Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

arenanet babe - ericdigital

ericdigital
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
Current**

EricHart_ANTest_006.jpg

Hey guys decided to join in on this Arenanet fun. I'm doing the chick and this is what I have so far.

Still a lot to do but hoping to finish the high poly this weekend. Everyone's work so far looks great!

arenanet_005.jpg

will post updates once I get some more stuff/refinement on her. Feedback very appriciated :)

Replies

• ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

arenanet_007.jpg

arenanet_008.jpg

Pretty close to finished with the HP minus redoing some fur and adding a few small odds and ends. Scared to try to squeeze this all down to size :(
  • sofabound
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sofabound polycounter lvl 9
    this is all kinds of amazing! I think you've got a pretty great shot, dude.
    the only crit I have would be to make the area around her eyebrows come forward a little- it's kind of like the hairs are just pasted there and don't really have structure beneath it.
    everything else is just tops, though. great work- looking forward to seeing the finished product!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Really liking your high poly man. I think maybe you'll want to make the legs/bottom half a little longer, she looks sort of shortened currently compared to the concept.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits and encouragement guys! :)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    arms too long/forarms too short.
    This is probably not easy to fix now but this is the most "shocking" part to me.
    Maybe the neck is a bit big/massive too
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was sticking out to me too noors, going to work on it tonight, thanks :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys here is my current progress:

arenanet_013.jpg

arenanet_010.jpg

Everything is to spec currently, 6500 tris on the dot with a 1024 and greyscale alpha.

I still need to texture the fur and her hair and touch up some stuff. I also need to work on the lighting since it looks a bit washed out to me on my work monitor now. Hoping to wrap it up tonight :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHart_ANTest_001_S.jpg

EricHart_ANTest_004.jpg

EricHart_ANTest_005.jpg

EricHart_ANTest_002.jpg

EricHart_ANTest_003.jpg

Was a fun project and I learned a lot. I might go back and pose her and there is some things I would like to improve but this is all I have time for right now. Thanks for looking :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHart_ANTest_006.jpg

EricHart_ANTest_004_S.jpg

Just a couple extra pics and some small tweaks
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    This turned out really great, the metal looks fantastic.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I think the eyes are too big

Other than that amazing
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    It's a nice sculpt though I feel your textures are very 1 dimensional. A lot of the same color under occlusion. Not much hue transition. I would advise in the future to spend a lot more time texturing. If you give texturing as much love as you gave your sculpt this could be really banging.
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    eric your model looks really nice, good job. I think you could add another pass on the Diff and maybe enough spec just to make it all pop a bit more. Also play with the proportions because i think with some tweaks she could have more interesting shapes. good look with your entry :)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Looks great. Never seen anyone do the hair planes like that in Zbrush before. How was that process for you? Easier than other techniques?
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work man. I also think that you could push the specular on the skin a bit more.
    I also have a question for you - would you mind explaining why did you sculpt the hair like that- are those just planes and you sculpted it on top of them and is it just in order to bake easier?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments and crits guys!

What do you guys think could be improved about the texture? I think personally that I need to work on adding more colors into my texture and perhaps working on adding a bit more variation and wear and stuff. Perhaps tightening things up a bit. Any elaboration would be awesome/thoughts on what you guys see!

@MrNinjutsu/disanski - Thanks guys! The hair was kind of just a random thought I had. My main concern was the tri count so I thought that sculpting on planes would be a interesting way to keep control of how much I was spending while still giving it some depth.

Originally my idea was to sculpt out the shape on a plane, mask it, convert to a selection, delete the hidden areas then extrude it, but I found I liked the result of just baking straight from a plane for this particularly one. It's a technique I definitely want to play with more.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Eric, thanks for your answer.
    Well personally me- I would like to see some small pores added to your specular map just to break it up a bit. I know it is a female character and all that but skin is skin. Take a look at the bottom of that page and you will see what i mean. Does not have to be a lot just very very subtle.

Also since she is a warrior perhaps there could be some variation on the skin ( some parts of the skin are getting sweaty before others and looks more grease and shiny than others - like under the eyes inner section and above/outside section of the upper lips) Those are very small things but I am sure it will make a difference.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch man, great feedback!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there are some major improvements you could make, obviously focus on the armor since that is the task at hand, but the body will certainly contribute to their decision as well.

armor:
    Fur isn't reading well for me, looks more like lumpy grey brains than fur. Needs finer detail, and probably some alpha planes to really look like fur.

body:
    it could be bad lighting, but on the lowpoly the boobs tend to look like fake boobs. This could be a presentation thing, but it seems like they could be a little closer together.

Something feels off about the face too, the female faces in your portfolio look better to me, dunno, might be some of that uncanny valley shit.

good luck
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    overall clean work, i do agree with most of archillesians comment though.

The Fake boob look is because you added too much shadow in your diffuse
    Also the hairline should be a tad bit lower i think
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits ach/raven! I agree about the boobs, The concept had some really fake looking ones so I was trying to follow that but its easy to see I might of overdone it a bit. I'm going to to play with both of your suggestions about the spacing and diffuse. Thanks :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some free time tonight so I decided to go back and try to improve a couple things and spruce it up a bit. Still didn't get everything that I wanted/should have but I'm content overall :)

EricHart_ANTest_006.jpg

EricHart_ANTest_001.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THIS LOOKS SO SOLID!

Please tell me the eyes are a GW style, they're really the only thing lacking right now (size)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man :D

Is it the eye overall that's throwing it off or just the iris size? I shrunk the iris size a bit but maybe its the whole eyes overall that could be to big? Could be I needed to go with thicker/more prominent eye lashes to fill the area out a bit more too, hmm...
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the eyes themselves are just too big overall, mostly too wide but still overly big

they end too far out, but they start in the right spot. Shouldnt the human head be 5 eyes wide when viewed straight on? [-][o][-][o][-]
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool thanks man, I'll play around a bit and see how I can improve them!
  • turistainc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turistainc polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work! Textures are great. I agree with the comments about the eyes. Also not too fond of the bubble breasts, but that seems to be the style these days...

Good luck!
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man! I agree about the silly boobs but I figured I would try and stay true to the concept which was equally silly :poly124: I still should play with the diffuse under them like raven suggested tho!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    the concept doesnt look like she has implants, but your model does.
    if you just make the transition of the top of the breasts smoother it will look more like naturally big rather than implants.
    see attached paintover.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow you're absolutely right about that. I really look up to your work man so it's awesome to me for you to take the time to do this. One of those things I just wasn't even processing until seeing the paint over. thanks! I'm looking forward to working the issues out you guys mentioned. :D
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey she's looking good, the face is the only other thing that seems to be lettering her down. The combination of the receding hairline and excessively big/wide eyes is very off putting. The jawline needs abit of attention, I know this is stylised but compare it to some real ref and you'll see what I mean.

Fix all the crits and she'l look great :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Looking good, everyone said some pretty good critiques but one thing that I think no one mentioned is the heels on the shoes...WAY too thin to be walking on those. Make those thicker or change them into boot heels, that will make it seem like your character is planting their weight on the ground.