a quick example:
    eyes.gif
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaut polycounter lvl 7
    This looks awesome! Great portfolio piece for sure.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty great man. I really love this piece.

My only crit (since you asked for some) is that I think it could use a bit more AO-type shadows here and there. Say where the hat meets the head, the shirt sleeves meet the arms, the shirt meets the chest, the pants meet the shoes, and like Delerium said with the eyes.

Looks real cool otherwise though. Good job dude.
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Your textures are slick dude! You really nailed his jacket :)

No crits from me, just wanted to say awesome work!!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    awesome work, well done :)
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I think it turned out great!
    You could do some touch-ups on the final renders but I wouldn't really worry about it.
    You've got a great high quality model here. Definitely into your portfolio!