Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mak 90 - Portfolio Piece

GummiEnte
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GummiEnte polycounter lvl 10
Hi
At the momtent I am working at my first big portfolio piece. I've done the highpoly and the lowpoly (which consists of 9410 Tris) so far.
C&C much appreciated!

HP:
HP.jpg

LP (Normal & AO):
front.jpg
back.jpg

Wires:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44410892/wires.jpg

Replies

• SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Nice piece! Only one thing hurt my eyes:
    Dh415.jpg
    In red area was the thing, if you have some time fix please: in normal map with Photoshop (nDo or nVidia/xNormals filter, or something)
    OR rebake normals with green lines added to lowpoly (not proper way)
    I wait to texture, cuz i like this gun so much!
  • GummiEnte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this thing looks odd in the normal map. I will try to fix it and post some texture updates in the next days.

Thanks for your comment!
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    This is truly amazing!!! i wish i would be good like you. what sofware are you using....looks like 3ds max. Would u recommend switching from Maya to 3ds max? How did you become this good?

Thanks alot
  • GummiEnte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture update!
    I'm not totally satisfied with the result and think that there is still room to improve, so I would love to get some feedback:)

Rifle_LPTexture2.jpg

Rifle_LPTexture.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    it's looking good so far, I'd say there's definately more you can do with the texture, and I have a bit of an issue with the green: Why is it green? If it's green because the soldier who owns it decided to spray it green, then why would he strip the gun and only spray the reciever and the sights? It should be sprayed over the majority of the gun, like here:

762mmaussiesnipergoodcamoexceptface.jpg

You could also maybe just go for stripes of green over the majority of the gun.

I think you've done a good job on the scratched paint surface, however the plastic parts and the sight and ris grip thing are all quite plain and there's not a lot going on with them to define the material that they are. It's looking good overall though, so i'm sure you'll finish it up nicely
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Texture is looks a bit fulbright, please use darker diffuse and shiny spec/gloss maps. And VERY IMPORTANT: turn off "Exposure control in viewport". Of you turn off, the texture is loosk correcly in max viewport (i hope you use XoliulShader 2).
  • GummiEnte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comments.
    @mr_ace: I will try to improve the plastic parts. The whole gun is not painted green because I thought that it would improve the readability at distances (with the contrast of the dark plastic stuff and the green metal) but I know it looks a bit weird at the moment.

@Spyff: This time I tried the 3PointShader :) And thank your for the advice with the "exposure control" thing!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    the green doesn't look good at all. it seems way out of place. If you must keep it tweek the values a bit so it works. i think less green would be better or just make it tan...
  • GummiEnte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    second attempt:

tFront2.jpg
    tback2.jpg

This time I tried to make it look like the plastic stuff was painted and is now worn out. Furthermore I tweaked the green paint a bit so that it should look less out of place.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    It really feels flat, I'd take a look at millenia's gun tutorial or racer's texturing one. Also I agree tan would look better, it't just that often, for whatever reason, green with a lot of details can look REALLY overwhelming to the eye, I don't know if that's me, but I have noticed that with most people's work lately, or break it up a bit with other earthy colors. That's it, I think breaking it up would look really nice. Even if you look at that ref, there is black showing, so make the sight black, maybe the butt, the front aim. That's me, but I think it would REALLY look a lot easier to look at.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I think you need to crank up the spec and maybe the lighting. Right now, the lighting looks too diffused, like it's really cloudy outside, and it's making it hard read the details.
  • GummiEnte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback guys, really appreciate it!

Update:
    rifle_tan.jpg
    Rifle_tan2.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Its still too clean, it lacks the story, and more color splitting up imo. There are strong scratches on the mag, but the rest is totally clean. Look at it this way. What would it look like depending on movement. Pretend you have been fighting with that long enough that the mag has scratching that big, then what would the rest of the gun look like?
  • GummiEnte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a break with this project I decided to make another texture version.
    I would love to hear some critique at this point!

Rifle_Front.jpg

Rifle_back.jpg
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man lookin sweet :D Since the metal seems to be pretty worn, it would make sense some of the Camo paint to have some wear to it aswell. Try some black scraches :D The mag itself also seems to need some work since it looks very flat atm, same with the RDS.(Maybe add that spec texture u had for the main body) Love the tape on the mag tho :D
    BTW may i ask what school u are going to :D
  • GummiEnte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply!
    I will give it a try :)
    BTW may i ask what school u are going to :D
    I go to the university of applied siences in Berlin.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GummiEnte wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!
    I will give it a try :)
    I go to the university of applied siences in Berlin.

Is it a good school, cause I might consider going there :D
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    One detail you're missing is a lot of extra wear right around where the soldier carries it, and surface that would be adjusted a lot through use, or near them.

For example, the pistol grip would see a lot of wear, including the trigger guard. The forward grip area would also see a lot of wear, not just from handling the gun, but from resting it on cover.

The back stock would see wear on the bottom and back. The cocking lever/ejection port, and the surfaces near it would definitely see a lot of wear since that part is sliding back and forth rapidly with each shot, and after reloading the soldier is also handling that level to reset the gun, putting wear on the area around it.